PDA

View Full Version : Any way to re-glue a poorly-done area on a DIY acrylic sump?

widmer
07/21/2009, 09:00 AM
Hi folks-

Yesterday was my first day ever playing with acrylic and weldon. I was building a sump, and one of the corners is really pretty poorly fused together. So I tried running some solvent (weldon 3) on the edge and it just wouldn't seep in to fuse the acrylic in that area.

Is there any type of blade etc I can slide in there to remove a fraction of a hair's width of acrylic so the weldon will be able to seep in there and fuse it together?

Or should I just use weldon 16 around the inside there like silicone and not worry about it, since the sump is 3/8" acrylic and only holding 5 inches of water?

widmer
07/21/2009, 09:05 AM
Specifics-

Sump is 12" wide, 20" long, 8" tall. There are 2 acrylic baffles glued in, dividing the sump in 1/3rds. It's 3/8" acrylic.

The poorly done corner is a verticle edge where the top 6" is maybe 80% fused when you account for bubbles, and the bottom 2" is maybe only 20% fused. However, the connection between these panels and the bottom panel is like 95% fused.

Like I say, the whole thing is only going to have 4-5" of water in it.

troylee
07/21/2009, 09:27 AM
Run the 16 just like you mentioned in a nice bead like silicone......and don't sweat it.....

widmer
07/21/2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks I kind of figured that would be the option that made the most sense. So I actually just now took it a step further, and 16'd in a small peice of acrylic which will kind of act like a monster heavy bead.

It looks awefully ghetto, but it made the decision a whole lot easier which end is going to be the back end of the sump :thumbsup: