PDA

View Full Version : Adding LR to an established tank

Dangsy
07/25/2009, 07:15 AM
So I've recently gotten really tired of my "single large rock island" pico and was hoping to go more traditional "stack of smaller rocks" aquascape.

If I were to add fist size and smaller LR from an established tank slowly like one every few days...what are the chances of kick starting a cycle?

Michael
07/25/2009, 08:07 AM
if the rock is cured and wet, then theres no problem adding bits every so often, ive done this myself countless times with no problems noted at all. even if the rock was'nt cured small bits wont hurt the system, its only if you add say 10 pounds of uncured all in one go you will have trouble lol.

dots
07/25/2009, 08:21 AM
You experience a "mini cycle" each time you add bioload to the system, and the oranisms that make up the cycle increase thier populations to compensate.

Even older rock that has been in another system for years, fully cured could have a bit of die off from sponges and what not being exposed.

It should be expected that a cycle will occur, but to what degree depends on the quality and quanity compared to the size of the tank.

You are wise to add it slowly over the course of time, just test and watch for increasing levels of ammonia and Nitrate.

sedor
07/25/2009, 08:28 AM
Ya just be very careful and go slowly. Make sure the rock is coming from a running tank.

I had about 15 lbs of LR in a nano a while ago, and I was breaking down the tank, it had some aiptasia on it so I figured I would just leave it in the shut down tank for a couple days. It had no water, but no circulation, heat, lights...anything. When I added it to my other DT within about a week I had a major cycle going, and I lost almost everything.