PDA

View Full Version : Also thinking of going t5

PogoMonogo
07/21/2009, 09:14 AM
I've got a 90g aquarium with 2-250w 10k hqi and 4 54w t5. A friend is getting rid of an 8 bulb tek light. Am I downgrading/upgrading? I am just really paranoid about killing my sps, I have about 50 in here plus lps and zoo.

john90009
07/21/2009, 09:29 AM
Well it will be enough light for sure i use a 6 bulb setup on my 75 so it will be good. It is really up to you as if you can live without the shimmer.

PogoMonogo
07/21/2009, 09:58 AM
Yeah no big deal. I want the control over color really. The heat reduction is nice though as well as energy consumption. I am just so nervous about my sps no being happy.

SunnyX
07/21/2009, 10:20 AM
While the Tek fixture isn't the greatest of fixtures you should have no problems running 8 bulbs. If possible, aim a fan towards the fixture ot aid the bulbs in cooling.

The bulbs you run will make or break the system. For blue bulbs I recommend the Ati Blue+, stay away from actinic bulbs as they have very low output. For a white bulbs the ATI Aquablue Specials are great. For a purple/red "pop" the KZ Fiji Purple bulbs are good.

I use a 7 bulb Aquactinic Constellation and have no problem growing SPS in my 100gl. ;)

PogoMonogo
07/21/2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks sunny, I always trust your advice. What's your opinion on the tek, why do you say it's not the greatest?

sedor
07/21/2009, 10:27 AM
The only complaint i've ever heard about Tek is the lack of fans. Apparently, since the fixture does not have built in fans, when the bulbs heat up after being on for a couple hours they lose a lot of performance. Thats why sunny suggested using a fan to blow over the bulbs.

I have also heard rumors about Tek features coming out with a new version with fans later this year. I myself am going to invest in a Tek fixture soon, so i'd definately take the deal if I were you :)

PogoMonogo
07/21/2009, 10:36 AM
Sweet the fan is no problem, I'll see what bulbs it has, but getting new ones aren't an issue either.

JRechcygl
07/21/2009, 12:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15389766#post15389766 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ryandlf
The only complaint i've ever heard about Tek is the lack of fans. Apparently, since the fixture does not have built in fans, when the bulbs heat up after being on for a couple hours they lose a lot of performance. Thats why sunny suggested using a fan to blow over the bulbs.

I have also heard rumors about Tek features coming out with a new version with fans later this year. I myself am going to invest in a Tek fixture soon, so i'd definately take the deal if I were you :)
The model with fans SHOULD be on display at MACNA this year....
Even without fans Teks are solid units... You can just get more with an actively cooled fixture..

If you can get 1 lamp per 3" of tank depth you should be good as far as coverage and SPS growth is concerned. As long as lamps are good and the water quality requirements are met.