PDA

View Full Version : Retracted Acan, donīt know what to do, help!

plancton
07/21/2009, 04:26 PM
Ok so this acan has been retracted for 3 weeks, donīt know why. At night it kept its tentacles out though, and I fed it, except for this last week, it hasnīt put its tentacles out. And it looks so bad, this is the way it looked 2 months ago:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/avillax/IMG_1043.jpg

This is the way it looks now:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/avillax/IMG_1140.jpg

my other 3 acans look ok, but they are not as puffy or open as before.

salinity: 1.024
dkh: 10
calc:400 mg/l
magnesium: 1280 mg/l
temp, 25-27c
NO3: 1-2 PPM
phos:0
lighting: 6x 80 watt t5 (2 actinic under normal ballast, 4 x 15000k under icecap) bulbs are 7 months old.

northernreefer0
07/21/2009, 04:47 PM
Have you gave the acan a dip??? I would give it a dip in Tropic Marine Pro Coral Cure and move it to lower light and heavy flow.

plancton
07/21/2009, 05:00 PM
its right by the bottom, I actually moved it yesterday to a place of higher light still in the bottom and it stays the same, should I try giving it yet lower light?, can I use seachem reef dip (iodine)?, I say this because I do have that, but no tropic marine pro coral cure.

Ohiomom
07/21/2009, 05:06 PM
If I were you I would try moving to a spot that is slightly shaded..that is a lot of light for an acan imo. Had you moved it before it closed up on you?

plancton
07/21/2009, 05:08 PM
No I hadnīt until yesterday, and to no change, so are you saying that 6x 80 watt t5s is lots of lighting for an acan even if they are at the bottom?

plancton
07/21/2009, 05:14 PM
Thereīs a favia next to them, at night its polyps are out but are really short, canīt even reach them, does that have anything to do?

Ohiomom
07/21/2009, 05:17 PM
Acans are not as light dependent as other corals at least I don't think so..I have mine on the bottom under 4 x 54 watts..now I assume I have a smaller tank than you but still. It doesn't look like it is receeding at all just irritated so I would probably try that first although a dip couldn't hurt either. Is there any direct flow to the coral. They do not like a lot of flow either.

ReeferChick85
07/21/2009, 05:27 PM
I had the same problem with my aussie acan a while back and had no idea what the heck was wrong with it. It happened suddenly and lasted for a few weeks and then all of a sudden came back to normal. My other acans were fine tho except that one. I fed it,moved it,dipped it and finally just let it be where it was originally and it got better after a while. I checked all parameters and everything was in check. Also did water changes. I think you should dip it just to be safe and maybe take a turkey baster and blow on or around the where it was located. Maybe something is irritating it. Good luck on your acan and hope it gets better which i'm pretty sure it will :)

vegita51
07/21/2009, 06:59 PM
I would definitely move it away from the favia. and just watch it from there.