PDA

View Full Version : how long does a tang remember his territory?

kypatriot
07/26/2009, 09:00 AM
I added an Achilles tang to my tank a few weeks ago, and my yellow tang did not like it at all. The yellow, who is larger than the Achilles but blind in one eye, immediately and incessantly started attacking the Achilles.

I removed the yellow tang, and put him in my frag tank (which is plumbed into my main system, so there was no acclimation). I've seen plenty of pix of yellows and Achilles in the same tank, and I'm sure this is an issue of it being territorial.

I know fish can forget a territory used to be theirs - my question is how long does it take? How long should I leave the yellow in the frag tank before putting it back?

snorvich
07/26/2009, 09:07 AM
Well, your tank is marginal for an Achilles, but to answer your question, it is a function of tank size and how long it was held. You might consider reading: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1492655

FRP
07/26/2009, 11:05 AM
tangs get territorial and usually dont forget especially in a little tank.. however moving rock work around could help

kypatriot
07/31/2009, 04:30 PM
Anybody else have any idea as to how long a yellow tang is likely to remember his territory, in my apparently marginal tank?

He's doing ok in the frag tank, but clearly not real happy about it.

I'm just trying to figure out how long to wait before moving him back into the display, when it would be unlikely he'd go after the achilles with such zeal again.

Macimage
07/31/2009, 07:13 PM
I doubt that those two tangs will work out in your tank, as it's just not large enough for both of them.

Good luck!
Joyce

Gwynhidwy
07/31/2009, 07:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15452362#post15452362 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Macimage
I doubt that those two tangs will work out in your tank, as it's just not large enough for both of them.

+1

I would add that a 135G is fine for the yellow, but not really large enough for the achilles even if he/she were the only tang. Almost definitely not large enough for both.

Hogfish77
08/01/2009, 04:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15452601#post15452601 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gwynhidwy
+1

I would add that a 135G is fine for the yellow, but not really large enough for the achilles even if he/she were the only tang. Almost definitely not large enough for both.
Sorry but I know what you say is recommended but people always overstock their tanks lol. I'd say get rid of the yellow and you should be fine. The Achilles is one of the sweetest Tangs(too bad it's such an ich magent). The yellow is too common in this hobby.

snorvich
08/01/2009, 06:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15456270#post15456270 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hogfish77
Sorry but I know what you say is recommended but people always overstock their tanks lol. I'd say get rid of the yellow and you should be fine. The Achilles is one of the sweetest Tangs(too bad it's such an ich magent). The yellow is too common in this hobby.

You are saying this because you have done it????

bj32482
08/01/2009, 08:18 PM
I pulled a yellow out of my 180 for almost 3 weeks trying to get him to accept a mimic tang...I ended up getting rid of the mimic...

nikon187
08/02/2009, 01:41 PM
He may never forget about his territory, especially in a smaller tank. The Achilles will need a bigger tank in time like others have mentioned ( 200-300g depending on demensions)

kypatriot
08/02/2009, 04:09 PM
A larger tank will come with time (it's not unreasonable to expect my income to go up 4-5x, depending on what changes with healthcare) - but that is farther away than my yellow tang can hang out in the frag tank.

Hogfish77
08/02/2009, 06:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15456810#post15456810 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
You are saying this because you have done it????

I'm saying it cause it's obvious people overstock their tanks. Do you not agree? No I have no experience with Achilles Tangs. I wouldn't want to risk it. Even with QT, I'd still be afraid it'll get ich again eventually.

Amoore311
08/03/2009, 07:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15461522#post15461522 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hogfish77
I'm saying it cause it's obvious people overstock their tanks. Do you not agree? No I have no experience with Achilles Tangs. I wouldn't want to risk it. Even with QT, I'd still be afraid it'll get ich again eventually.

Telling someone to put an Achilles in a 135 b/c "people always overstock their tanks" is asinine.

The first things tangs do when they are stressed is get sick. You are going to have to get rid of 1 of those fish it seems. The better fit for the tank is the Yellow Tang. There is no way to tell how long it will tank for him to "forget his territory". I would just change the rocks around in your tank so that Yellow isn't sitting around in a frag tank.

After you change the rocks around introduce the Yellow after the lights have gone out. Watch for a bit and see what happens, and react accordingly. If the fish are both small you have a chance at it working for now.

BrianD
08/03/2009, 08:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15456270#post15456270 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hogfish77

I disagree 100%.

BrianD
08/03/2009, 08:45 AM
Return the achilles, put the yellow back in its home, all is good.

Hogfish77
08/03/2009, 05:11 PM
^ Something's got deep up your butt mr. tang pig. Nice way of showing your rc mod power ey. Talk about over sensitive. Then closing the other thread due to danorth having a big stocklist on his sig. And totally ignoring his request for more Fowleri Tang pics. And then also gets totally anal with a smart response to my comment. Good job rc wack mod.

Amoore311
08/04/2009, 07:08 AM
Your posts bring down the collective intelligence of the threads you post in. You make stupid comments, and you got tagged for it.... Deal with it.

...Bah I had more..... just noticed the "Moved On" rofl.