PDA

View Full Version : Regal Angel and LPS corals

Chooch1
07/27/2009, 11:55 AM
I have a 180 gal mixed reef. My Regal angel is pretty well behaved with most corals but is banging on a gorgeous Lobophylia coral I recently obtained. I'm trying to keep the Regal well fed and full but I don't want to pollute the tank. Removing the Regal is not an option. Any suggestions to divert his attention? Is anyone having success keeping a Regal angel with LPS such as Lobophylia without the angel destroying the coral?

Gwynhidwy
07/27/2009, 12:49 PM
You could try placing a cage over the coral for a while, some people use those plastic baskets that strawberries come in, but in my experience it is likely that the fish will continue eating corals of that type.

bradleyj
07/27/2009, 12:52 PM
I'm afraid that once they get a taste for a certain coral, they wont stop. I've had my regal angel now for 2 yrs and he leaves most lps and zoo's alone, but certain types like acans and scolymias he loves. If you keep the regal, You will most likely lose the lobo.
I just stay away from certain lps corals that I know he likes.

tpdpercula
07/27/2009, 02:41 PM
They eat them in nature so once they start exploring in the aquarium its instant buffet. I had a flame angel that loved zoas. Try offering different foods multiple times a day and see if you can keep its belly full and maybe keep it from nipping at your coral.

tanglovers
07/28/2009, 09:26 AM
TO reduce nipping my reef I feed a lot of nori. It is something that will stay in the tank for a while after feeding to all grazing.

It would be worth a shot but likely will not completely stop the nipping.

stunreefer
07/28/2009, 11:16 AM
IME most angels are heavily attracted to "Mussids," therefore I count them out in Pomicanthidae inhabited aquariums for good measure.

I have also had luck "distracting" them with Nori as tanglovers mentioned...

Chooch1
07/28/2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks all for the replies. Last night I fashioned a well perforated cover from a coffee cake cover. Not the most attractive thing in the tank but it is protecting to Lobos.