PDA

View Full Version : T5 Ballast Placement

Milhouse
07/23/2009, 11:52 PM
OK, so I installed a retrofit in my canopy. I was wondering where people usually install their ballasts. I've thought about the wall behind the tank, but then I wondered what I'd do when I wanted to take off the canopy(just let all the extra wires hang so I'd have slack? seems unsightly). Do people install them in the canopy? I'd be a little worried about water splashing on them. Any tips? I have two ballasts, one a normal output, the other an Icecap 660. What do you guys do?

JRechcygl
07/24/2009, 06:46 AM
I built a wooden frame to house my retro... Ballasts are on top..
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e228/joerechcygl/hood021.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e228/joerechcygl/hood024.jpg

Milhouse
07/24/2009, 10:39 AM
Well, I've already wired and mounted the retro inside the canopy. I'm just looking for ideas as to where to put the ballasts. Is it standard practice to mount them inside the canopy?

Mike31154
07/24/2009, 01:09 PM
Although there is some flexibility with respect to mounting, each ballast has somewhat different requirements as far a wire run length. Your best bet is to find out from each manufacturer what the limits are and/or what can be done if you're contemplating somewhat longer wire runs. I use two Workhorse 8 ballasts mounted on the top of my ghetto aluminum retrofit lighting frame, so the wire run is fairly short. In most cases, the shorter the better. Fulham, the company that manufactures the Workhorse also makes a 'Longhorse' which is specifically designed for more remote installation. I have seen information where someone contacted Fulham wrt to using a Workhorse remotely wired and their tech said it was fine provided the person used a minimum 18 guage wire to extend the run.

Above water level may be safer provided the ballast is adequately protected from humidity, so your canopy is fine. Just ensure all your connections are made with moisture resistant connectors and you provide adequate ventilation. The ballasts will add to the heat inside your canopy, along with the heat produced by the lamps themselves. In that regard, remote installation of the ballast is advantageous. Most commercially available T5HO fixtures have the ballasts mounted/ built in to the fixture itself.