PDA

View Full Version : What else to dose in an SPS tank?

Logzor
07/22/2009, 07:32 AM
I am trying to find a reason to hook up a 3rd pump to my LMIII (I like having more gadgets hooked up for some reason). Right now I dose two-part and I top off with limewater. I dump in Mg once a week or so that is not necessary.

I want to figure out if there is anything else that would be beneficial for an sps tank. I may be starting up some phyto cultures but do those even help sps?

Any idea's?

plyle02
07/22/2009, 08:01 AM
I automated magnesium on my 3 channel doser, but I suspect you could dose whatever you wanted, nice option...

Logzor
07/22/2009, 08:03 AM
I considered mag but it is really easy to dump in a measuring cup full every few weeks.

I figure I should take advantage of something that must be dosed throughout the day.

Some people have played with the idea of vodka but I havent even started dosing that by hand yet.

stagcrazy
07/22/2009, 08:21 AM
u coulD always use it as your ATO and dose kalk.

Logzor
07/22/2009, 08:24 AM
I could dose extra kalk as my pH gets low when the windows are closed.

The thing is I already have spectrapures ATO unit. This is separate from the LMIII.

Any thoughts on phyto or other "grown" organism to feed the tank?

ReefWreak
07/22/2009, 08:27 AM
I did vodka on my third pump, but now I'm using it for topoff, so I have to go back to manual dosing on the vodka :(

No, phyto doesn't help SPS growth nor feed them directly. Don't bother, as you'll just be adding additional nutrients to the system.

Logzor
07/22/2009, 08:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15395907#post15395907 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefWreak
I did vodka on my third pump, but now I'm using it for topoff, so I have to go back to manual dosing on the vodka :(

No, phyto doesn't help SPS growth nor feed them directly. Don't bother, as you'll just be adding additional nutrients to the system.

That is what I figured. How did you feel about vodka on the third pump?

How did much did you dilute it and at what point did you switch from manual to auto dosing vodka?

It seems like a great idea because it would be so consistient over the day. I wonder if that consistency would completely change the ballgame of vodka dosing.

ReefWreak
07/22/2009, 08:29 AM
You can feed the tank rotifers or decapsulated nauplii, but I believe the concensus is that fishpoop is more or less just as effective as any food. In fact, I've never really seen any proof of any food helping growth. Best things are keeping your parameters consistent over a long period of time, adequate light, low nutrient levels.