PDA

View Full Version : Using Wild Live Rock & Shells

J2FcM
07/21/2009, 12:15 PM
Hello,

Recently, some relatives gave me some large shells, (found somewhere in the atlantic south of FL), some live rock\coral skeltons from South Beach Miami, and some more shells from OuterBanks, NC.

Now, I have no idea what the laws are on taking that stuff, and I work under the assumption that its not ok... but the fact is, they were given to me, and now I have them; so I am hoping I can actually recycle these and put them to good use in my aquarium.

But thus far, I've only kept basic corals, and housed basic fish, my Mantis shrimp and an Urchin. I don't know the possible chemical effects (excuse the term if its incorrect) if I add these rocks, shells, and skeletons.

Also, from what I understand I need to cure the items by scrubbing them, and letting them cycle so all the dead algae and organisms inside wont rot in my aquarium and send out an ammonia spike... is this correct???
If so can it be cured by just sitting in tap water for a few weeks?

Thank you for any advice or pointers!

~J2

der_wille_zur_macht
07/21/2009, 12:35 PM
Soak, scrub, rinse, repeat (in tap water) until things look clean, and the rinse water comes off totally clean.

Then, soak in saltwater for a few hours/days, and run standard tests (ammonia, etc.) If things come up OK, it's probably fairly safe to put the items in your tank.

romsoccer12
07/21/2009, 01:33 PM
i got some shells that i just washed and scrubbed and threw them in. nothing bad happened

atwinparadox2
07/21/2009, 01:45 PM
could you boil something like that, or would it just disintegrate from the temperature of the water?

circusink22
07/21/2009, 02:02 PM
my grandparents traval alot and bring me home shells from all over the world and i put them in my tanks after boiling and scrubbing them, sometimes i will put some coral frags on em. I think you will be fine scrubbing and or boiling

macronut
07/21/2009, 07:46 PM
I've collected many shells while in FLA. Some for hermits to move into, and others for decorative purposes. The larger shells are great for attaching to your live rock. Espeically two shells of equal size and same type can be attached to look like clams....great for pods to hide in as the fish can't get to them...if you allow gaps between them they make great places for smaller fish to hide.

J2FcM
07/22/2009, 10:18 AM
awsum! thanks for the heads up!