PDA

View Full Version : Shoaling Fish

RSJennings
07/21/2009, 07:22 AM
I am starting a 72 gal bow front, and I want some shoaling fish.
I like Anthias but I don't think my tank is large enough for as many as I would like. I know Chromis will shoal, but they seem ordinary. I was told Kaudern's Cardinal will shoal but when I asked my lfs they said it was more hit and miss. If anyone has a species in mind that I can keep at least 3 of in my tank, please tell me all you know about them.

LobsterOfJustice
07/21/2009, 07:30 AM
The kaudern cardinal only shoals when young, as they mature a pair will form and will kill the others.

Your best bet is another type of cardinal, like orangelined or longspine.

Gwynhidwy
07/21/2009, 08:08 AM
Take a look at either Apogon leptacanthus or Apogon cyanosoma.

RSJennings
07/21/2009, 08:24 AM
Apogon cyanosoma or orangelined cardinal is a good looking fish. Thanks for the suggestion. I am looking for a species with
bright colors, is there any other species besides Cardinals that shoal. Thanks again for the input .

LobsterOfJustice
07/21/2009, 09:30 AM
You can certainly have some anthias in that tank, but they will not shoal as well as the cardinals. They will still look good though. If you choose anthias you kind of have to plan the tank around them because they will take up a good portion of the bioload because of their numbers, larger size, and frequent feedings.

BonesCJ
07/21/2009, 10:31 AM
I've got 4 pyjama cardinals that shoal, their colors are not really that "Bright" but their patterning and yellow faces w/ red eyes look really cool.

RSJennings
07/21/2009, 12:27 PM
I may have counted the chromis species out a little to soon.
I have been looking on blue zoo and I had no idea they're
so many type of Chromis. Chromis vanderbilti, insolata, and retrofasciata. These 3 are beautiful fish, but blue zoo dosn't tell anything about them. Does anyone know if all the Chromis species will shoal?