PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a NANO

ezhoops
07/25/2009, 09:05 AM
I'm trying to decide which NANO to buy. I want a 29 or 34 gal and I'm stuck between 3 makes, the JBJ, Red Sea Max, and the Cadlight.

If you have one of these makes please share your experiences with it and the good bad and ulgy of it.

I plan to use this tank mainly for a breeder for clowns but also as a semi reef tank

I intend to include
pair of clowns (hopefully a.latezonatus)
mandrin (captive bred if possible)
a pair of neon gobies
3 pepp shrimps
snails
Malu anenome

If you do own one of these nano's please share where you purchased it.

Thank you

bluefunelement
07/25/2009, 09:35 AM
I picked up a 24g Nano Cube for $25 sans hood - put a stand under and a 150w MH over it for the cost of a new one - I would say the newer 28g NC's have a better refugium chamber in the back as it has one central overflow and 2 return pumps - mine moves from left to right chambers with one return pump - probably add a 2nd soon. Heat seems to be the biggest problem with HQI hooded - hence why I went topless...
hope that helps!
Christian

ezhoops
07/25/2009, 10:16 AM
Yeah I'm concerned with the heat from HQI. I don't want to run a chiller. I guess I will really have to look at all the specs. IMO wet dry filters are sub par for reefs but I know they work I just don't like them.

JarekS
07/25/2009, 11:13 AM
I have RSM 130D and love it all except skimmer.

Some people run this tank stock and like it just fine

It is too loud for me the pump and bubble noise is too much for me since the tanks sits in my living room. So i got tunze 9002 and steveT's media rack ( just came in so have not had a chance to install yet).
Do not plan to make amy other mods. Well chiller is in the works only because my house gets litlte hot, but there is neat it included to attach chiller so no driliing no overflows no ugly pipes sticking out.
Oh and for size it says its 34 gal which is the whole tank including fuge on the back. So main display is actually 29 gal and 5 gal for fuge

Jarek

poidog81
07/25/2009, 03:50 PM
I love my jbj hqi. it's worth it to get the chiller. you'll be happer in the long run.