PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Panels

BigMike75
07/21/2009, 08:55 PM
Just bought a 90 gallon RR tank today and I need to build a stand. Does anyone know about the magnetic panels that you can use for doors? I would like to make one big door on front and small door on side of stand.

I googled it and came up with magnetic door locks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

cdness
07/21/2009, 10:09 PM
you can gain lots of flexibility using some neodymium magnetic discs with the hole in the center for mounting screws. They can be fit into almost any design. I wish my stand was held together that way for flexibility.

big400g
07/21/2009, 11:33 PM
So the main issue will be supporting the tank with the whole front open, for my 400 gal I used a large steel beam filled with 2x4's this game me amazing strength and allows me to support the apprx 4,000 pounds of water etc. I built a large frame for the front access and built 4 doors. The doors will hinge on the frame like normal for simple daily access, but the frame is attached to the stand with powerful magnets so if I need to get stuff in and out all I have to do is take off the frame and doors. You would not want the large panel to take off every time you have to access your sump. Just my 2 cents

BigMike75
07/21/2009, 11:58 PM
If anyone has some pictures that would be awesome.

Thanks

big400g
07/22/2009, 12:14 AM
None right now... I am still in progress. Just use a router and counter sink the magnets into the wood of your panel, door or whatever. I bought some metallic paint at HD a while back, I have not used it but it is supposed to allow you to paint it on and hang magnets off the painted surface.

BigMike75
07/22/2009, 01:37 PM
bump

big400g
07/23/2009, 11:46 AM
There has to be other people using magnetic panels... I have seen it before. Photos please...

BigMike75
07/23/2009, 11:51 AM
+1 what he said ;-)

troylee
07/23/2009, 01:52 PM
this is the plan for my stand but i have not got thus far yet....it's still a steel frame rhino lined....lol... what exactly do you need to see????you said exactly the way i planned on doing it routing out the wood on the back and inlay some magnet's for easy removal....or make a hanging bar where the panel just lifts off like a flat screen t.v. on a wall.....my plan was to skin the frame and put doors for easy accsess so it looks like a regular wooden stand and also have the whole panel removable if need be.......hth....:)

noahm
07/23/2009, 02:05 PM
I just pressed some rare earth magnets into holes I cut with a forstner bit. A glob of superglue gel and pressed them in. I had welded 1"x1" tabs on the inside of the frame so i could achieve the recessed look. I used 4 magnets, one on each corner for the end panels, and the front hinged doors just have a single magnet each to latch it shut. I think I got the epoxy magnets from magnets4less or something like that. Just google rare earth magnet.

pics FWIW.

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo202/Yerdum/IMG_4370.jpg

BigMike75
07/23/2009, 02:26 PM
Where my problem is, what are the magnets sticking to? What can I put on the inside of the stand?

troylee
07/23/2009, 02:33 PM
is it metal or wood???if it's wood just get some sheet metal 90's and screw them in the corners of the wooden stand and now you have a metal surface for the magnet's to attach......18ga or thicker...prefferably...

BigMike75
07/23/2009, 03:08 PM
Wood stand. Magnets on the back of the wood panel. How would the 90 work? Seems like that would be opposite of the panel.

noahm
07/23/2009, 04:19 PM
So you just need a metal surface on the wood frame, correct? they make little metal strike plates for magnetic cabinet latches. They are about 1"x1" , fairly thin and have a recessed screw hole for attachment. You could easily use them. Check at the cabinet hardware section.

It is the little square thing with the hole in it in these pics

http://www.cabinetmakerssupply.com/magnetic_cabinet_supply_632_ctg.htm

big400g
07/23/2009, 04:21 PM
The magnet goes into the wood of the door/panel so it is flush and does not stick out. You then take a hunk of steel on your stand that lines up with the magnet, you set the metal back into your stand the same amount as you want the door/panel to sit in, lets say your door is 1/2" and you want the front of the door/panel flush the metal would be back 1/2". Using a 90 degree angle would give you easy installation allowing you to screw one side into your stand the other sticks out for the magnet to attach to.

hope that helps

big400g
07/23/2009, 04:25 PM
Noahm, that is a very nice looking stand... I just like looking at photos of other peoples handi-work like yours. I like your color combinations and clean design, nice find on that figured maple (I think that is what it is).

noahm
07/23/2009, 05:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15404632#post15404632 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by big400g
Noahm, that is a very nice looking stand... I just like looking at photos of other peoples handi-work like yours. I like your color combinations and clean design, nice find on that figured maple (I think that is what it is).

Thanks. amazing what you can do with some clean poplar, a little stain and 1/4" maple plywood ;) Just have to be a bit selective.

BigMike75
07/23/2009, 07:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15404614#post15404614 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by big400g
The magnet goes into the wood of the door/panel so it is flush and does not stick out. You then take a hunk of steel on your stand that lines up with the magnet, you set the metal back into your stand the same amount as you want the door/panel to sit in, lets say your door is 1/2" and you want the front of the door/panel flush the metal would be back 1/2". Using a 90 degree angle would give you easy installation allowing you to screw one side into your stand the other sticks out for the magnet to attach to.

hope that helps

Are you talking about putting the plate in the gap between the door and the stand, like on the edge of the door but not on the door. Did I say that right?

It is a awesome looking stand.

big400g
07/24/2009, 12:46 AM
nope, the angle would come down and essentially be a door stop that the magnet would attach to as well, magnet in the door, metal on the stand. Or you can use metal to build the stand and not worry about the angle metal, just magnet attach to the stand.

BigMike75
07/24/2009, 09:10 AM
Thanks, I a pretty sure I understand it.

If anyone has any pictures of this setup on a wood stand they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BigMike75
07/24/2009, 09:31 AM
Just found this picture from another thread link.

//reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/221314NeoLatchesCabinetArt.gif

If the door was like a raised panel this would work good.

big400g
07/24/2009, 12:30 PM
that looks like a plan, those magnets are most likely more expensive than a normal round or rectangular magnet. you will still want to cover the screws with epoxy or paint to keep it from rusting as bad.

BigMike75
07/24/2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks, that is what I wanted to hear.

MattShack
07/24/2009, 03:04 PM
I bought some magnets from magnet4less for some removable panels. I have some pics on my build thread of the magnets, I'll post them over here in a min. Also, Acrosteve I think on his build thread shows some pics of some magnets he embedded in some wood for removable panels.

MattShack
07/24/2009, 03:12 PM
Here are some pics of the magnets. I think they were about $30 shipped for the order. Each magnet has 25 lb pull strenght, they are 5/8" disc. It is extrememly hard to pull two of them apart.

http://captivatingmarine.com/images/1000galbuild/070909mag1.JPG

Here are two holding through a 2"x4". There not holding real strong, but it's enough to support the bottom magnet. Gives you an idea of the strength.

http://captivatingmarine.com/images/1000galbuild/070909magnet2.JPG

Here's the link to Acrosteve's build. The magnets are toward to bottom of the page. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1441135&perpage=25&pagenumber=29

BigMike75
07/24/2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks

coralfragger101
07/25/2009, 04:02 AM
I see that you already came up with a picture to show you how to do it by countersinking a magnet in the door as well as the frame.

They DO NOT need to be the magnets with holes in them which are probably more expensive. My panels are countersunk with magnets just glued into them and I have a metal frame. Works great because the bottom of the panels are actually supported by the floor (with adjustable legs cause me floor isn't level) it doesn't have to have a whole lot of strength just to keep them upright against the frame. It would be a different story (and a lot more magnets) if you need to have the door stick in mid air so to speak.

What I did was counter sunk a hole and glued with super glue and then covered the entire panels with formica. The magnets can't even be seen but stick to the outside of the metal frame very well.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/coralfragger101/New%20120%20gal%20Reef%20Project/Almost_Done.jpg

Even the pieces to hide the crude in the corners of the tank that doesn't clean too easily with a scraper are held there with magnets embedded within the corner strip and the edge of the panels themselves. I ran out of mica and had to get more. The very left hand edges weren't completed yet when I took this photo.

BigMike75
07/25/2009, 08:27 PM
That is cool looking, thanks

A. Grandis
07/31/2009, 12:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15410456#post15410456 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MattShack
Here are some pics of the magnets. I think they were about $30 shipped for the order. Each magnet has 25 lb pull strenght, they are 5/8" disc. It is extrememly hard to pull two of them apart.

http://captivatingmarine.com/images/1000galbuild/070909mag1.JPG

Here are two holding through a 2"x4". There not holding real strong, but it's enough to support the bottom magnet. Gives you an idea of the strength.

http://captivatingmarine.com/images/1000galbuild/070909magnet2.JPG

Matt:

Could you please let me know where to get those mags?
Do you have a link for the site?
Thanks a lot.
Grandis.

Here's the link to Acrosteve's build. The magnets are toward to bottom of the page. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1441135&perpage=25&pagenumber=29

A. Grandis
08/02/2009, 10:21 PM
Hi Matt:

Could you please let me know where to get those mags?
Do you have a link for the site?
Thanks a lot.
Grandis.

MattShack
08/02/2009, 10:46 PM
Sorry Grandis. I missed this the other day. Here is the link to the ones I got. They have a lot of others also.

http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_11&products_id=128

A. Grandis
08/02/2009, 10:59 PM
Thank you very much Matt!!
I´ve got a 48 X 40 high X 1/2 think ply to be held by the mags. What would be the best?
I would like to have stainless mags with the hole in the center for the screws.
Thanks.
Grandis

MattShack
08/02/2009, 11:05 PM
What are you attaching to panels to? 2x4's, plywood?

That's a farily heavy panel. Is there a way you could embed the magnets into the frame instead of the panel and use washers on the panel to attach to the magnets. The magnets with the holes in the center don't have the holding strength of the solid ones until they get kinda thick.

I would definitely use the neodynium magnets and if they are going to be exposed to salt spray the same website has some that are epoxy coated and is what I would suggest using.

MattShack
08/02/2009, 11:07 PM
Just found these with holes. One of these may work better.

18, 26, 80 and 120 lb pull force

http://www.magnet4less.com/index.php?cPath=1_95

Just don't under estimate how strong that is :D I can hardly get two with 25 lb pull force apart and then only by sliding them apart, no way to just pull them apart.

A. Grandis
08/02/2009, 11:08 PM
Yeap, to 2X4s. I can make holes.
The thing is heavy for sure.
Grandis.

MattShack
08/02/2009, 11:11 PM
What about drilling in from the back side of the 2x4 until there is just about 1/8" of 2x4 left where the magnet goes. Install from the back and fill the hole with silicone or whatever and it would be sealed from corrosion. Use washers on the plywood, you may even be able to "rabbit" into the side of the plywood and install the washer and neither the washer or the magnets could be seen.

You could start with one in each corner and see how it holds. If it needs more add some in the middle.

A. Grandis
08/02/2009, 11:22 PM
That´s a great idea Matt!!
But what about the front side?
I have only the out side of the 1/2 plywood to play with.

Grandis.

MattShack
08/02/2009, 11:30 PM
What about a bar magnet that is thinner but has more surface area? I'm not sure exactally what your layout is, but if you're trying to hide the magnet in the plywood a thinner magnet with more surface area may work.

http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_122&products_id=674

A. Grandis
08/02/2009, 11:37 PM
How many magnets and how many lbs force do you think would hold my plywood?

Grandis.

MattShack
08/02/2009, 11:43 PM
I don't know how much it weighs, but the magnets shear strength is not going to be near the same as pull force and I have no idea how to calculate the shear.

I would guess if you weighed the panel and put 4 magnets, one in each corner to start, if you got a magnet with a pull force close to equal of the weight of the panel, the shear of all 4 magnets should do the job. That is where I would start. Like I said, you could add more in the centers (down the edges) if needed. That is where I would start. But, I'm not positive.

I'm assuming the panel will not be resting on the floor or a ledge and the magnets will be holding the total weight. right?

A. Grandis
08/02/2009, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I would need the mags to hold the panel, not touching the carpet.
I guess I´ll get to buy some of the ones you´ve got to try out.

In your case, what´s the weight of the panel and how many mags do you have? This way I´ll have an idea...
Grandis.

MattShack
08/02/2009, 11:56 PM
I haven't built mine yet, but they are going to be 1/4" birch and only about 24" x 30" . I would suggest calling the company and getting their recommendation.

A. Grandis
08/03/2009, 12:03 AM
Thanks again for your great hep my friend!!
I´ll do that.
Aloha,
Grandis.