PDA

View Full Version : Acro Crab

DFason
07/24/2009, 02:45 PM
I have seen a few of these little guys on LA. Are they safe? I love little inverts and may pick it up.

http://liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+4&ddid=67780

-dave

wrestle1952
07/24/2009, 11:13 PM
I've had several in my tank on various acros. The really don't seem to bother anything.

dots
07/25/2009, 02:04 AM
There are a couple to watch out for the white masked ones called bandits I believe and the fuzzy ones called Teddy Bear or Gorillas

1DeR9_3Hy
07/25/2009, 04:00 PM
I had a teddy bear that lived on my pavona, not really a acro crab. It would scurry out from its hiding place everytime a piece of food stuck to the pavona, grab it and scurry back to its hiding place.

I accidentally sucked it out last week during a siphoning event....

xXreefracerXx
07/25/2009, 05:39 PM
From what ive always heard there hard to come by, Most people that have aquired them always came as hitchhikers in a colony

jcgso
07/25/2009, 08:17 PM
I have had a couple come in as hitch hikers. Before I knew better, I took them out. Now I would keep them in the tank.

eros
07/26/2009, 07:52 AM
I got one as a hitchhiker in a Mille colony I bought. It's one of my favorite things in my tank. He's a mean little sucker too. He throws his claws up at anything that gets too close. Once I made an accidental frag of the colony which I would have never noticed until I saw the frag moving around. I'm not sure if he was trying to throw it out or what but it was hilarious to watch. He also hops to other colonies on the other side of the tank, but he always comes back to the original Mille.

DFason
07/28/2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the reply's guys. I am really looking for one. If anyone has one and wants to get rid of it..... ;)

Do you have any pictures?

-Dave

Marklu
07/28/2009, 09:16 PM
Not to hijack, but I was wondering if anybody knows if acro crabs eat AEFWs? I have a colony with an acro crab that is surrounded by some frags that are suffering from AEFWs, but the colony with the the crab has remained unaffected. Anybody know?

lobsterotomy
07/29/2009, 02:13 AM
It's supposed that the acropora commensals are supposed to aid in cleaning the corals. I forget where I read this but a study had supposedly been done to look at detrius settling on corals, and they found that there was a significant reduction in detrius settling on colonies with commensal crabs, as they supposedly help to keep the coral clean.

Aslo, mine in my pocilliopora always swipes at anything that comes near - it probably defends the coral against potential predators too, so it's likely that they can also fend off AEFWs and other pests too.

I don't know if this is coincidental or a spurious correlation, but I had a millie with an acro crab for the longest time, till I got a hawkfish (that I have since rid myself of) that ate it. Now that colony doesn't show nearly as much PE and seems less healthy.