PDA

View Full Version : Using controller to turn my chiller on and off???

PowermanKW
07/25/2009, 07:32 PM
I turn my heater thermostat up more than I want. I use my AC Jr. to turn it's out let on and off at the temps I want.

My JBJ chiller thermostat works +/- 1 degree, but doe snor control how I want. Can I use my controller to turn the outlet on and off at the temps I want and turn my chiller down???

I guess I just concerned cutting power on and off and if that is bad to cycle the chiller like that.

Thanks for any input.

PowermanKW
07/26/2009, 07:34 AM
morning bump.

danjen10
07/26/2009, 09:41 AM
What you describe is what I do. But I wrote some code so I don't let the chiller restart for at least 10 or 15 min (can't remember). I just wanted to make sure that the chiller didn't cycle too often

I also start (or restart - depending) the pump feeding the chiller about 0.2 degrees before the chiller starts and have a delay on that too of like 5 min.

Usually during a warm day, the pump runs from about 3-9pm and the chiller comes on about 1 or 2 x per hour.

I also have a fan that comes on first. Running that chiller is expensive but it's a good insurance policy in my mind.

HTH

29reef
07/26/2009, 10:51 AM
First of all, do not trust any jbj chiller to give you an acurate reading of your temp. They are commonly off 2 or 3 degrees. I suggest you use your ACjr to controll both the heater and chiller outlets I have never programmed one myself but I would imagine it would be something like less than 78; heater outlet on. More than 80; bring chiller outlet on. this would allow a 2 degree deadband for the tank to be at. IMO this would be ideal for most aquariums.

You can set your chiller to 72 and your heater to 82; this way when their outlets are on the equipment will turn on. GL

DaveMorris
07/26/2009, 12:16 PM
The other advantage to using your controller to control both the heater and chiller is that you will have more stable temp control. Like Brian said above, the temp control in the chiller is very likely off. If you base all of your temp control on one source, the ACjr, then your tank temp will stay more stable. I don't think it does any harm at all to your chiller. They are designed to cycle on and off.

PowermanKW
07/26/2009, 05:37 PM
I set the JBJ temp to the same temp as my AC Jr. I want my tank at 80. I think it is happier a little warmer. It was at 78 when I bought it and I moved it up.

I was just worried about cycling the chiller is this manner. The code for no rapid cycles will be good I'll do that.

As far as the pump, how long is reasonable for water to just "sit" in the chiller without circulating? I would like this off too since it adds heat as well.

DaveMorris
07/27/2009, 12:14 AM
When I was running a chiller, I always had water running through it whether it was chilling it or not.

kcarrol2
07/27/2009, 06:20 AM
I agree with DaveMorris.
Is there a way to calibrate the chiller controllers and aquarium controllers to read the same temps?

PowermanKW
07/27/2009, 06:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15423010#post15423010 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kcarrol2
I agree with DaveMorris.
Is there a way to calibrate the chiller controllers and aquarium controllers to read the same temps?

Yes, you can change either one which I did.

mikeatjac
07/27/2009, 01:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15418639#post15418639 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by danjen10
What you describe is what I do. But I wrote some code so I don't let the chiller restart for at least 10 or 15 min (can't remember). I just wanted to make sure that the chiller didn't cycle too often

I also start (or restart - depending) the pump feeding the chiller about 0.2 degrees before the chiller starts and have a delay on that too of like 5 min.

Usually during a warm day, the pump runs from about 3-9pm and the chiller comes on about 1 or 2 x per hour.

I also have a fan that comes on first. Running that chiller is expensive but it's a good insurance policy in my mind.

HTH

Mine is set basically like this.

detroit_fan
07/27/2009, 02:51 PM
Be carefull letting the ACJR controll your temps, I had 3 temps sensors fail and read 122 degrees within a year. I use a ranco now for temp controll and have never had an issue. If you do some looking around the forums you will see other issues with ACJR temp probes failing.

xtm
07/27/2009, 03:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15416562#post15416562 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PowermanKW

I guess I just concerned cutting power on and off and if that is bad to cycle the chiller like that.

My RK2 and JBJ 1/10 has been setup to run like this for hmm.. 3 years? on.. off...on...off..on...off... several times during the day. No problems so far (knock on wood)

You have to set up the hysteresis mode on your controller so it doesn't turn on and off rapidly when the temperature hovers around 80 and 80.1.

PowermanKW
07/27/2009, 07:32 PM
Cool.

I know temp probes fail. I have safety statements in for high or low and check my temp every now and then against a real thermometer.

I am at least comfortable now with using the AC to run my chiller.