PDA

View Full Version : What to put in refugium? why?

troublesx10
07/22/2009, 09:30 PM
i am replacing my wet/dry for a refugium. I am confused and undecided what to put in it. in some cases i hear of deep sand bed with chaeto, some say miracle mud, and some say mix miracle mud with sand and chaeto? but what about mangroove roots, red algea? I honestly have no idea what to put in it. I would appreciate any input-- i know there will be divided opionions, but I think i will go with the input/guidance that seems to be most numerous and make the most amount of sence.

The reason why i am putting in a refugium--- increased bio densisty, nitrite/phosphate reducing properties, and increased health/food source for all my corals and fish in my tank....

thegrun
07/22/2009, 09:47 PM
Chaeto for sure, as it grows it removes nitrates from your water. A 6" deep sand bed is nice also, it does the same thing, removes nitrates although I don't think as well as chaeto. Mangroves do not grow fast enough to help your tank much, but if you like the look of a tree growing out of your tank, it doesn't hurt anything.

FullFathomFive
07/22/2009, 10:43 PM
http://www.ipsf.com/refugiumstartup.html

cviacona
07/22/2009, 10:46 PM
mud and then sand on top and then live rock and then chaeto then small clean up crew. i have had this for year and half under my 150 gallon and it works great

Agu
07/22/2009, 11:54 PM
Chaeto over rock rubble. The chaeto grows fast and the rubble reduces nitrates. And if you're fragging corals the rubble comes in handy to mount frags.

wesley6610
07/23/2009, 08:20 AM
I used mangroves for a bit and some chaeto in the past, but now I converted my fuge into a rubble rock garden and its full of pods, micro starfish and other life as well. So its really up to you and what you think will work best with your display tank. Reef success equals trial and error.

korth659
07/23/2009, 11:44 AM
+1 chaeto

Nanz
07/23/2009, 01:59 PM
LR rubble, Cheato, Pods, brittle stars