PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to a 150... sort of..

joshh81
07/26/2009, 09:38 PM
So, I currently have a 55 gallon reef. My father in law has a 150 gallon reef, very nicely stocked and he is leaving the hobby after a few years.

He is giving me the tank and everything that goes with it. There is a crapload of live rock, 9 fish (didn't want to list them all) and 40+ corals.

This all is good news, as I am inheriting all this for free, however I have to move it. The place I am putting it is in the exact spot my current tank is in.

Any tips, advice, lessons learned?

My plan is going to use 2 work vans, 1 loaded with 5 new 55 gallon cans to take the existing water, rock, corals fish and sand. The other van taking the tank lights and equipment.

I get this all to my house (about 8 minute drive) and tear apart my tank and setup the new one along with all my corals, fish and LR and LS.

I have this bad feeling this isnt going to go anywhere near as well as it should. I am worried about it possibly cycling or crashing because I will be moving everything and will be adding my sand and LR.

PLEASE.... any advice will be greatly appreciated.

OwenInAZ
07/26/2009, 09:52 PM
It won't go as well as you hope :) But it probably won't be too bad. Make sure you have everything planned out *before* you get there. Like, go over the day before and make a checklist and a plan of what you are going to move and in what sequence. That way you don't have to make as many on the fly decisions.

You might get a small cycle, but I'm not sure how you'd get around that in your circumstances.