PDA

View Full Version : Caribbean Striped Mantis Shrimp

nikesb4l
07/22/2009, 04:20 PM
Lysiosquillina glabriuscula, has anyone ever had one?

Gonodactylus
07/22/2009, 06:02 PM
Many. Everything that goes for L. maculata is the same for L. g except that they don't get quite as large topping out a little over 20 cm. They may grow a bit faster than L. maculata, but I don't have good data on this.

Roy

nikesb4l
07/22/2009, 06:25 PM
My friends are in florida and he discribed L. glabriuscula to me over the phone. He said that there's a bunch of them that show in the low tide on the beach. Hes going to wait till the last day and bring me one home if all works out.
Dr.Roy what kind of substrate would you suggest? I live 5 mins from the beach and i can get a lot of different grain sizes and mixes. I can also buy substrate.

nikesb4l
07/23/2009, 03:58 PM
I was thinking about making a deep sand bed refugium tank for it if i even get one tomorrow im not sure though. I would connect it to my 112 reef, with the 46 gal sump any imput?

Gonodactylus
07/23/2009, 04:03 PM
Does your friend know how to catch them - or are they out of their burrows?

Roy

nikesb4l
07/23/2009, 07:35 PM
he said that the tide gets low enough that you can walk compleatly around them. They didnt know what was in the holes at first untill they started to undig and saw a huge striped mantis. I would assume that they would undig around it. what is the proper way to extract them? I can pass the word to them.

Gonodactylus
07/24/2009, 08:32 AM
The burrows of Lysiosquillina are usually several feet long and hard to dig out. I use a noose inserted into the burrow entrance about 6 inches and then attract the animal to the surface with bait, pulling the noose tight when the animal comes through it.

Roy

nikesb4l
07/24/2009, 11:58 AM
they made slurp guns but i dont think there large enough for a Lysiosquillina there also looking for N. wennerae's and P. Ciliata's also. I'm not sure how they plan on catching the lysiosquillina i hope they do though!

Gonodactylus
07/24/2009, 12:18 PM
Slurp guns and yabbie pumps don't work for Lysiosquillina, but they do for smaller sand and mud burrowers such as Coronis.

P. ciliata are best caught with a hand net on flats at very low tides.

N. wennerae are easily obtained by breaking up LR right at the low tide line or a bit deeper - but check the state fish and game regulations.

Roy