PDA

View Full Version : Hang on.....

ginger7286
07/27/2009, 12:40 PM
I am getting ready to set up a 55 gallon I inherited. I have the entire set up, stand, lights and cover. The only thing I need to supply is the filtration. This tank is going to be used to house my 5 percs, a couple of anemones, sand and some live rock. I want to know what some of the best hang on filters are for the money. I appreciate all suggestions and reasons why.

Shane Hoffman
07/27/2009, 01:18 PM
Pretty much any name brand one will work. I used all the big name brand HOBs before I switched to canisters. With a HOB I would highly recommend running twice as much as your actual tank size. So get 2 55s. Honestly IMO as cheap as you can pick up a nice canister filter on craigslist there is no reason to use a HOB now a days. Then if you need to run nitrate/amonia/phosphate remover or carbon you can. You can get new canister filters rated for a 75 gal cheap online.

Also with nems you will need some flow. If you use an HOB you will have to buy 2 power heads. If you get the right canister you can get away with 0ne power head.

burton14e7
07/28/2009, 08:16 AM
There was a thread on this within the last two weeks and sombody put up a link of the top 10 HOB skimmers. Try searching for that thread. I'm on my cell and searching around with this thing is more work than I'm willing to do right now! :)