PDA

View Full Version : Brightwell Salt.

Pages : [1] 2

popeye20
07/26/2009, 12:07 AM
I have been using DD and Reef Crystals for a while as far as my salt goes, but have been using only the Brightwell supps for quite a while now with pretty good results and from what I can tell the products are seriously consistant and very well made. So now after saying I wish that they made salt for a while now I find out they do. Has anyone used this yet, and if so what are the opinions on it? I have not been able to find any test results on it, but have gone ahead and ordered a bucket to try out anyway. The way I see it is if the products I have used so far are any guideline to what it will be like, then it should be an outstanding product also.

HighlandReefer
07/26/2009, 07:29 AM
It would be nice to know what parameters this salt has once you test it. In order to compare it to others you will need to mix a small batch to a salinity of 1.0264 using a properly calibrated refractometer. The major interests will be the alk., calcium and magnesium levels.

Also any additional information as to what else they may add to their salt mix such as vitamins. In other salt mixes the micro-nutrients are already much higher than what is found in marine water.

These are the parameters that Billy has found:

D-D H2Ocean: 450, 10, 1380

New Reef Crystals parameters:
490 ppm calcium
13 dkh
1440 ppm magnesium

jcovercash
07/26/2009, 07:46 AM
Jeremy at Premium Aquatics tested Brightwells salt with pretty good results IMO.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1661502

Here are the numbers of the NeoMarine salt when mixed at 1.025sg:

Ion [NSW] [NeoMarine]
Chloride 19,500 19,321
Sulfate 2,711.5 2,711.5
Sodium 10,770 10,770
Magnesium 1,288 1,288
Calcium 413 413
Potassium 398.8 398.8
Bromide 67 67
Strontium 7.625 7.625
Boron 4.5 4.5
Fluoride 1.3 1.3
Alkalinity ~7.5dkh
pH 8.30

mflamb
07/26/2009, 01:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15418243#post15418243 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jcovercash
Jeremy at Premium Aquatics tested Brightwells salt with pretty good results IMO.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1661502 Those are the numbers that Brightwell is passing around. We had a Brightwell rep with some of the new salt at our last club (TBRC) meeting, and the calcium and magnesium tested lower than the advertised numbers. Alk was 7.5 at pH of 8.3.

Boomer
07/26/2009, 07:03 PM
Those numbers are a line of BS, a MILE long. Nobody can make a salt with the same exact numbers as NSW as they gave them. I want to see a data sheet for a Lab that says that.

I posted on that nonsense link ;)

GlassReef
07/26/2009, 07:25 PM
Chris is not doing himself any favors by publishing numbers like that. Anyone with just a little knowledge of the subject knows that they can't be accurate.

popeye20
07/26/2009, 09:06 PM
I agree that they may be BS, but why is it not possible to make a salt that has the same numbers as natural sea water?

ssamick
07/27/2009, 05:19 AM
I'm surprised that you are thinking of making a switch from DD's. I have had nothing but great results since I switched over a year ago. The most consistent salt I have used since being in the hobby.

Boomer
07/27/2009, 10:34 AM
Popeye.

Because the components that are used to make sea salts have to many impurities that always off-set the final value, i.e. when you buy CaCl2 it always has some Mg++, even baking soda has a tad in it. And all of these components, to include the main component do not always have the same exact number of ions / weight batch / batch, as the raw product itself does not. Finally, seawater has a range of salinity through out the ocean and that salinity changes some with season. So, all we can do is get a close to what we like to call std NSW Salinity

iFisch
07/27/2009, 11:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15422842#post15422842 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ssamick
I'm surprised that you are thinking of making a switch from DD's. I have had nothing but great results since I switched over a year ago. The most consistent salt I have used since being in the hobby.

About to make the switch to DD, but I have always liked Brightwell products, and talking with Chris via e-mail can be fun. I like talking to the owner of such a large company via e-mail.

I will wait for actual owners/lab(s) to post results. I think CB had/has good intentions in this hobby, but since releasing a salt, that says a lot. I hope this product lives up to the hype.

But then again, how many products actually live up to the hype in this industry?

Seachem is also coming out with a new salt - "Salinity". Each batch is supposed to include "guaranteed analysis".

On the left is the "results".

http://aquavitro.com/

catfisher
07/27/2009, 11:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15424402#post15424402 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iFisch
About to make the switch to DD, but I have always liked Brightwell products, and talking with Chris via e-mail can be fun. I like talking to the owner of such a large company via e-mail.

I will wait for actual owners/lab(s) to post results. I think CB had/has good intentions in this hobby, but since releasing a salt, that says a lot. I hope this product lives up to the hype.

But then again, how many products actually live up to the hype in this industry?

Seachem is also coming out with a new salt - "Salinity". Each batch is supposed to include "guaranteed analysis".

On the left is the "results".

http://aquavitro.com/

What's with the really high pH?

Boomer
07/27/2009, 12:04 PM
Cat, that is what we call a "initial pH" and means about nothing. In short time that pH will drop as it equilibrates with the atm. Many salts have a high initial pH, some are in the 9's. This is only an issue if one is doing huge WC, like 90 %. Here is an old example, by Dr. Craig Bingman.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010309221145/www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1999/mar/features/1/photo10.asp

stratos21ss
07/27/2009, 12:12 PM
I am working it in to my change water for last two weeks. Looks good to me. I won't even post any numbers because I don't want to get involved in the politics.

I will say that i am really happy to have a domestic salt choice that does not try to put my Ca at 550 and my dKH at <7 while running a probiotic system.

tatuvaaj
07/27/2009, 01:27 PM
I agree those numbers are a bit, hmm, transparent but I do applaud the goal of using the NSW levels as a target. Salt mixes with "enhanced" levels of certain elements do more harm than good, IMHO.

Boomer
07/27/2009, 01:31 PM
Ca at 550 and my dKH at <7

There are a few that do that.

No one is saying it is not a good salt. The issue is that if it was tested at a certified seawater testing lab you CANNOT get to read NSW Sr of 7.625 ppm. They are saying it is exactly the same as the NSW sample. That is within zero 1/1,000 ppm Sr. of NSW. Same for the other ions.

More than likely that is some kind of big typo error but they should have caught it and nobody is correcting it. They do say they are using USP or ACS grade which is a big plus and will give a more consistent batch for batch blend. However, USPS or ACS does not mean it is better. Where is the data sheet on other ions, especially HM. If you look at SeaChems new salt it looks really nice till you see the HM numbers, which are higher than any other salt.

Let's pretend those numbers are just what their salt tested to and forget the NSW comparison. That is still bogus. Each batch can not test out to Sr 7.625 ppm or K 398.8. And that is their so called claim. Even Ultra Pure Grade will not do that. Maybe that is what there first batch tested out to, which by no means, means all batches will be that. They should have listed the Sr @ 8 ppm and the K @ 400 ppm and or given a range. All salts made have a range even from bag to bag. Even the best testing equipment has testing "error factors", i.e, +/- .002 ppm or .01 ppm etc. All salt manufactures are guilty of this. And even those that test salts with test kits. Meaning, IO will not always test out to say 355 ppm. It has a range , say 340 -360 and at times a bag maybe higher or lower than even those. So, what most are giving is an avg.

stratos21ss
07/27/2009, 01:45 PM
Yeah, they don't really need all those decimal points. I will have to check the bucket's label to see if that is how it is stated on the it. I understand your point for sure in that it is difficult to get that kind of precision.

popeye20
07/27/2009, 01:45 PM
I think it may be worth the cost of a bucket to find out, and as far as DD stuff goes it is a great product but I am on an ever tightening budget due to being laid off, so if I can save 25 bucks or so a bucket I need to do so. I am using a mix of DD and Reef Crystals at present to cut costs since I had a bucket of RC left over before going to DD, and if the Brightwell is near as good as the claims and less than DD I will be pretty happy, if not then I'll continue to do my mix then switch back to pure DD when the money situation gets back on track.

stratos21ss
07/27/2009, 03:04 PM
Says the numbers are "Average ionic composition.." So that probably implies there is a range involved.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa11/aegia/img1zzzxxwwn___TQ213/DSC_0012-2.jpg

iFisch
07/27/2009, 03:10 PM
I am still intrigued by this. However I wish I knew more about how one achieves results like that.

I hope others share their experiences with this salt. It'd be costly as hell, initially, for my 14g.

But can I buy salt in bulk? I mean will it last 6 months in that bucket, as long as I reseal it after each use? If not, looks like it's the 6.6kg DD buckets for me.

Boomer
07/27/2009, 08:19 PM
Having that on the bottle is even sicker :lol:

You can't have results like that. It is gibberish nonsense. I do not know who they are trying to full with that crap. They are saying their avg is still spot on with NSW. If they want to have avg on the bottle fine but how dare they put it right next to what they are calling avg NSW. And if you look at real data for NSW, Mg++ is not ~1,290 but ~1,350, despite most think it is ~1,290. And all that ???.000 zero stuff is more crap. As if it tested to ???.000 exactly.

What is also funny is on the bottle is.......

specific gravity of 1.025 g/cm<sup>3</sup>

That is density and not Sg. SG has no unit value. ie., 1.025 not 1.025 g/cm<sup>3</sup>. Sg DOES NOT = D. Density in seawater at 25C with that Density is 37.3 ppt and NSW is 35 ppt. A D = 1.025 g/cm<sup>3</sup> = 1.028 SG. So, what is it really on the bottle D or Sg :lol:

[b] I think CB **HAD**/has good intentions in this hobby[/b

Yogre
07/27/2009, 09:09 PM
All those zeroes, and every number except Cl matching up with NSW precisely. Huh. I put myself through flight school about a hundred years ago working in a lab as a water and wastewater analyst (my degree is in chemistry), and I was EPA certified in cyanide and total organic carbon analysis.

It does seem to me to be a bit of a stretch to have that kind of precision in the numbers, and to match up that closely with NSW. Maybe a cut-n-paste typo? They should at least post +/- ranges... that's a beef I have with Reef Crystals (which I use) as well.

kaskiles
07/28/2009, 04:40 AM
25 KG of ACS reagent grade NaCl costs over $200. He must be passing along some really great savings to us hobbyists...

Boomer
07/28/2009, 01:24 PM
I think, kask, it is more on the order that as a bucket goes buy they put a grain or two in of ACS :lol: Take note that is say "contains". I read elsewhere it was "made from"

luther1200
07/28/2009, 02:22 PM
I can't believe that they would actually list that as there values. I find it very hard to believe thats accurate. Every single value except 1 was totally the same as NSW to the third decimal point. Come on.

luther1200
07/28/2009, 02:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15431651#post15431651 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Boomer
I think, kask, it is more on the order that as a bucket goes buy they put a grain or two in of ACS :lol: Take note that is say "contains". I read elsewhere it was "made from"

:lol: :lol:

iFisch
07/28/2009, 02:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15431994#post15431994 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luther1200
I can't believe that they would actually list that as there values. I find it very hard to believe thats accurate. Every single value except 1 was totally the same as NSW to the third decimal point. Come on.

Still curious as to what it really tests to when mixed @ 1.025.

Bogus or not, I want to believe its a quality salt. But its looking harder to believe. :(

luther1200
07/28/2009, 03:16 PM
I want to belive it too, but after seeing something like this it makes it more difficult. .

toaster77
07/28/2009, 08:29 PM
i agree with boomer, something seems fishy about the #s

Boomer
07/28/2009, 09:17 PM
I'm sure they mean 1.025 Sg. So if you raise the Sg to 1.026 / 35 ppt, then all ions would increase by ~ 4 %

iFisch
07/29/2009, 12:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15434645#post15434645 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Boomer
I'm sure they mean 1.025 Sg. So if you raise the Sg to 1.026 / 35 ppt, then all ions would increase by ~ 4 %

Those numbers are for 1.025. So running 1.026/1.027 would be ok then..

I want to e-mail CB and see if he has the exact lab these were taken from. I'd like to see some sort of paperwork certifying the salt before I take the plunge.

And users feedback/opinions are greatly appreciated. :rollface:

serenity
08/07/2009, 09:12 AM
any updates on this?

Megabite
08/07/2009, 09:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15488875#post15488875 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by serenity
any updates on this?

+1

Been using TM since I started reefing with great results. I was thinking of giving this a try.

iFisch
08/07/2009, 12:32 PM
I e-mailed Chris Monday, haven't heard back from him.

Asked him what lab(s) were used to confirm the testing, and if he has any physical paperwork that can be scanned/copied for us to see.

I will put my pennies on it, that this is a quality salt. Just not maybe as "perfect" as we are hoping for.

Marinedepot also has the 50g buckets for $28 + $6 S&H.

I'll be buying the 50g bucket when I get my extra pennies together and will be using regardless. I would like to see which lab(s) were used to test the salt and get those readings. So far, no response.

USUALLY, he responds daily, so my guess is he's really busy.

Reefer08
08/07/2009, 08:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15432167#post15432167 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iFisch
Still curious as to what it really tests to when mixed @ 1.025.

Bogus or not, I want to believe its a quality salt. But its looking harder to believe. :(

Please let us know what the parameters are from the salt you bought from marine depot!

iFisch
08/07/2009, 08:22 PM
Reefer08,

What do you mean a lot of their products look bogus? Like which products?

serenity
08/08/2009, 07:17 AM
Yeah I am in the process of setting up a 75 and need sand and salt still left to buy I am close to premium so I won't have to pay shipping and have used a lot of different salts and wanted to start with top quality from the start, I would have to guess the numbers sound a little "too good" but if they are even close I would be very happy! I spoke with Jeremy at pa yesterday and he thinks it is good salt but like us only time will tell. I have yet to see many people post up numbers and that is a tad scary to me i'd hate to spend $60 on salt that may not be as good as I/O, tunxe, d&d, etc.

luther1200
08/08/2009, 10:17 AM
I know what you mean. Several people in this thread and others said things like "I have it on order" or "I have a batch mixing now". I am curious as to why nobody has posted the numbers from there batches.

iFisch
08/08/2009, 01:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15494526#post15494526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luther1200
I know what you mean. Several people in this thread and others said things like "I have it on order" or "I have a batch mixing now". I am curious as to why nobody has posted the numbers from there batches.

+1. I am going to order the 50g bucket in about 2 weeks, regardless.

A) I am not sure why Chris hasn't responded to my e-mail. Usually he responds within 24 hours.

B) I wish we had more info on this salt, other than it's "supposed" to be very good.

Boomer
08/08/2009, 09:46 PM
Because he can NEVER come up with such a data sheet, to 1/1000 ppm accuracy of his salt vs NSW. Meaning, the exact same numbers. I do not know who he is trying to fool, be it a very good salt or not. If Randy saw this he would be all over it like I am.

1. This salt has bogus numbers

2. Their Kalk +2. Any Kalk has about the same % of Mg ++ and Sr ++ impurities.

3. Liquid Reef. You cannot dissolve Aragonite in reef tanks at the levels we run them at. The Aragonite power floats around and is picked up when you run a Ca ++ or Alk tests. The Aragonite dissolves in the rest kit reagent and gives false high readings.

There are many companies that sell products with these claims. Many of BA products are more or less copies of the same products he use to do for Kent Marine when he worked there. So, think Kent Marine with allot of new marketing and a few new additions. So, there is really nothing "more " special about them. He has a over all nice line and Kent is sort of fading away so to speak.

iFisch
08/08/2009, 10:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15497421#post15497421 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Boomer
Because he can NEVER come up with such a data sheet, to 1/1000 ppm accuracy of his salt vs NSW. Meaning, the exact same numbers. I do not know who he is trying to fool, be it a very good salt or not. If Randy saw this he would be all over it like I am.

1. This salt has bogus numbers

2. Their Kalk +2. Any Kalk has about the same % of Mg ++ and Sr ++ impurities.

3. Liquid Reef. You cannot dissolve Aragonite in reef tanks at the levels we run them at. The Aragonite power floats around and is picked up when you run a Ca ++ or Alk tests. The Aragonite dissolves in the rest kit reagent and gives false high readings.

There are many companies that sell products with these claims. Many of BA products are more or less copies of the same products he use to do for Kent Marine when he worked there. So, think Kent Marine with allot of new marketing and a few new additions. So, there is really nothing "more " special about them. He has a over all nice line and Kent is sort of fading away so to speak.

Boomer, I appreciate you chiming in again.

Aside from the obvious, what we're talking about here, I was curious as to what other products he sold were "bogus".

I just can't believe he would potentially put his reputation on the line, over a salt.

Anyways, I JUST bought Liquid Reef. And since I have very little to no marine chemistry knowledge, these are the things that stuck out to me.

"# Complete source of the elements and molecules that are directly used by corals, clams, and other reef-building invertebrates and organisms to create skeletal material and grow.

# Provides calcium (140,000 ppm), strontium, magnesium, and potassium in approximately the same ratios* in which they occur in aragonite.

# Very strong source of carbonates (derived from aragonite), the other important group of ions involved in aragonite formation.
# Increases alkalinity to help stabilize pH. "

So in order for this product to be effective, if at all, it needs to be over-dosed?

I don't understand this part of your very informative reply:

"You cannot dissolve Aragonite in reef tanks at the levels we run them at."

All-in-all, is LR completely useless or does it actually have a beneficial use?

And Boomer, one more question.

Would you try this salt? Bogus numbers or not? If not, what salt would you choose, if you could choose any salt out there? I am thinking this salt and DD H20cean. Maybe a combo of both?

I am looking forward to your reply.

Thanks so much!

-Nick :rollface:

Boomer
08/08/2009, 11:35 PM
I just can't believe he would potentially put his reputation on the line, over a salt.

Well, he dug his own post hole. He should have been smart enough to know that will not fly by many people. Lots of manufactures have exaggerated claims or stretch things out.

So in order for this product to be effective, if at all, it needs to be over-dosed?

You do that and the tank will be a clouded mess :)

Well, have a read at this. Pretty much proves my point.

Calcium Carbonate as a Supplement (Aragamight; Liquid Reactor)
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/july2002/chem.htm

All-in-all, is LR completely useless or does it actually have a beneficial use?

The function of LR is to bring about proximity association of nitrification==> Denitrification. As far as LR dissolving no, or even aragonite sand. Ask yourself the question; " if aragonite sand/LR is dissolving in a reef tank, then why do I have to add calcium and Alk sup's ? " Will some of it dissolve ? Sure, but as far as it having any real benefit for Alk or Ca++ sup, then no. The amount it will benefit you will not be able to measure.

I don't understand this part of your very informative reply:

We run tanks at around 400 - 450 ppm Ca++, Alk 7- 12, pH 8.0 8.3, and it well not dissolve at those parameters. If you had these parameters a little may/will start to dissolve some.

pH = 7.7, Calcium = 410 ppm, Alkalinity = 2.5 meq/L

pH = 8.2, Calcium = 340 ppm, Alkalinity = 1.0 meq/L

Would you try this salt?

Well, it sure is worth at try. I'm sure Biilybeau will be doing it.

Yes, I like the looks of DDH20

iFisch
08/08/2009, 11:46 PM
Boomer: :beer:

tatuvaaj
08/09/2009, 01:05 AM
About aragonite powder as a supplement:

I have been using homemade CaCO3 slurry to enhance mechanical filtration and I have noticed an interesting effect: the filter acts like a in-tank CaCO3 reactor. I barely need to add any CaCl2 and/or NaHCO3 to my tank, the filter maintains good levels. Although I haven't tested if this true, I guess the effect is due to CO2 produced inside the filter. I turn the filter off when I feed the tank (4 x 1 hour per day) and I think it is plausible that during this time the CO2 produced by bacteria is enough to dissolve significant amounts of the trapped CaCO3 particles. It was little surprising since I don't use canister filter, it's just with a powerhead and filter fleece.

I don't add the CaCO3 slurry straight into the tank but instead add it into the sump so that (almost) all particles are trapped in filter.

iFisch
08/09/2009, 01:53 PM
Anyone see this link?

http://www.reefbuilders.com/2009/06/05/neomarine-reef-salt-from-brightwell-aquatics/

Boomer
08/09/2009, 03:06 PM
Yes, I have seen it I know the guy that runs it. It was that website last week that said RC had lost all its data base and there is no more RC and to include fake letters from our Admin RC saying it was gone for good.

Their table for sg is wrong. NSW @ 35 ppt is 1.0264 @ 25 C. BA is not correcting to std.. Nobody uses an 19 C hydrometer in this hobby, which that table is for. Second, it is just more marketing hype. He is good at that. There is no such thing as 1.024 g/cm3 sg, that is density and density does not equal sg. Sg has no unit of g/cm3. It is funny how one writes all that crap and does not even understand Salinity-Density-Sg relationships. Lastly, This means that the majority of individual ingredients in NçoMarine are of USP or ACS grade, the highest levels of purity in existence I do not buy this at all, as ACS is very expensive. Meaning it is mostly USP with very little ACS. And ACS and UPS are NOT the highest purity in existence. I challenge him to put out a data sheet showing what USP and ACS are used. However, once one reads through all the hype and gibberish it looks like a very good salt. The best thing is not using hydrated salts that add to the weight. Theoretically speaking, 35 grams of salt in 1 liter should equal 35 ppt but often the water content drops that down to 31-3 ppt. However, I see no lab tests on it, which only tells all. I also get tired of preparatory process crap.

Additionally, NeoMarine has been successfully used in a large reef aquarium on display at a prominent national museum in the Nation’s Capitol.

Called marketing hype. Ok, so why not just list it BA, which one ?

iFisch
08/09/2009, 03:28 PM
I believe you Boomer. I don't understand any of it, so I thought I'd share.

It looks like, as of right now, I will be ordering the new DD-H20cean Magnesium Pro Plus.

I am willing to cough up some change for the BW salt as well, but this instant, it is not looking good for Chris's salt. :(

Sorry Chris.

luther1200
08/09/2009, 06:13 PM
I agree, not looking to good for Neo Marine. Which is dis appointing because I wanted it to be good. Not to say it isn't good, but after putting all that BS on the packaging I don't think I could bring myself to buy it.

iFisch
08/09/2009, 06:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15501029#post15501029 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luther1200
I agree, not looking to good for Neo Marine. Which is dis appointing because I wanted it to be good. Not to say it isn't good, but after putting all that BS on the packaging I don't think I could bring myself to buy it.

Me either.

Boomer
08/09/2009, 09:04 PM
19 C hydrometer

Should be 15 C hydromter :)

janes_mw
08/10/2009, 06:32 PM
Boomer, i've been around this hobby for only about 5 years and don't even pretend to know anything more than "luck". i am doing the zeovit system (don't know your opinion on this). I use get tanked salt but looking for a low Kh salt as he zeo heads suggest. I have followed your posts on several threads and respect your honesty. What salt would you recommend for a Zeovit system (whether you agree with Zeo or not :) ). I was about ready to switch to TM, but have you ever had any experience with Gettanked formula 1 or 2? Don't "blast me", I really would like a good opinion.
mike

Methamphetareef
08/10/2009, 07:33 PM
I just got done mixing up 25 gallons of Neomarine. Salt was mixed for 24 hours @78 degrees

Here is what I tested.
Salinity = 53.0 Ms Salinity probe
PH = 8.36 Ph probe
Calcium = 430 Elos
Alk = 11 Dkh Avg between Lamotte and Elos
Mag= 1320 Salifert
Potassium = 375ish KZ test

I do not like the high alk as I'm running Zeo.

Hopefully some others will post their results???

RBU1
08/10/2009, 08:07 PM
I tested with an API kit and got

PH 8.4
Alk 11
Calcium 420

Boomer
08/10/2009, 09:07 PM
No Mike I have not even heard of that salt :lol: TM or DD-H20 are at the top IMHO. Only time will tell about the BA salt. However, for what it is worth, most salts will do fine. As far as I'm concerned it is so much gibberish nonsense that salt x is better that salt y. The only thing we have as a guide is a data assay sheet that list what it has and see how close it is to NSW and there has not been a "real" one of those since Craig Bingman did his years ago.. All the rest have some real testing issues. I used IO almost since its "invention". The truth of the matter real its that any salt is a choice and to use/choose the salt that seems to work best for you and your tank. If someone tells you that salt x will better for your animals that is also just more gibberish. As, there is not ONE shred of evidence that proves that.

RBU1
08/11/2009, 05:30 AM
I sent an email to Chris at Brightwell and was please with his response.

To sum it up there is a great deal of pride that goes into making your own salt along with the proper equipment to measure ingredients. They have both and are pleased with their product and will stand behind what the label says 100%.

janes_mw
08/11/2009, 05:37 AM
Thanks Boomer - I was leaning towards TM as it runs lower Kh and seems to be consistent from batch to batch from what I have read. I can also get local which helps the wallet.

and now ..... let the great salt debate continue!! :)

Methamphetareef
08/11/2009, 06:28 AM
I just emailed Brightwell with my test results.

We will have to see what they say about the 11 Dkh compared to the 7.5 on the label.

eggiel
08/11/2009, 06:56 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15509067#post15509067 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by janes_mw
Thanks Boomer - I was leaning towards TM as it runs lower Kh and seems to be consistent from batch to batch from what I have read. I can also get local which helps the wallet.

and now ..... let the great salt debate continue!! :)

Hi Janes

You as Me are Zeovit users and could tell you that i have been using Reefers best salt and Iam very happy with it as each box i have gone thru More than 8 with my friends have given us great readings as indicated by them
I dont know there hole table of contents for there other elements but what Iam looking for is a stable batch by batch and parameters like theres

Mixed at 1.025
Cal 420-430
Alk 7
Mag 1300-1350

And I only have to do 5% water change and my corals look happy
I know its an 85 dollars box its pricey but its a great salt at least for me and it gives me like 5 month of service in my 75 tank

Like boomer says every body is going to say there things is best but you just will have to try what works best for your tank

Get tanked salt its a good salt according to other reefers in an other forum that have use them and its hand mixed buy the guy him self
It was made for reefers using low nutrient system like zeovit, fauna marin and others

Boomer
08/11/2009, 10:13 AM
will stand behind what the label says 100%.

Well, of course they have to. Dont' forget they say avg. Lets take that to the net level. One bucket 400, next bucket 426 = 400 + 426 = 826/2 = 413.000 ppm Ca++.

the proper equipment to measure ingredients

They claim to be using HACH equipment for their tests. Maybe they would like to explain to me which ones as none of them test to 1/000 of a ppm. HACH does not even make a kit for Sr. You can only get those results he has on the bucket by ICP and he is not even rich enough to have on of those or has the knowledge base to operate one. Each batch tested by someone else would cost ~$300-$400

11 Dkh compared to the 7.5 on the label.

He will call it a testing error by you ;)

eggiel

I think you are wasting your money on that salt. Just like their expensive GAC which is a real waste of money. They waaayyyyyy over charge for things. It is in their mined if they jack the price way up people will think it must be the best salt since chocolate cake. And their media is nothing more than FW ammonia remover, Nitrate Sponge, DeNitrate.

Billybeau1
08/11/2009, 12:17 PM
I will test Brightwell soon and post it on my list. Then we can put this all to rest. :D

iFisch
08/11/2009, 02:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15510982#post15510982 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
I will test Brightwell soon and post it on my list. Then we can put this all to rest. :D

I have a feeling it's already been "busted" by Boomer, before it's been out longer than two weeks.

Back to TMP for me. It is also local, however I pay a decent penny for it. Guy said buy 5 boxes (the smaller boxes, not buckets), get 1 free.

I run a nano, and use the boxes, not the 200g buckets. Seems like a fair deal to me.

eggiel
08/11/2009, 02:08 PM
Well Boomer for me is not a waste of money I now the market price and i know how much it cost the transportation from germany to usa
adding a that thet to the price the salt has to be sold for taht price

You got a better brand that every time you mix gives this parameters then tell us cause I try TM pro and every batch is diffrent and does not mix well either and for the price i will still stick with Reefers Best

And Also could you tell me a replacement for the GAC tell me i could change if it works as well

I dont mind experimenting or trying i just wont keep buying Bad batches of salt like TM PRO reef

iFisch
08/11/2009, 02:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15511563#post15511563 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eggiel
Well Boomer for me is not a waste of money I now the market price and i know how much it cost the transportation from germany to usa
adding a that thet to the price the salt has to be sold for taht price

You got a better brand that every time you mix gives this parameters then tell us cause I try TM pro and every batch is diffrent and does not mix well either and for the price i will still stick with Reefers Best

And Also could you tell me a replacement for the GAC tell me i could change if it works as well

I dont mind experimenting or trying i just wont keep buying Bad batches of salt like TM PRO reef

Well, TMP has been giving me consistent results, after one batch test high in everything. After that batch, everything has been A-OK on this side. :rollface:

eggiel
08/11/2009, 02:20 PM
what are the results at what specific gravity for Tmp

Also I only have to do 5% water change with Reefers bast salt weekly
TMP specfies 10% so thats twice the quantity so the bucket will drain faster and it will cause me twice so no I dont see why Iam wasting my money

luther1200
08/11/2009, 02:57 PM
If you are looking for high quality GAC I would recommend Bulk Reef Supply ROX 0.8 GAC. They also have great GFO if you use it. I recommend the high capacity GFO, it works really really well.

Here is a link to the GAC.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Carbon-and-Phosphate-Remover-GFO-Bulk-Carbon/c109_6/p349/1.25-Pounds-Premium-ROX-0.8-Carbon/product_info.html

eggiel
08/11/2009, 03:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15511839#post15511839 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luther1200
If you are looking for high quality GAC I would recommend Bulk Reef Supply ROX 0.8 GAC. They also have great GFO if you use it. I recommend the high capacity GFO, it works really really well.

Here is a link to the GAC.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Carbon-and-Phosphate-Remover-GFO-Bulk-Carbon/c109_6/p349/1.25-Pounds-Premium-ROX-0.8-Carbon/product_info.html

Hi Luther yeah I saw bulk reef but i just want to see what Boomer points out as a good quality GAC

Thanks anyway

Boomer
08/11/2009, 04:25 PM
That is it ROX :) They found it from reading my post here on it and then decided to sell it. :)

Also I only have to do 5% water change with Reefers bast salt weekly
TMP specfies 10% so thats twice the quantity so the bucket will drain faster and it will cause me twice so no I dont see why Iam wasting my money

You lost me. What do you mean buy that ? You can do a 5 % WC with any salt. It they say 10 % only for TMP that is nonsense. IMHO DD-H20 will give better parameters than TMP. For the pameters you seem to want I would look at Tunze Reef Salt

RBU1
08/11/2009, 06:03 PM
I looked online at this DD H2Ocean salt....I can't believe people are paying that kind of money for salt.....You all must have nano tanks. If I had to pay $120.00 for a 150 gallon bucket of salt I would need to refinance my house. I go thru 2 buckets a month. In my opinon that is ridiculous......

luther1200
08/11/2009, 06:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15512734#post15512734 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RBU1
I looked online at this DD H2Ocean salt....I can't believe people are paying that kind of money for salt.....You all must have nano tanks. If I had to pay $120.00 for a 150 gallon bucket of salt I would need to refinance my house. I go thru 2 buckets a month. In my opinon that is ridiculous......

I think its a bit much also. BTW what salt do you use, just out of curiosity?

RBU1
08/11/2009, 06:20 PM
I had been using a custom made seasalt but now I am trying the Brightwell stuff..

janes_mw
08/11/2009, 06:21 PM
ROX for GAC is a great deal. on a UNLS only use 1/2 suggested at a slow rate thorugh a reactor. ultra clear water, be careful as this is the best carbon IMHO and you can ovrerdoo it with this carbon.

as for salt TMPR is my final decision :) mike

Billybeau1
08/11/2009, 06:50 PM
I'm not sure you can overdo carbon, but I like the choice non the less. :)

eggiel
08/11/2009, 07:05 PM
Ok the GAC sounds like a Try for me

On the percentage of water changes for every tank you only have to do a 5% percentage water change to refill trace elements cause it has a very good level in elements according to Koralllen zucht

But according to TMP box youll need 10 percent water change to refill those elements

Iam not saying it is in ther bucket instruction in 6 languages

Billybeau1
08/11/2009, 07:12 PM
egg, no salt manufacturer can tell you how much and how often to change your water. This is not salt related.

It has more to do with your husbandry practices, equipment and livestock. :)

eggiel
08/11/2009, 08:11 PM
Bill
I know that but its there recomendation it says it in the label

its like you could mix the salt at what ever salinty you want but a change in salinty is a change in parameters so you cant blame the comapny if it doesnt mix right at the salinty you prefer

So if they are saying change 10 % to replenish the elements its better doing than to not cause its there recomendation on the salt

Billybeau1
08/11/2009, 08:28 PM
egg, trace elements are called trace elements for a reason. Because they are a small percentage of the total content of your salt.

There is no way any salt manufacturer can recommend a particular water change regime to ensure trace elements are kept at the recommended ranges for such.

Testing for these trace elements are virtually impossible for the average hobbyist. Even the advanced hobbyist would find it very expensive to buy equipment to test for these trace elements.

I do not care what brand of salt you use, I recommend regular water changes to replenish trace elements. I do not need the manufacturer to tell me that or how much.

Methamphetareef
08/11/2009, 08:42 PM
Can anyone else verify the high alk reading I am getting (11 Dkh)?

I like the other parameters except Alk

Thanks!!!!!!

iFisch
08/11/2009, 08:44 PM
Have you tried retesting, and re-re-testing?

If not, test it 3x, add each reading up and divide by three. That's the average Alk.

Billybeau1
08/11/2009, 08:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15513786#post15513786 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Methamphetareef

Thanks!!!!!!

What is wrong with 11 dkh ? Nothing as far as I know.

eggiel
08/11/2009, 08:55 PM
Bill

If they are giving that recomendation is beacuase there salt could be crap and it will need that quantity to replenish anyway I dont use it
It s crap to me

Reefers best works for me and I wont change

What salt do you use Bill ?

eggiel
08/11/2009, 09:05 PM
Well Bill

According to Brightwell specs the salt had a 7.5 dkh not 11
plus this salt is for people using ultra low nutrients and like ther alk in a place you could control
also they are suppose to be close to NSW

I think is way off

Ion [NSW] [NeoMarine]
Chloride 19,500 19,321
Sulfate 2,711.5 2,711.5
Sodium 10,770 10,770
Magnesium 1,288 1,288
Calcium 413 413
Potassium 398.8 398.8
Bromide 67 67
Strontium 7.625 7.625
Boron 4.5 4.5
Fluoride 1.3 1.3
Alkalinity ~7.5dkh
pH 8.30

iFisch
08/11/2009, 09:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15513949#post15513949 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eggiel

Ion [NSW] [NeoMarine]
Chloride 19,500 19,321
Sulfate 2,711.5 2,711.5
Sodium 10,770 10,770
Magnesium 1,288 1,288
Calcium 413 413
Potassium 398.8 398.8
Bromide 67 67
Strontium 7.625 7.625
Boron 4.5 4.5
Fluoride 1.3 1.3
Alkalinity ~7.5dkh
pH 8.30

We know. That's what this discussion is about. :confused:

eggiel
08/11/2009, 09:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15513786#post15513786 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Methamphetareef

Thanks!!!!!!

What salinty you use ?

53.ms solution is 1.026

Thats why you could have the high alk well thats if you salinty in 1.026 and not 1.025

iFisch
08/11/2009, 09:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15513972#post15513972 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eggiel

53.ms solution is 1.026

Thats why you could have the high alk well thats if you salinty in 1.026 and not 1.025

Nevermind..

eggiel
08/11/2009, 09:19 PM
Iam just speaking of pinpoint solution wich i think is what he refers to

Oh my bad your talking refrative index Iam speaking gravity
so iam not off i guess donig two things at the time doesnt let me think well

Billybeau1
08/11/2009, 09:30 PM
Forget the refractive index. 53mS reads exactly 1.0264 or 35 ppt on a refractometer. That's all we need to be concerned with except for maybe temperature which does not change the value much in our case.

As far as Brightwells claims, they are trying to sell a new salt in a tough market. Give em a break.

egg, I have used every salt listed in my salt study in the last year and a half. I just did not throw this stuff away. My fish do not seem to mind and unless you missed it, I do not have any corals.

I can tell you as of right now, the two most popular salt mixes in the USA are Reef Crystals and Instant Ocean by a large margin.

There is nothing wrong with the others. I've long said, most synthetic sea salts on the market today are ok to use.

You all can use what you want to use. Whatever makes your tank look good and husbandry practices easier to deal with.

There is no best salt mix. Only the best for YOUR tank.

If you must know, I like Reef Crystals and Coralife. I've had great luck with both. :D

eggiel
08/11/2009, 09:30 PM
Ifisch

jajaj guess we fix our post at the same time iam donig my water change and reading post

eggiel
08/11/2009, 09:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15514116#post15514116 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
Forget the refractive index. 53mS reads exactly 1.0264 or 35 ppt on a refractometer. That's all we need to be concerned with except for maybe temperature which does not change the value much in our case.

As far as Brightwells claims, they are trying to sell a new salt in a tough market. Give em a break.

egg, I have used every salt listed in my salt study in the last year and a half. I just did not throw this stuff away. My fish do not seem to mind and unless you missed it, I do not have any corals.

I can tell you as of right now, the two most popular salt mixes in the USA are Reef Crystals and Instant Ocean by a large margin.

There is nothing wrong with the others. I've long said, most synthetic sea salts on the market today are ok to use.

You all can use what you want to use. Whatever makes your tank look good and husbandry practices easier to deal with.

There is no best salt mix. Only the best for YOUR tank.

If you must know, I like Reef Crystals and Coralife. I've had great luck with both. :D

Hi bill
I didnt miss it its on you dicrption on the bootom with all that type of fish i know you dont have corals wich i wont even bother getting salts caus ethere is not much to worrie

and on the Brightwell salt were not trying to digg him its only that you cant putting parameters equal to NSW on you buckets because with people like Boomer or Highlander and even the Great Randy your not going to get out with it you could tell that to me i dont $hit about composition of salt i just know what my corals look like and what they could like best

If reef crystal or Instant ocean are the most sold it will be more because they are cheap and people dont like to pay much money for salt

But advance acuarist will use the best no matter the price tag
as long as they get stable batches and good parameters and corals look happy

Billybeau1
08/11/2009, 09:47 PM
I would consider Randy and Cliff (Highlander) advanced aquarists and they both use Instant Ocean. Hmmmmmmm. :D

eggiel
08/11/2009, 09:57 PM
Do they have Corals with that salt cause i know Instant ocean has a high calcium

I consider advance those who try having Corals and a close to NSW tank in there home and dont matter what it cost to get things right
whants to make you put a wet suit and jump in the tank

Billybeau1
08/11/2009, 10:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15514342#post15514342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eggiel
Do they have Corals with that salt cause i know Instant ocean has a high calcium

I consider advance those who try having Corals and a close to NSW tank in there home and dont matter what it cost to get things right
whants to make you put a wet suit and jump in the tank

IO actually has low calcium. Probably lowest of the bunch. Yes they both have corals but they both supplement their IO with calcium chloride and magflake to make up for the deficiency.

Here is a picture of Randys tank

reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/3491Tank_Photos_Sep_2008_002.jpg

I'm afraid my idea of advanced varies quite a bit from yours.

eggiel
08/11/2009, 10:33 PM
Here is mine

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj448/eggiel/yeiraspictures492.jpg

and filtration

http://i555.photobucket.com/albums/jj448/eggiel/DSC_0070.jpg

Just some frags hoping one day they get to be colonies

Boomer
08/11/2009, 10:58 PM
eggiel

Not to pick on you so don't get mad OK

I didnt miss it its on you dicrption on the bootom with all that type of fish i know you dont have corals wich i wont even bother getting salts caus ethere is not much to worrie

I makes no difference if you have just fish or corals, you are getting bad info

and on the Brightwell salt were not trying to digg him its only that you cant putting parameters equal to NSW on you buckets because with people like Boomer or Highlander and even the Great Randy your not going to get out with it you could tell that to me

True and is why I'm here.

i dont $hit about composition of salt i just know what my corals look like and what they could like best

You have been in this hobby for 9 months which is no time at all when dealing with corals or reef keeping or even just a fish tank.

If reef crystal or Instant ocean are the most sold it will be more because they are cheap and people dont like to pay much money for salt

More coral reef tanks, to include public reef coral aquariums around the would, use IO more than all the other salts combined.

But advance acuarist will use the best no matter the price tag
as long as they get stable batches and good parameters and corals look happy

That is nonsense most of the advanced reefers of the world use IO and RC about 100 to 1. Where are you getting your info from. I have been in this hobby since 1967, so I know many of them. You are buying into marketing hype or people being mislead, just like that BA is putting out. A salt does not make or break a tank it is how the tank is run and maintained.

Go through these month by month and tally up the salt used in these advanced reefers tanks.

Look for Tank of the Month....forgot to post the link and there ae many boards with TOTM like these.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/past.php

ksed
08/11/2009, 11:19 PM
Hey Boomer

I think this calls for another of many polls of salt users.:D

eggiel
08/11/2009, 11:56 PM
Hi Boomer i dont get offended

First this crap thing of the time Iam in the hobby never updates BY IT SELF I thought you knew that beeing in this forum longer then me plus being more time in reefing than others dont make people smart they could be living in errornes there hole life remeber this hobby always improves and some just get stuck on the old habbits

Not meaning that your wrong but you could be wrong in something else than reefing

It makes a diffrent to me cause i like stability and close to NSW I know corals will live buy this cause our intention are to give them there natural habitat . And not natural but close too

Fish will live with what ever swing in salt and temperture I have tested this i got fishes living at 1.030 and doing well

On the Salt it more than a headache trying and getting stabile parameters with IO

I see more Reefers using RC and TMP than IO you could make a a poll your self and we will see

Iv gone on books forum and forum and more forums and and there not a lot using IO with corals

I have seen all the nicest tanks in RC and of top of my mind there is not to many people even saying what salt they use just parameters and thats were I rely on stable parameter a salt that could give us those near to NSW specially for corals

German tanks and polonians tanks are just some of the best and they dont use IO

Even in US some of the modern best tanks around dont use IO more RC than other salts could you show me on of the best with IO

Ive even seen people mixing salt to lower some parameters now is that stupid why not just buy a good salt that you could work your way up than down

Not to Argue and said in a friendly voice with all your respect
Now dont pick on me Boomer

Boomer
08/12/2009, 01:01 AM
I see more Reefers using RC and TMP than IO you could make a a poll your self and we will see

Poll :rolleyes: there are crap loads of polls on salts to include this forum. IO always wins hands down but there has been an increase in TM and RC over that last 2 years.

Iv gone on books forum and forum and more forums and and there not a lot using IO with corals

Well you are flat out wrong. I belong to may forums and visit them daily and run two other chem forums.

German tanks and polonians tanks are just some of the best and they don't use IO

They most certainly do use IO where did you get that they do not use IO ? polonians ? They are not very well known for their reef tanks. There won't be any in the reef book we have coming out. You may want to look at those in Holland, China, Japan, Thailand, Philippines, Belgium, New Zeeland, Australia, Greece etc. etc.

Even in US some of the modern best tanks around dont use IO more RC than other salts could you show me on of the best with IO

You should not try to make that claim as it is a sure sign of post hole digging. Go look at that link I gave you.

Here

RC TOTM last 5 years

Number
>30..........Unidentified
9..............Instant Ocean
7..............Reef Crystals
5..............Tropic Marin
2..............Tropic Marin Pro
2..............Oceanic
2..............Red Sea
1..............Corallife
1..............Catalina Water Company
1..............Seachem
1..............Sera
1..............Preis

And many of those unid are gong to be IO and RC. There are 32 listed salts IO and RC make up 50 % of them. And the reason many do not list the salt, as I said before it is NOT the salt.

Where is your salt ?

IO tank
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-06/totm/images/fts_dang_1000x381

iFisch
08/12/2009, 01:17 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15514968#post15514968 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Boomer
and run two other chem forums.

Mind sharing the links to these two forums?

I don't claim to be knowledgeable in Chemistry, but I like learning and will be taking advanced Biology/Chemistry next semester just so I have a better understanding in general, since it's been quite a few years since I took Biology/Chemistry/AP Chemistry in High School.

Assuming I am still in the hobby thereafter, I would like to get into the some sort of entry level Marine Biology/Chemistry class(es).

Thanks Boomer. :rollface:

Boomer
08/12/2009, 01:20 AM
Reeffrontiers.com and Reefsanctuary.com

iFisch
08/12/2009, 01:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15514994#post15514994 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Boomer
Reeffrontiers.com and Reefsanctuary.com

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/

eggiel
08/12/2009, 05:33 AM
Well boomer yesturday was late and i went to sleep
Today is an other day

Ok first thing whos tank is it ?

Ok on The poll thing we have to be specific on it, something like

What is your coral tank salt using ?

It will generate only a coral tanks users not fish tanks
this is how only IO will Win

what do you mean iam wrong iam in all these forums
RC, Zeovit ,and R2R and now RF
you could find my name in all
and look what I found in RF

There is no poll especificly for salt first of all

just a poll of what to find in a salt and just what I have lay out since my first post everybody looks for consistency

So no its not the salt at least you got that right

All they say its because its cheap

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27018

common we dont even know if they have coral or not

And Please dont bring the RS poll it will do me a favor
everybody are fish only or its cheap

Boomer one question
Why Iwans zeovit tank never in the TOTM. I personally think it was one of the best tanks and dont uses IO maybe that the reason

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/photo-main.php?imid=2517

I could feed you more tanks just let me know
:rollface:

Ohh and i got a poll from one forum were Rc wins over IO
I wont post it just to not get bang

iFisch
08/12/2009, 05:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15515250#post15515250 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eggiel
Well boomer yesturday was late and i went to sleep
Today is an other day

Ok first thing whos tank is it ?

Ok on The poll thing we have to be specific on it, something like

What is your coral tank salt using ?

It will generate only a coral tanks users not fish tanks
this is how only IO will Win

RC, Zeovit ,and R2R and now RF
and look what I found in RF

There is no poll especificly for salt first of all

just a poll of what to find in a salt and just what I have lay out since my first post everybody looks for consistency

So no its not the salt at least you got that right

All they say its because its cheap

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27018

common we dont even know if they have coral or not

And Please dont bring the RS poll it will do me a favor
everybody are fish only or its cheap

Boomer one question
Why Iwans zeovit tank never in the TOTM. I personally think it was one of the best tanks and dont uses IO maybe that the reason

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/photo-main.php?imid=2517

:rollface:

Listen, JMO, take this elsewhere. Start a new thread, or whatever. This is mainly the "topic" of discussion of "Brightwell Salt". You're going a little OT. PM Boomer, or whatever. Why one salt's better than another, etc. etc. etc.

Let's try and stay on topic. That's all.

eggiel
08/12/2009, 06:15 AM
Why didnt you say that to Boomer on first point (scared)
He is giving some information that is not 100% correct on what people uses the most i didnt change the coarse he did

And second we are not off topic we are discussing the salts and what are peolpe looking for in the Brightwells salt and his numbers

Stabilty, Consistency

You even ask for other boards witch was not part of the discusion or had to do with Brightwells salt

So dont blame dude

iFisch
08/12/2009, 06:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15515391#post15515391 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eggiel
(scared)

:lol: :lol:

A good portion of this thread is OT, now that I look it over.

"He is giving some information that is not 100% correct on what people uses the most i didnt change the coarse he did "

He mentioned it. Had he not mention it, I would have never asked.

eggiel
08/12/2009, 06:54 AM
iFisch

Tell me a reason why you want to use Brightwells salt if it only for your 14g tank with 4 fishes any salt will suit you
plus there are cheaper salts than Brightwells

iFisch
08/12/2009, 09:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15515526#post15515526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eggiel
iFisch

Tell me a reason why

Umm because I'm upgrading to a larger tank............. :rolleyes:

Methamphetareef
08/12/2009, 10:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15513876#post15513876 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
What is wrong with 11 dkh ? Nothing as far as I know.

I run Zeovit and target 7 Dkh for Alk. I bought this salt because of its "claimed" 7.5 Dkh

I've tested with Lamotte and Elos and get 11 Dkh.

Guess this will be the last bucket of this salt I buy.

Boomer
08/12/2009, 10:52 AM
eggiel

You are clueless. RS and RF are reef forums and most on those forums have REEF tanks. You may want to take some time there looking at pic of REEF tanks on those forums. Your problem is you are LOOSING the debate and are trying to find ways to make yourself look correct.

You are not very good at searches are you

now RF
and look what I found in RF.There is no poll especificly for salt first of all

Say so you
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=143

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=88

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f58/whats-your-brand-of-salt-amp-why-70362.html?highlight=salt+poll

You want to see more ?

You complain about some reefers not saying what kind of salt they use. Please point out in your link where Iwans gives the salt he is using :) It has nothing to do with they do not use IO for TOTM. Almost none of those tanks on that link list you gave give the salt they are using. And many Germans do not use a "salt brand" but use the Balling Method, non-NaCl salt where you go buy your own NaCl which makes up 85 % of seawater. Claude Schuhmacher from Fauna Marine uses this method and sells the non-NaCl components.

whos tank is it

It is in the TOTM link I gave you go look the damn thing up

Don't' make me laugh you have fed us nothing yet but your hype.

RC, Zeovit ,and R2R

That is two forums other than RC that is not many at all. There are probably a 100 reef forums world wide.

He is giving some information that is not 100% correct on what people uses the most i didnt change the coarse he did

Show me where I'm not.

I will now end this due to iFisch request :)

serenity
08/12/2009, 12:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15516646#post15516646 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Methamphetareef
I run Zeovit and target 7 Dkh for Alk. I bought this salt because of its "claimed" 7.5 Dkh

Well that stinks, I hate to hear the numbers are so high on the Dkh. I could live with ~8 but 11 is way too off the numbers he is giving, makes me wonder what else is "not correct".

Thanks Boomer for your insight, I was going to try the salt but I do not think so. I will think about trying H2Ocean Pro+.

Many thanks everyone.

Boomer
08/12/2009, 01:58 PM
And your Alk serenity is actually higher than that by about 10 %. Almost all kits are oriented to FW and the kits do not titrate to a pH low enough for SW to get the full Alk, only a Salifert Alk kit does that, as far as I know.

eggiel
08/12/2009, 04:31 PM
Boomer your are the one loosing the battle and it maybe the last i say
first of all all forums are for fish and corals so dont play dumb

I never cheak in the other forums just the ones you mention first and in the poll section my post is all coulfd find i didnt search more cause all i see are people talking of buying salt cause its cheap

Im not complaining your just saying every nice tank around uses IO and asking you to prove it
Wich i havent seen proof yet

I dont have to be on all the dam forums around just to know what salts is best for me

Were your not correct telling everyboday IO is the best come on man peolple have use it and its not the best for everybody

and what you have fed cause all I see is crap i could get bunch of pics and just say they are using what ever I want

It doesnt prove nothing

Irwin never said what salt his using cause they never gave him a chance to explain his system

And last Boomer do you got a reef tank cause i will like to see it
i got my own that back what iam talking about lets see yours

i had never said that what salt is better iam just saying a stable or consistent salt with good parameters are dificult to get and i have found one and its called Reefers Best Salt

But then you come and say Iam paying a pricey salt wich doesnt need to be pay for come on Boomer give me a break you are Joke

Oh and you forgot to mention or look into this forum

http://www.*********.com/forums/f16/poll-112-a.html

I guess I cant get bang either if you could post links to other forums

and lets leave it here end of it

eggiel
08/12/2009, 04:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15516646#post15516646 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Methamphetareef

And now to help other hey Methamphetareef

What salinty did you make the mix at ?

janes_mw
08/12/2009, 05:15 PM
I guess i have to say a couple things. one reason Boomer is well"sought after" is because of many reasons:
1. He is well written/published.
2. He does not have any hidden agendas other than what he believes the truth.
3. He is an industry expert at the hobby.
4. He is not on anybody's payroll, so some may not like his opinion from the pure technical subject matter expert (like it or not).
5. He does not need to prove his self.

I re-read all the posts on the matter. Boomer is simply stating that BW is overstating their label, nothing more. I have used a bunch of different salts and had mixed results except for one (and most people have never used this brand).

A few pages back, I asked for Boomers opinion, I got it and respected it ..... don't post on these forems asking for advise and when you get something contrary to what you believe dispute it.... take is as another data point. The law of averages still applies to this world and this hobby.... that is the message Boomer is trying to get across.

mike

eggiel
08/12/2009, 05:41 PM
Yeah I respect Boomers opinion on the brighwells salt

I just dont understand how could he tell me personally that iam paying an over price salt if it given me the best results and worrie if it doesnt mix right
I know he is a respective person but you cant always tell people that your draining your money if you dont know why the persons is likeing it

And you cant point out whats best cause maybe it wont even work for everybody
Or saying this nice TOTM is using this salt when he doesnt even mention the salt
It could be good but what worries the people have to go thru to make it a good salt batch by batch

I have always say stability is the key for a good salt and consistency How many times do i have to spell it out if it was what ever brand i will be backing them no matter what

Also we cant batch brightwells salt yet cause the alk was high i Know that boomer pointed out the label is stupid but maybe the guy who tested got the wrong salinity
and that could be a reson why the alk is high

How many of you guys shake the hole bucket of salt to mix equal the elements

I know not a bunch of guys dont do it and equals to bad mixes of difrent concetrations also at the wrong salinty it gives you wrong parameters

Methamphetareef
08/12/2009, 05:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15518757#post15518757 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eggiel
And now to help other hey Methamphetareef

What salinty did you make the mix at ?
I posted Salinity and other parameters in my previous post.

Salt was mixed to 53.0 Ms using salinity probe calibrated with Pinpoint fluid.

All parameters I tested other than alk tested ok.

eggiel
08/12/2009, 06:06 PM
First thing thats the solution to calibrate you refractometer or pinpoint salinity meter

That equals to 1.026

Brightwell says that his salt has to be mix to 1.025 to obtain the coorect parameters
That could be the reson why your alk is high
even do it will make you other parameters go a little lower

Mix the box or bucket around to you think it has mix correctly
and make an other mix see what it reads

Methamphetareef
08/12/2009, 06:16 PM
I am quite aware that 53 Ms equals 1.026

The difference of 0.001 SG should not make ALK increase from the "claimed" 7.5 Dkh to 11 Dkh

It would be nice to hear from others who have actually mixed/tested this salt.

janes_mw
08/12/2009, 06:22 PM
I claim no expertise in this, but I have noticed a Kh reading of up to 3 (lower) after 3 days of mix being stirred by a powerhead. if your testing immediately after mixiing, I have experienced a high Kh reading. I can seriously get a diff reading of - 3 Kh after 3-4 days of strong mixing. Not sure what it means, but again, observation.

janes_mw
08/12/2009, 06:23 PM
oh .... at 1.026 or 1.025. same reaction, just adjusted for salt content of course.

eggiel
08/12/2009, 06:25 PM
Methamphetareef

But if you didnt mix the batch well it could give you more

Dude just try Iam just helping you out here there is not a lot of people with that salt mix in there hands right know

I dont know in Alk but
In calcium it could go from 430 to 450-460 ppm and thats a lot for me

Methamphetareef
08/12/2009, 06:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15519266#post15519266 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by janes_mw
I claim no expertise in this, but I have noticed a Kh reading of up to 3 (lower) after 3 days of mix being stirred by a powerhead. if your testing immediately after mixiing, I have experienced a high Kh reading. I can seriously get a diff reading of - 3 Kh after 3-4 days of strong mixing. Not sure what it means, but again, observation.

I am mixing up another 25 gallons. I'm going to let it set for a couple days after mixing before testing as you suggested.

I'll post back my results.

janes_mw
08/12/2009, 06:37 PM
where you at in Michigan? I am in Caledonia (close to GR)? - mike

luther1200
08/12/2009, 06:55 PM
Hey Eggiel its called REEF CENTRAL, not FISH CENTRAL. that means that 99% of the tanks are reef tanks. I have never seen a TOTM that was not a REEF TANK. Maybe you should do a little research before you post these uninformed comments. I think you are just mad that all these people have gorgeous tanks with IO and RC and you pay 3-4 times the amount to get the similar results. And now you are trying to deffend you salt brand. I hope you aren't one of these people who thinks just because something costs more it has to be better than something that costs less. Have you been to the Premium Aqautics thread and seen the ATB 840 Vs. the Vertex In 100 thread. They did pretty much the same amount of skimming and 1 skimmer is less than half the price of the other. So that proves right there that price does not = the best.

eggiel
08/12/2009, 07:15 PM
Wow thats the stupidst thing i could hear from you called reef what ever just for people with corals

Nobody is saying about tanks of the month did your read the hole thread being fish only

I said the mayority of IO user could be fish only tanks i know they are majority using RC than IO

Dude
iam not saying the salt i use is the best for all of you its the best for me and what the hell you care your not paying for it Iam

And again once more were the hell its say that every TOTM is using IO cause i cant find it

Dude and I own two skimmers and they are both Vertex so bug off
look at page 4 thats one of my skimmers

luther1200
08/12/2009, 07:53 PM
I just couldn't figure out why you kept insisting that people who use IO and RC had fish only tanks. Or at least you thought they did. Every person that I know locally who has a reef tank uses IO or RC mostly RC. The only person I know that has a fish only tank actually uses Tropic Marin.

eggiel
08/12/2009, 07:59 PM
Thats just what i meant you see now you understand what i mean

i know ther are more RC users in reef tanks than IO in reef tanks cause of the parameters and consistency also the are now a lot of people try to take there tank to ULN level and need salt with NSW parameters and that what Brightwell is trying to do but the label is not helping him

iFisch
08/12/2009, 08:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15519781#post15519781 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luther1200
I just couldn't figure out why you kept insisting that people who use IO and RC had fish only tanks. Or at least you thought they did. Every person that I know locally who has a reef tank uses IO or RC mostly RC. The only person I know that has a fish only tank actually uses Tropic Marin.

It seems like he's just looking to argue.. over whatever. Just leave him alone, and then there won't be anyone to argue with.

eggiel
08/12/2009, 08:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15519820#post15519820 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iFisch
It seems like he's just looking to argue.. over whatever. Just leave him alone, and then there won't be anyone to argue with.

Here comes an other one

Dude screw you I dont care what you think
I was not arguing in the first place
You dont even know what salinty 53 .0ms is
came with a stupid answer of the refractive

mhurley
08/12/2009, 08:37 PM
eggiel,

You're half an inch from being banned from here. The next person you swear at or throw an insult at will be your last.

This is a family friendly forum, so before you hit "submit", step back and read your post and figure out if you are posting like an adult or a 12 year old.

eggiel
08/12/2009, 08:47 PM
M hurley

Read the hole post you see how people come at people and then you tell me if this is a family friendly forum
this goes round and round

And Iam posting like an adult
there just some people that dont understand and just try to batch you cause they think superiors always have the reason

Its all I got to say

iFisch
08/12/2009, 08:49 PM
Unsubscibed. Thanks.

createyourown
08/12/2009, 09:12 PM
so whats the deal with this salt, is it bad or good?

Boomer
08/12/2009, 09:56 PM
I'm sure the BS is good salt to use, it is just their claims that are at issue. A common thing in this hobby, called Marketing Hype.

eggiel
08/12/2009, 10:02 PM
Hi Boomer

Not to start a war
just to learn a little more for every 10 ppm of calcium lower how much will the alk go down

Boomer
08/12/2009, 10:06 PM
eggiel

You need to learn to read things.

Im not complaining your just saying every nice tank around uses IO and asking you to prove it

I never said that, I said most reefers use IO. Quite putting words in my mouth. And polls show that over the years. Big deal you found one poll where RC is more than IO. I also said most use IO or RC. Get your fact straight there.

Were your not correct telling everyboday IO is the best come on man peolple have use it and its not the best for everybody

Again I never said that I said it is the most common salt used. Quite putting works in my mouth.

And again once more were the hell its say that every TOTM is using IO cause i cant find it

Nobody said that here. It is RC TOTM data sheet by Randy. Here it is again. Lean to READ things before you speak.

Here is the link AGAIN, go look

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/past.php

RC TOTM last 5 years

Number
>30..........Unidentified
9..............Instant Ocean
7..............Reef Crystals
5..............Tropic Marin
2..............Tropic Marin Pro
2..............Oceanic
2..............Red Sea
1..............Corallife
1..............Catalina Water Company
1..............Seachem
1..............Sera
1..............Preis

I said the mayority of IO user could be fish only tanks i know they are majority using RC than IO

Well, it is not by far, as most are reef tanks. Why don't you just go there and ask them and watch what happens.

I guess I cant get bang either if you could post links to other forums

You were the one asking for polls so I posted some and most polls are about the same. There are many, many polls on forums on salt of choice.

Irwin never said what salt his using

You said he was not using IO

You are saying he does not use IO and maybe that is why his tank is not TOTM on RC. How else is somebody suppose to read that ?

How many of you guys shake the hole bucket of salt to mix equal the elements

You did not invent this, many have been doing this long before you were in this hobby, it is nothing new.

And Mike is correct you are posting like a 12 year old.

I and I will not post to you anymore, as it is a waste of time and turning into a circle -jerk and you can't get your facts straight on what is said. Lean to quote things like or other do.

Boomer
08/12/2009, 10:13 PM
OK, war over then :)

But I did have my say. So, let it go

just to learn a little more for every 10 ppm of calcium lower how much will the alk go down

It is 20 ppm / 1 meq /l (2.8 dKH), or 10 ppm / 0.5 meq/ l (1.4 dKH) if the Ca++ is going to precip, either biotically or abiotically. That does NOT mean if the Alk drops 1 meq/ l the Ca++ drops 20 ppm. As, Alk can drop form acid reactions and trying to buffer the pH, with no drop in Ca++ at all. That does not mean it will be exactly that but close enough, as kits may not give real true results.

eggiel
08/12/2009, 10:17 PM
Here we go again
I wont ask you more Boomer
Mike told me I could get bang so i will try and not discuss with nobody else even iI i never started it to be clear

Man Boomer now I have to edit my post

Boomer
08/12/2009, 10:20 PM
No, you are just fine with me, just let the other stuff go :) I do not hold grudges

eggiel
08/12/2009, 10:21 PM
Ok got that

I know i didnt evented the mix the salt when you first get it from the LFS

But i think it is very important cause some elements are heavier than other and salt wont mix correctly
Right

Maybe thats the problem the mate is having 11 dkh
even do BS label in the bucket is just crazy

oh and Boomer I never ment to offend you or others

Boomer
08/12/2009, 10:26 PM
Yes, the elements are heavier but there is more to it than that, as in particle size. Large particles like to work their way to the top, "Brazilian Nut Theory". One should always find a way to mix the dry salt unless you are using it all at once. And difference in moisture in the bag/bucket also palys a roll if not mixed.

eggiel
08/12/2009, 10:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15520846#post15520846 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Boomer
Yes, the elements are heavier but there is more to it than that, as in particle size. Large particles like to work their way to the top, "Brazilian Nut Theory". One should always find a way to mix the dry salt unless you are using it all at once. And difference in moisture in the bag/bucket also palys a roll if not mixed.

+1 on the diffrent parameters from bags to bucket

Boomer
08/12/2009, 10:35 PM
At times bags can pick up moisture if the bag is not breathing right or not sealed right after use. This was an issue with new 5 gal bags of IO years ago when the wrong plastic was used and the bags swelled up like a ballon and split the boxs open. I like buckets over bags, as IMHO there is less to go wrong.

eggiel
08/12/2009, 10:41 PM
I second that have seen more people having diffrent parameters using bags than buckets

I always think is that the salt is not mix well before packing and more quality control issue

anyway lets see what other try out mixing BS salt
and just if you didnt see it in my post

Boomer I never ment to offend you or others

thank you

Methamphetareef
08/12/2009, 10:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15519364#post15519364 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by janes_mw
where you at in Michigan? I am in Caledonia (close to GR)? - mike

I'm in Tekonsha (south of Battle Creek) - Toby

dc
08/13/2009, 06:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15520194#post15520194 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eggiel
M hurley

Read the hole post you see how people come at people and then you tell me if this is a family friendly forum
this goes round and round

And Iam posting like an adult
there just some people that dont understand and just try to batch you cause they think superiors always have the reason

Its all I got to say

If there's posts that are out of line, you should report them. We can't possibly read them all.

IMO, more tact is needed when posting on BB's as a lot of things don't carry over in print.

eggiel
08/13/2009, 06:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15521724#post15521724 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dc
If there's posts that are out of line, you should report them. We can't possibly read them all.

IMO, more tact is needed when posting on BB's as a lot of things don't carry over in print.

Got it
I just think reporting is for childs

People just have to repect others peoples decision and
Respect to get respected

But everything is cool between me and Boomer
its just some kids trying to make fire without matches

HighlandReefer
08/13/2009, 06:38 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/31/Police_man_ganson.svg/361px-Police_man_ganson.svg.png

Be warned! We have had one staff member and one moderator speak their peace. We all know what is coming next. ;)

I like all the information coming out of the discussion. Debate is what educates everyone in the Chemistry Forum. This Forum is SPECIAL, in that our goal here is to keep posts to the scientific facts as much as possible given what is available in this hobby.

eggiel
08/13/2009, 06:46 AM
+1 as it all goes with respect to others opinion :)

dc
08/13/2009, 08:41 AM
Got it
I just think reporting is for childs

People just have to repect others peoples decision and
Respect to get respected

No, it helps us keep peace, most of the time.

That would be great, but unfortunately the anonymity of the internet makes people say things they'd never say face to face. (Well I hope not)

WaterKeeper
08/13/2009, 11:23 AM
Man `O Man, every time Jon is gone we get these arguments. I'll moderate the forum for the next couple of days, please keep it civil folks. This is a science forum and we deal in facts, and not personal attacks nor conjecture.

ksed
08/13/2009, 12:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15520846#post15520846 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Boomer

Boomer

Wow! I tried to mix a bucket of salt what a p.i.t.a.
Half of the fines in the salt blow off in the air. Will you loose certain trace elements by doing that?

Also I had to do it on a humid day and all the salt started to clump up, from the moisture in the air. I don't know if element are going to precipitate?

What I did was emptied one bucket into 2 other empty buckets then poured a scoop from one and a scoop from the other back to the original bucket. I f any one has a better idea please let us know?

Thanks

Kevin

Megabite
08/13/2009, 12:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15523726#post15523726 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ksed
Boomer

Wow! I tried to mix a bucket of salt what a p.i.t.a.
Half of the fines in the salt blow off in the air. Will you loose certain trace elements by doing that?

Also I had to do it on a humid day and all the salt started to clump up, from the moisture in the air. I don't know if element are going to precipitate?

What I did was emptied one bucket into 2 other empty buckets then poured a scoop from one and a scoop from the other back to the original bucket. I f any one has a better idea please let us know?

Thanks

Kevin

+1

Boomer
08/13/2009, 01:26 PM
Kevin

It is called "Rolling" the bucket on the floor :) Then stand it on end, on both the top and bottom and give it a bang on the floor and roll it some more. Doing this a couple of times is good enough, unless you have a giant paint shaker :) However, you are best off having a half bucket and just shake and tumble it for 1 min or so or roll it like above.

ksed
08/13/2009, 01:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15524026#post15524026 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Boomer
Kevin

It is called "Rolling" the bucket on the floor :) Then stand it on end, on both the top and bottom and give it a bang on the floor and roll it some more. Doing this a couple of times is good enough, unless you have a giant paint shaker :) However, you are best off having a half bucket and just shake and tumble it for 1 min or so or roll it like above.

Thanks Boomer

I did know it was going to be that easy. To shake the bucket on the opposite end and then rolling it around is no problem.
Although will the salt still move around when the bucket is full as its packed tightly in a plastic bag?

I might add be careful with buckets that have plastic handles all the way around one snaped on me going up a set of stairs.
I think I am going to purchase a salt that has steel handle.

Thanks

Kevin

Boomer
08/13/2009, 01:47 PM
The the bag out of the bucket and pour the salt in the bucket. You do not need that bag anymore.

ksed
08/13/2009, 02:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15524157#post15524157 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Boomer
The the bag out of the bucket and pour the salt in the bucket. You do not need that bag anymore.

Thanks Boomer

Will that make it more prone for humidity to get to the salt?

Thanks again I think you just saved my back

Kevin

luther1200
08/13/2009, 02:29 PM
I don't keep any plastic bags in my buckets of salt. the bucket lid does a pretty good job keeping it sealed.

eggiel
08/13/2009, 02:34 PM
Kevin or just divided like you normally do in 2 buckets and shake it individauly like Boomer says and then you add them up

Thats how i do it and make sure my parameters are solid in line

Boomer
08/13/2009, 02:47 PM
Kev if you are worried about a poor seal and moisture just cover the open bucket with a piece of Saran- wrap and put the lib back on.

ksed
08/13/2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks every one for your help!
It was great info!

Thanks again

Kevin

maynardjames
08/13/2009, 10:36 PM
wow. sooooooooooooooooooooo what about the salt?

Billybeau1
08/13/2009, 10:43 PM
What do you want to know about the salt ?

catfisher
08/14/2009, 04:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15512734#post15512734 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RBU1

Where did you look? It's not even close to being that much at Premium Aquatics...I got the 50 gallon bucket for $30 including shipping. Obviously the buckets get cheaper the bigger you go...so even if you got 3 small buckets like I did you would be at $90.

luther1200
08/24/2009, 05:52 PM
This is aparantly an answer to our many questions, or did I just mis this info earlier on. Below is a quote from a website that sells the salt. What do you guys think.

Product Information
As you have read on the outside of this container of NçoMarine, we make the claim that it is so close in composition to natural seawater that marine organisms cannot tell the difference. How can we make this claim if the product does not provide every element present in natural seawater?
The answers are not as complicated as one might think, and may be addressed in three separate but very important aspects: 1.) the nature of the elements present; 2.) their concentrations with respect to average natural seawater parameters; 3.) the quality of ingredients utilized and the means in which the salt is produced. These points are addressed individually below.
First, all major elements are present in NçoMarine, however only minor and trace elements known to undergo biological and/or chemical interactions (e.g. depletion) in natural seawater are included. What this means is that there is a specific change (decrease) in the concentration profile of the element measured in the surface waters where life is concentrated; such elements are believed to interact with marine life and/or with other substances present in the water, and these elements are considered to exhibit “non-conservative” behavior. Elements that do not exhibit these characteristics do not apparently interact with marine life or these other substances (at least as far as current analytical methods can discern); they are not likely necessary for the continued health or existence of marine organisms. It follows that these elements are not required for success with a marine aquarium; in fact, if added they would gradually accumulate with time. Because of this, they may be omitted from the salt mix and the savings in raw materials and production procedures passed on to the aquarist.
Second, the comparison table on the outside of this package indicates that, when mixed to a specific gravity of 1.024 g/cm3, the concentrations of elements present are extraordinarily close to those observed in natural seawater; in fact, with only one exception (chloride), all major, minor, and trace elements present are in the proportions to one another that they are in natural seawater. The natural seawater concentrations of elements listed are taken from current data compiled by oceanographers, and the formula is adjusted as analytical methods are improved and new data becomes available. These changes are so minute that they will not noticeably alter the performance of the salt or the appearance of aquarium inhabitants; we simply want the concentrations of elements present to remain as close to those found in natural seawater as possible.
Third, as with all Brightwell Aquatics water care products, we use the very highest purity ingredients available, period. This means that the majority of individual ingredients in NçoMarine are of USP or ACS grade, the highest levels of purity in existence. We do not cut any corners when it comes to what goes into our products. Additionally, we manufacture our salt mix on-site under very strict environmental conditions, ensuring the maximum degree of quality and accuracy to our formulation, and every container of NçoMarine is lot numbered for quality control.
This formula has undergone extensive testing and has produced very impressive results. Livestock from every common family of ornamental marine organisms has been maintained in water prepared with this formula without incident, many of them reproducing freely when they had not done so in aquaria maintained with other salt brands.
If you have purchased this package, used a portion of it, and find that the salt falls short of your expectations, please do not hesitate to contact us. We want you to use this salt and be 100% satisfied with it. We are confident that NçoMarine Salt Mix is the best such product on the market because we have formulated it to contain everything needed by marine life in precise natural seawater concentrations, and because we have paid such close attention to all pertinent details of purity and manufacturing. We thank you for choosing Brightwell Aquatics as your supplier of marine aquarium salt, and wish you the best of success with your aquaria.

A Brief Discussion of Specific Gravity (Density) and Salinity
Specific gravity is a measurement of density, and the relationship that it has with salinity is dependant upon water temperature. Oceanographers generally agree that the average salinity of the world’s oceans is ~35.0‰, however the salinity of water in some areas may be considerably higher. This is largely a result of the balance between evaporation and influx of freshwater in specific areas and/or bodies of water; the higher the rate of evaporation and/or the lower the relative volume of freshwater influx, the higher the average salinity tends to be. The Red Sea is a prime example of this: essentially surrounded by desert and with very little exchange of water between itself and neighboring water bodies, the average salinity tends to be quite high relative to that of other tropical marine environments; areas of the Red Sea may exceed 40‰ at times. For the most part, however, salinity in tropical areas tends to fall between 35 – 37‰, and this is a sensible range to maintain within marine aquaria.

The following table lists various specific gravity values that correspond with salinity and temperature values normally found in tropical reef habitats:

Temperature °F 77.0 77.9 78.8 79.7 80.6 81.5 82.4
Temperature °C 25.0 25.5 26.0 26.5 27.0 27.5 28.0
Salinity ppt 35.0 1.02360 1.02349 1.02337 1.02326 1.02314 1.02303 1.02291
35.5 1.02398 1.02386 1.02375 1.02363 1.02352 1.02340 1.02329
36.0 1.02436 1.02424 1.02413 1.02401 1.02390 1.02378 1.02367
36.5 1.02474 1.02462 1.02451 1.02439 1.02428 1.02416 1.02405
37.0 1.02512 1.02500 1.02489 1.02477 1.02466 1.02454 1.02443
Specific Gravity

Boomer
08/24/2009, 07:34 PM
More gibberish not worthy of a comment and his table for Sg is way off.

luther1200
08/24/2009, 07:40 PM
The table didn't copt well, only the numbers made it not the grid, I am not sure why. But you can still tell what its trying to say.

Just more BS in you opinion I guess. Thats kind of what I was thinking. Any body else do any tests on this salt?

Boomer
08/24/2009, 08:20 PM
Yes, as I have seen the table and posted on it. It is saying.......

77F (25C) 35 ppt = 1.02360 sg

That should be 1.0264 sg

You would need a 49 F hydrometer to get that and there is no such thing :lol: I think they made a error, as a 49F is exactly that and they were thinkin 59 F, which is std in science labs and that would be 1.0243. He is totally lost on sg-salinity-density relationships. Even if I pretend he is using Density and not sg, then 35 ppt @ 77F = 1.0233. A 1.02360 DENSITY = 35.35 ppt

Wheel of Time
08/24/2009, 09:52 PM
Boomer, Ive net met you, but sure would like to shake your hand. Read a ton of your posts, and info -- all much appreciated in helping us navigate all the bs in this hobby and educating us a bit. I like the no-nonsense approach.

Thanks.

Boomer
08/24/2009, 10:20 PM
Thanks Seth :)

Mark426
08/25/2009, 07:25 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by RBU1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahhhhhh...the beauty of nano's.

Mark

p.s. Yes..... I have a nano tank and use D-D H2O

Billybeau1
08/25/2009, 11:39 AM
Hey, Boomer, just got a bag of Brightwells. It is mixing as we speak.

Stay tuned. :D

iFisch
08/25/2009, 11:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15591253#post15591253 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
Hey, Boomer, just got a bag of Brightwells. It is mixing as we speak.

Stay tuned. :D

bag? I thought they were only sold in buckets?

Looking forward to your results.

Boomer
08/25/2009, 01:03 PM
Billy :thumbsup:

luther1200
08/25/2009, 01:55 PM
Do you think you will test it tonight??

What was you overall impression of it?

WaterKeeper
08/25/2009, 02:23 PM
Yes, was it white? :D

Megabite
08/25/2009, 02:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15592166#post15592166 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WaterKeeper
LOL...

kaskiles
08/25/2009, 03:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15591320#post15591320 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iFisch
bag? I thought they were only sold in buckets?

Looking forward to your results.

The smaller size is a bag, the larger is a 5 gallon pail. WWC on Orange Blossom Trl. had 2 or 3 bags last weekend, and about 10 buckets...

I bought a bag to try out from them, it was a little over $30...

Billybeau1
08/25/2009, 03:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15592166#post15592166 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WaterKeeper

As a matter a fact it was. When I opened the bag, I had to put my sunglasses on. :lol:

Quite dry too, I might add.

We shall see.

Page 8............ :D

Billybeau1
08/25/2009, 03:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15591998#post15591998 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luther1200
Do you think you will test it tonight??

What was you overall impression of it?

I don't know yet luther. It hasn't cleared yet. If it does after dinner and if my wife does not fill me up too much, I may try it. Otherwise, I may wait till the AM.

Patience my friend. :)

ethank77
08/25/2009, 05:10 PM
allright I have been waiting to see this qiutly patiently but enthusiasticly

RBU1
08/25/2009, 05:23 PM
I think the longer it mixes the lower the alk will go. If you test it right after you mix it I think you will get 11dkh....If you let it mix for 24 to 48 hours it will be lower..

luther1200
08/25/2009, 08:38 PM
Well I would say most people wait 24-48 hours do that would be a more accurate test IMO.

maynardjames
08/25/2009, 09:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15527261#post15527261 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
What do you want to know about the salt ?
just curious what people using it thought about it so far

maynardjames
08/25/2009, 09:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15531121#post15531121 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by catfisher
Where did you look? It's not even close to being that much at Premium Aquatics...I got the 50 gallon bucket for $30 including shipping. Obviously the buckets get cheaper the bigger you go...so even if you got 3 small buckets like I did you would be at $90.
i have used 1 large & 2 small buckets. liked the salt, just wished someone like foster&smith or pet solutions carried it so shipping wasn`t so high.

WaterKeeper
08/26/2009, 07:44 AM
I'm waiting to see Billy do his impression of salt. Maybe worthy of America's Got Talent.

iFisch
08/26/2009, 10:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15596136#post15596136 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WaterKeeper
I'm waiting to see Billy do his impression of salt. Maybe worthy of America's Got Talent.

:lol:

I like that show too - I'd vote for him.

Billybeau1
08/26/2009, 11:24 AM
Well, I think we are going to have some disappointed users I'm afraid.

Tested an 18 gallon tub of Brightwells mixed at exactly 35 ppt (1.0264) at about 77 deg. The s.g. was measured with a calibrated refractomter and verified by my lab grade floating hydrometer. 35 ppt on the button. Mixed and aerated overnight, just tested in the last hour. I might also add, tested with a number of test kits, all in date.

As tedious as this is, I tested again because I couldn't believe my first numbers. Alas, 2 tests, same numbers. I also mixed the bag extremely well before mixing, for those who might think I did not.

Calcium = 370 ppm
Alkalinity = 11 dkh
Magnesium 1140 ppm

Kinda looks like the Instant Ocean in the old days. :lol:

I will post these numbers as I believe them to be accurate as I tested it the same way I tested all of the other salts.

I might add, it mixed quite well and be careful. This salt has a very low moisture content. 1/2 cup per gallon yielded about 1.030 I had to dilute it down to get to 35 ppt for my testing. Few salts can say that.

And wait until you here what I found out about Instant Ocean . :D

Boomer
08/26/2009, 11:50 AM
So much for what is written on the bucket :lol:

Oh wait, it MUST be a Billy testing error ;)

At least his moisture claim was correct.

Billybeau1
08/26/2009, 11:54 AM
:lol:

iFisch
08/26/2009, 12:41 PM
Appreciate it Billy. :)

luther1200
08/26/2009, 02:29 PM
Thank you Billybeau1. I believe your numbers. And I'm sure we all appriciate you testing it for us. Looks like I'll be sticking with Reef Crystals. So much for brightwell's .000 accuracy.

But more importantly what did you find out about IO... You can't leave us hanging like that,lol.

iFisch
08/26/2009, 02:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15598156#post15598156 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luther1200
Thank you Billybeau1. I believe your numbers. And I'm sure we all appriciate you testing it for us. Looks like I'll be sticking with Reef Crystals. So much for brightwell's .000 accuracy. /B]

:hammer: :uzi: :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15598156#post15598156 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luther1200
[B
But more importantly what did you find out about IO... You can't leave us hanging like that,lol.

Curious as well.

iFisch
08/26/2009, 02:45 PM
Billy's IO discussion:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=15598247#post15598247

luther1200
08/26/2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks.

iFisch
08/26/2009, 04:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15598312#post15598312 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luther1200
Thanks.

:)

Methamphetareef
08/27/2009, 05:43 AM
I also got 11 Dkh when I tested.

I emailed Brightwell and got a response saying they are waiting on new reagents for their Alk test to verify.

This was a week ago and haven't heard back.

MUST of been testing error on my part too. :lol:

Billybeau1
08/27/2009, 06:05 AM
I don't think 11 dkh is necessarily a bad thing. I like my alk that high.

I think the point is, it is not NSW levels now is it. ;)

iFisch
08/27/2009, 07:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15601652#post15601652 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1

There isn't one parameter that is "NSW" levels, lol. Not even remotely close.

Calcium is about 40ppm off - according to this article.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2002/chem.htm

I know Chris is a stand-up guy, but there's a lot of heat bearing down on him now - to come up with some sort of answer - which is likely to be "it's a bad batch".

AD87
08/27/2009, 08:09 AM
When are we going to start holding these companies to their claims. I really think that it is BS to state false claims.

iFisch
08/27/2009, 08:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15602195#post15602195 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by speeddemonlsr
When are we going to start holding these companies to their claims. I really think that it is BS to state false claims.

I may be wrong, but the only salt I know, that clearly claims "x,y,z" is Brightwell.

I know Billy did some testing on a collection of salts, to give us an idea what the salt should be, but I haven't seen IO/RC/TMP "claim" to have "x,y,z" numbers.

Methamphetareef
08/27/2009, 08:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15601652#post15601652 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
I don't think 11 dkh is necessarily a bad thing. I like my alk that high.

Yes you are correct.

Many Zeo/Probiotic users, including myself, bought this salt for its claimed NSW parameters.

I like the salt, it mixes clear with no residue, is "concentrated" as you mentioned. Just wish the Alk was closer to 7 - 7.5. :)

Thank you Billybeau1 for all the testing you've done.

billsreef
08/27/2009, 08:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15602195#post15602195 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by speeddemonlsr

Unfortuneatly such claims are very common in the industry, and will stick around so long as enough consumers are willing to blindly believe in manufacturer's claims just because they think the manufacturer is a "stand up guy". Being a nice guy is just another part of marketing ;)

iFisch
08/27/2009, 09:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15602453#post15602453 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billsreef
Unfortuneatly such claims are very common in the industry, and will stick around so long as enough consumers are willing to blindly believe in manufacturer's claims just because they think the manufacturer is a "stand up guy". Being a nice guy is just another part of marketing ;)

I'm just saying, he was very nice to talk to, and I, like many, was eagerly awaiting his new salt. Obviously it doesn't look like it's going to live up to it's hype.

I'm not going to buy something that doesn't live up to claims, just because he's a nice guy.

WaterKeeper
08/27/2009, 09:51 AM
Hey when I say "When it rains it pours" I mean it. ;)

luther1200
08/27/2009, 01:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15602539#post15602539 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iFisch
I'm just saying, he was very nice to talk to, and I, like many, was eagerly awaiting his new salt. Obviously it doesn't look like it's going to live up to it's hype.

I'm not going to buy something that doesn't live up to claims, just because he's a nice guy.

Its easy to be a stand up guy when there is no issue's to deal with. But as soon as there is some questions about his companies claims he is nowhere to be found and nobody can get an e-mail back from him for weeks at a time if ever. So IMO he is not a stand up guy. A stand up guy would answer e-mails at a time like this.

RBU1
08/27/2009, 02:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15604158#post15604158 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luther1200
Its easy to be a stand up guy when there is no issue's to deal with. But as soon as there is some questions about his companies claims he is nowhere to be found and nobody can get an e-mail back from him for weeks at a time if ever. So IMO he is not a stand up guy. A stand up guy would answer e-mails at a time like this.

DUDE!!!!! Relax....Maybe he is busy trying to figure out his water parameters....

iFisch
08/27/2009, 03:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15604158#post15604158 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luther1200
Its easy to be a stand up guy when there is no issue's to deal with.

Well I previously contact him about other products and thought his products have potential.

This was about 2 months ago - I could and would, usually get an e-mail reply back within that same day, but now I tried to e-mail him about his salt - nothing, like you said.

Maybe he is working on it, who knows. All I know is this salt is not for me.

tmz
08/27/2009, 08:36 PM
Don't know how I missed this thread until now.
Nice work Billy.
Great reliable information as usual Boomer. Still dont think I'll be rolling salt buckets with my old back though besides I buy Coralife by the 150gallon box(no free tee shirts. i have plenty to trade)and yes I keep corals.
Thanks to Tom Water Keeper for the good humor.

SpankythePyro
08/27/2009, 08:59 PM
I just bought a bucket of this stuff!!!

I'm going to be ticked if my dkH is so high

Billybeau1
08/28/2009, 06:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15602839#post15602839 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WaterKeeper
Hey when I say "When it rains it pours" I mean it. ;)

See what you started Tom ? :lol:

Billybeau1
08/28/2009, 06:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15606632#post15606632 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SpankythePyro
I just bought a bucket of this stuff!!!

I'm going to be ticked if my dkH is so high

Let me know what you get Spanky. I'm just one guy with one set of testing procedures. I'd be interested in your results. :)

Remember, even if you are doing a 20% water change with a salt at 11 dkh, this will hardly raise the alk level of your main tank. Alk is being used up all the time. Depending on your husbandry schedule, you could use this salt and still have to supplement alkalinity between water changes. Many do. I'd say use up the bucket and see how your main tank shakes out. Then decide. Some salts have other things that just make a tank look better for a particular situation. Your eyes are the best test kit.

Many beautiful reef tanks use IO and RC and their alk can get to 12 and sometimes 13 dkh out of the bucket. And these users still have to supplement alkalinity.

So I would not get too hung up on this 11 dkh thing. Other than it is not as advertised.

luther1200
08/28/2009, 02:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15604681#post15604681 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by iFisch
Well I previously contact him about other products and thought his products have potential.

This was about 2 months ago - I could and would, usually get an e-mail reply back within that same day, but now I tried to e-mail him about his salt - nothing, like you said.

Maybe he is working on it, who knows. All I know is this salt is not for me.

Oh I am not angry or anything like that, just stating my opinion. Even if he is working on it a simple e-mail saying "we are looking into it" or something like that is all it takes. But to not respond to just about anybody says something.

luther1200
08/28/2009, 02:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15604413#post15604413 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RBU1
DUDE!!!!! Relax....Maybe he is busy trying to figure out his water parameters....

You are the one who needs to relax. I am just having a friendly discussion. So you can keep your bold comments and exclamation points to yourself next time.

WaterKeeper
08/28/2009, 02:23 PM
Keep it civil folks. We don't want salt being rubbed into wounds.

jsf668
08/28/2009, 02:29 PM
I have been following this thread because I too just bought a 150g bucket and was concerned about the reported high Alk. Yesterday afternoon I mixed up 5g so I could test the alk myself. I mixed it for 24hrs, temp 78, SG of 1.024 and tested twice using a new Elos test kit. I got 7.5 and 7. I did roll the bucket around on the basement floor for a couple of minutes prior to using the salt. Just thought some of you would be interested.

Boomer
08/28/2009, 03:52 PM
Tom

Keep it civil folks

Yah, or I'll get uncivil and Keeper does not like that at all :)

iFisch
08/28/2009, 05:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15610557#post15610557 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luther1200
Oh I am not angry or anything like that, just stating my opinion. Even if he is working on it a simple e-mail saying "we are looking into it" or something like that is all it takes. But to not respond to just about anybody says something.

Don't worry. :)

And I agree - just a "auto response" with something would be nice. Oh well.

Ian
08/28/2009, 11:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15597257#post15597257 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
Tested an 18 gallon tub of Brightwells...

Just wondering, shouldn't you test a whole bag for an accurate test?

What if the last 18 gallons of mix at the bottom gives a reading of 6? Wouldn't that mean the salt mixed as a whole is correct on their reported levels?

Either way, Im happy with my D&D/Reef Crystals mix. Just wondering why you'd mix 18 gallons and feel like you've given the salt an accurate test...

RBU1
08/29/2009, 03:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15610570#post15610570 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luther1200
You are the one who needs to relax. I am just having a friendly discussion. So you can keep your bold comments and exclamation points to yourself next time.

Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude you are funny....

iFisch
08/29/2009, 07:48 AM
Alright fellas', let's keep it civil. :)

WaterKeeper
08/29/2009, 08:57 AM
Yes indeed, we are talking about salt here not the national debt.

VividAquariums
08/29/2009, 11:27 AM
We mixed 150 gallons of water last week with really good results compared to other salts.

Alk 8.6
Ca 440
Mg 1380
Salinity 1.025

We're mixing another 150 today and will post those results to check for consistency.

iFisch
08/29/2009, 12:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15614639#post15614639 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by VividAquariums
We mixed 150 gallons of water last week with really good results compared to other salts.

Alk 8.6
Ca 440
Mg 1380
Salinity 1.025

We're mixing another 150 today and will post those results to check for consistency.

Looking forward to the results. :)

AD87
08/29/2009, 12:24 PM
Is anyone testing these that they claim?

Chloride 19,500 19,321
Sulfate 2,711.5 2,711.5
Sodium 10,770 10,770
Potassium 398.8 398.8
Bromide 67 67
Strontium 7.625 7.625
Boron 4.5 4.5
Fluoride 1.3 1.3

Boomer
08/29/2009, 01:22 PM
Chloride 19,500 19,321...........Can be with a HACH Salinity test kit
Sulfate 2,711.5 2,711.5..........Only in a professional testing lab
Sodium 10,770 10,770........... Only in a professional testing lab
Potassium 398.8 398.8...........There is one test kit out for this.
Bromide 67 67.......................Only in a professional testing lab
Strontium 7.625 7.625............There are 2 test kits out for this
Boron 4.5 4.5........................There are 2 test kits out.
Fluoride 1.3 1.3.....................Only in a professional testing lab

wampuscat
08/29/2009, 04:39 PM
I like the Brightwell salt a lot.

cal 410 with salifert
mag 1310 with salifert
I did not check the alk
And salt was mixed to 1.025

ethank77
08/29/2009, 05:28 PM
I dont like the bed bathand beyond I dont like the things they sell or do
I dont picket out side I dont insult thier being
I simply stay out of the bed bath and beyond

still Now we know thank you for the test bill info recieved

Ian
08/29/2009, 05:32 PM
:confused:

acrlee
08/29/2009, 05:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15610604#post15610604 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WaterKeeper
Keep it civil folks. We don't want salt being rubbed into wounds.

LOL! :lol:

bertoni
08/29/2009, 06:09 PM
Comments that serve only to stir the pot aren't welcome. Please keep the discussion on topic.

Billybeau1
08/29/2009, 07:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15613076#post15613076 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ian
Just wondering, shouldn't you test a whole bag for an accurate test?

What if the last 18 gallons of mix at the bottom gives a reading of 6? Wouldn't that mean the salt mixed as a whole is correct on their reported levels?

Either way, Im happy with my D&D/Reef Crystals mix. Just wondering why you'd mix 18 gallons and feel like you've given the salt an accurate test...

Ian, All bags and buckets I tested were mixed very well before opening. I assure you what I got from the top is the same as the bottom. And I do feel I've given each salt I tested an accurate test.

Billybeau1
08/29/2009, 07:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15614639#post15614639 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by VividAquariums

Alk 8.6
Ca 440
Mg 1380
Salinity 1.025

I tested the salt at 1.0264 or 35 ppt. I'd like to know what brand test kits you used to get those numbers. :)

VividAquariums
08/29/2009, 07:17 PM
Salifert

Today's results. We did two batches with different salinities just to see.

The first batch we did was with a salinity at 1.023/24 and the parameters were Alk 7.6, Cal 380, Mag 1100 ph 8.2.

The second one we did we made at 1.025 and the parameters were Alk 8.6, Cal 410, Mag 1260 Ph 8.3. The results have been pretty consistent, a lot better then the other salt we've been using.

Billybeau1
08/29/2009, 07:26 PM
O.K. Lets take this one at a time. I want the info to our members to be accurate. So lets start with Alkalinty.

Which Salifert kit did you use for alk testing ? The one with the 2 drops of color indicator or the orange bottle ? Also what is the expo date on the box ?

I tested the Brightwell with 5 test kits @ 35 ppt

Salifert 11.5
API 11
Elos 10
Sera 10
Instant Ocean 11

This is how I came up with 11. :)

luther1200
08/29/2009, 07:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15616636#post15616636 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by VividAquariums
Salifert

Today's results. We did two batches with different salinities just to see.

The first batch we did was with a salinity at 1.023/24 and the parameters were Alk 7.6, Cal 380, Mag 1100 ph 8.2.

The second one we did we made at 1.025 and the parameters were Alk 8.6, Cal 410, Mag 1260 Ph 8.3. The results have been pretty consistent, a lot better then the other salt we've been using.

Out of curiosity why didn't you do a batch of 1.026 since thats what most people run reef tanks at? IMO the parameters mixed to 1.024 and 1.025 are irrelevant. Or is that what you guys run your tank at?

VividAquariums
08/29/2009, 07:48 PM
We run our systems at 1.025.

Ian
08/29/2009, 08:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15616789#post15616789 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luther1200
Out of curiosity why didn't you do a batch of 1.026 since thats what most people run reef tanks at? IMO the parameters mixed to 1.024 and 1.025 are irrelevant. Or is that what you guys run your tank at?

You really think the levels will be that different with .001 ?

FWIW, I run my tanks at 1.025 :D

luther1200
08/29/2009, 08:31 PM
Just look at his 2 results with different salinities.

eggiel
08/29/2009, 08:51 PM
I think boomer discussed this before and calcium will change 20 ppms in .001
The numbers for the great 3 are guranteed to be in 1.025 not 1.026 according to Brightwell
Thats why I think all test should be done on the recomended salinity by the manufacturer
It will be the same to keep corals in 1.025 than 1.026
I run mine at 1.025 with no problems

luther1200
08/29/2009, 09:14 PM
I know it's not detrimentle to run a tank at 1.025, but I was under the impression that the majority of people ran it at 1.026. So thats why I think the values should be given at that salinity. I know the lable says all values at 1.024, which I also can't understand why they would right that, since very few people run there salinity that low anymore, ecspecially on reef tanks (that I am aware of).

eggiel
08/30/2009, 07:03 AM
Well I see 3 Here I know there could be more. But I still think that 1.026 is what the majority runs
But i think more if a label tells me this salt will have X parameters at Y salinty then why use a diffrent salinity that will change X

All salts manufacturer label or say there specs

I think thats the first thing to look at when using a salt, salinity and parameters

billsreef
08/30/2009, 07:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15617277#post15617277 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luther1200
I know the lable says all values at 1.024, which I also can't understand why they would right that, since very few people run there salinity that low anymore, ecspecially on reef tanks (that I am aware of).

It's a marketing game all the salt manufactures play. They get to claim they are selling you more gallons worth of SW mix at the lower salinity ;)

eggiel
08/30/2009, 08:43 AM
Thats a good point but I dont think that will be on this salt cause he claims 150 gallones mixed at 1.025 you wont put to much salt to get to 1.026 like less or 1/2 cup
Not like IO or Oceanic 200 gallon mix at 1.023 according to there specs youll know thats a big diffrence mix at 1.026

eggiel
08/30/2009, 09:19 AM
I know the lable says all values at 1.024, which I also can't understand why they would right that, since very few people run there salinity that low anymore, ecspecially on reef tanks (that I am aware of).

There are more in the TOTM sections running at 1.025 FYI

Boomer
08/30/2009, 10:38 AM
I think boomer discussed this before and calcium will change 20 ppms in .001

BA salt will be a 4 % increase or ~16 ppm. But 20 is close enough.

Ca++...increase 4 % to 1.026 from 1.025 goes up 16 ppm Ca++

413 @1.025

413 / 25 = 16.25

16.25 / 1 %<sub>0</sub> and 16.52 x 26 = ***429.52ppm Ca++ @ 1.026

Mg++...increase 4 % to 1.026 from 1.025 goes up 52 ppm Mg++

1,288 @1.025

1288 / 25 = 51.52
51.52 / 1 %<sub>0</sub> and 51.52 x 26 = **1339.52 ppm Mg++@ 1.026

Alk...increase 4 % to 1.026 from 1.025 goes up 0.3 dkH

7.5 dkH @1.025

7.5 / 25 = 0.3

0.3 / 1 %<sub>0</sub> and 0.3 x 26 = ***7.8 dKH @ 1.026

Thats a good point but I dont think that will be on this salt cause he claims 150 gallones mixed at 1.025 you wont put to much salt to get to 1.026 like less or 1/2 cup

How in the world did you come up with that ?

BA instuctions for NeoMarine:

1/2 half a cup, of salt mix in each gallon of purified water to obtain a target specific gravity between 1.021 – 1.024 g/cm3

It is 1/2 cup/ gal to get to an ~ avg 1.023. That is 75 cups / 150 gal. 75 / 23 = **3.26 cup to raise it .001 in 150 gal. **not <1/2 cup for 150 gal.. You are off ** >6.5 x to low. 1/2 cup in 150 gals will not even move the "needle" :)

Billybeau1
08/30/2009, 11:00 AM
Well, as I said earlier, 9 cups in 18 gallons of ro/di yielded about 1.030 for me. I had to cut it down for my testing.

I do not make these numbers up guys. Just reporting what I see. :)

I'll start a poll and lets just see what the majority of reefers run their tanks at. :D

Boomer
08/30/2009, 12:48 PM

True

~41 % @ 25 and ~34 % @ 26 and ~15 % @ 24 and the other 10 % are @ 22, 23, 27 and 28 Sigma Sg.

luther1200
08/30/2009, 12:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15618919#post15618919 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eggiel

Even so, Obviosly they have beautiful tanks to be TOTM, but overall they still represent a very very small percent of total reefers. Maybe 1% or 2% IDK, exactly but I doubt its a very high percentage.

eggiel
08/30/2009, 02:33 PM
Boomer my bad i was just thinking in 5 gallones
I wasnt speaking of the hole batch

Even so, Obviosly they have beautiful tanks to be TOTM, but overall they still represent a very very small percent of total reefers. Maybe 1% or 2% IDK, exactly but I doubt its a very high percentage.

41% as boomer says is more than people at 26

I think they keep more at 1.025 just to have better parameters on the low and not high side

luther1200
08/30/2009, 03:07 PM
Yes but that is just TOTM stats. Not every reefer. And the percentage of TOTM Vs. everyone else is probably only 1%< I mean there is only 12 a year. There is thousands of other reefers.

Billybeau1
08/30/2009, 03:21 PM
Just vote on my poll and we'll put this to rest in a week or so. :)

eggiel
08/30/2009, 03:36 PM
Like i said its all going to depend on the salt brand as
Boomer says there is more IO or RC users.
User mixing at 1.026 just beacuase thats what everybody thinks is best and were there salt mixes well
But it doesnt mean nothing to me it just were you want to see the great 3 if you like them high mix it a a higher salinty if you whant them low then mix at a lower salinity

And I think were getting out of the context here so the title says Brightwells salt and if he says he mix and guaranted Calcium,Alk and Mag being there at 1.025 then he is right there is no need to mix the salt higher than that unless you want to; even do the rest of the label is BS

I wonder how boomer got that percent so fast :rolleye1: