PDA

View Full Version : Best Glue?

NYReef
07/26/2009, 05:29 PM
Hi guys, just want to know what is best all around for mounting frags on live rock? Epoxy, cyano? something else? Thanks in advance for helping.

JMalone81
07/26/2009, 05:38 PM
I have tried many glues and Loctite Super Glue Gel works best for me.

Akimbo
07/26/2009, 05:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15420711#post15420711 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JMalone81
I have tried many glues and Loctite Super Glue Gel works best for me.

+1 Its really the best you will find without buying the Coralife glue thats like $15 a tube

kev apsley
07/26/2009, 05:44 PM
IC-Gel or Locktite

nwrogers
07/26/2009, 09:41 PM
I like the stuff from the dollar store. You can get three tubes of the super glue gel for one dollar. Good stuff!

azcummins
07/26/2009, 09:41 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15421915#post15421915 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nwrogers
I like the stuff from the dollar store. You can get three tubes of the super glue gel for one dollar. Good stuff!

+1 on this. Works just as good as loc tite and way cheaper. I buy 5+ at a time.

Darrin
07/26/2009, 09:56 PM
hobby lobby has a big bottle for $5... thick glue, but not thick as gell..

d

NYReef
07/27/2009, 07:18 AM
Hi and thanks all, I really appreciate the help. I will get the super glue gel and use that. Just put it on the frag, submerse and then twist and hold the frag on the rock?

azcummins
07/27/2009, 07:25 AM
If I can, I take the frag out and dry off the base and plug, dabb the glue on, submerge the glue so it gets hazy, then I stick the frag on. I hold it under light pressure for 30 sec, check to make sure the glue is set enough to hold the frag, then place the new frag + plug.

Reef Bass
07/27/2009, 07:52 AM
I usually use super glue gel (not the thin stuff!!) from Home Depot most of the time. However, there are times when there isn't a viable / sufficient surface on which to mount a frag. In those cases, I'll create a mount using Aquamend epoxy. Super glue gel the epoxy to the rock / whatever, and super glue gel the frag to the epoxy. When that all hardens you have a strong permanent mount. Dabbing dry the glue points with a towel before applying the glue helps with the hold. I'll put my Vortech in feeding mode (temporary reduced flow) while the super glue hardens. The epoxy will encrust with coraline over time and look very natural.

GPhiAce
07/27/2009, 09:30 AM
I like the loctite brand gel, but it costs more. I like Duro brand and Ace Hardware brand super glue gel. It costs like $1 a tube.

zef004
07/27/2009, 10:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15421915#post15421915 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nwrogers

+2 on this

cardiffgiant
07/27/2009, 02:19 PM
I'll go +3 on the dollar store super glue gel. Can't go wrong.

I like having 3 smaller tubes instead of one larger tube, since I've had tubes seize up after under water applications.

NYReef
07/27/2009, 05:37 PM
Great, thanks for all the help!

mg426
07/27/2009, 06:11 PM
Ace has some good gel, I like the IC gel too.

ento-reefer
07/27/2009, 07:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15425478#post15425478 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cardiffgiant
I'll go +3 on the dollar store super glue gel. Can't go wrong.

I like having 3 smaller tubes instead of one larger tube, since I've had tubes seize up after under water applications.

+4. It is cheap and it works well.

kev apsley
07/28/2009, 07:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15426841#post15426841 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mg426
Ace has some good gel, I like the IC gel too.
I was gonna say Ace Hardware brand superglue gel is kick butt! some of the best I've used

azcummins
07/28/2009, 07:13 AM
Hey, Ace is the place, for me.

NYReef
07/28/2009, 12:22 PM
Nothing like a good piece of "Ace".

fkbsar
07/30/2009, 09:28 AM
Can you use Super Glue Gel to glue hammer to a small rock. I tried the grey two part epoxy from Home Depot (similar to Aquamend I think) and it just crumbled - I got frustrated (because it has never worked for me) and just sat the frag in the sand for now but I'd like to get it off the sandbed.

Reefbass help me to understand how you use the epoxy and superglue together. Now....I have a rock (to large to remove from the tank) how would I make mount using the Aquamend and superglue gel (can you apply superglue gel under water)? I'm confused and not understanding.

Reef Bass
07/30/2009, 10:05 AM
Piece of cake, er, epoxy. ;)

I turn off my pumps so that the glue will have a chance to set up before current starts blowing on it.

I cut off say an inch of Aquamend and mush it around in my wet fingers to mix it until it is a uniform gray color. The consistency is more like putty or taffy and not at all crumbly. When it's mixed I'll form a mount, usually a 1" cylinder shape. Then I'll set it down for a few minutes while I get ready with the frag and the super glue gel. The epoxy has roughly 5-6 minutes of workable time before it starts to get hard / less receptive to moulding.

I'll take the small cylinder of epoxy and push the bottom of it against where it's going to go, not trying for final fit but just to get the impression of the mounting location imprinted on the bottom of the epoxy. I'll take it out of the tank and gently press the bottom of the frag into the top of it to create a custom impression of where the frag will go. Then I put the frag down (usually back in the tank or a small bowl of reef water), dry off the top and bottom of the epoxy and apply a blob of super glue gel to the imprinted areas.

Now the epoxy is ready for mounting to rock / substrate. I put it back where I imprinted the bottom and with my fingers smooth the bottom edges onto the rock / substrate. Then I take the frag and push it into the glue blob on the top of the epoxy cylinder. And you're done.

I find that the initial hold is better if I can put the piece down securely on the substrate and not have to move it all around a bunch adjusting it. If you find the super glue is not sticking, remove the piece, apply some more gel and replace it trying to position it properly on the first shot. Dabbing / patting things dry before applying super glue gel helps initial hold as well. Obviously you can't do that with large rocks in the tank but can with the epoxy mount.

I give the glue about 5-10 minutes to set up and then turn my pumps back on. The epoxy will take another day or so to become rock hard even though it's pretty much unworkable any more 10 minutes after mixing. After first it's an ugly mount but then it encrusts with coraline and looks dandy.

Hope this helps.

fkbsar
07/30/2009, 10:14 AM
Thank you - Now I understand. I'll try that tonight when I get home.