PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this?

JTL
07/27/2009, 02:20 PM
The plan is to cut out a 1"x7.5" section on each side of the end panel of the aquarium, the one closest to the wall and between the posts. This will act like a weir and the water will flow into external overflow boxes. The end section of glass is 23" inside and the post is 7". That gives me about 8" of opening on each side. The cut is pretty simple it is just a notch out of each top corner. This is going to be rimless so I want to keep the line clean. Make any sense?

james3370
07/27/2009, 02:34 PM
if i understand it correctly, the tank will sit where mr. zebra is now...between the 2 vertical posts??

why not just build a coast to coast overflow inside the length of the tank against the wall & the bulkheads going out to a drain on each side of the vertical post going to the sump below. then just fab up covers on each side of that post to cover the plumbing??

i guess you could also do a wier & external overflow box on each side of the vertical post against the wall.....but you'd get alot more surface skimming on the internal coast to coast

JTL
07/27/2009, 02:51 PM
Mr. Z is gong back to the zoo. I am trying to stay away from any inside weir for appearance. I am giving up 7" of surface skimming which in my case is 30%. If I do the bulkheads and the 90's with 1 1/2' schedule 40 it means the weir extends into the tank 6". All options are open so thanks for the comment.

james3370
07/27/2009, 03:02 PM
do the glass overflow boxes external & then run the plumbing out the back or bottom of the (2) overflow boxes. then you just have to cut the glass down on each side of the post for your weirs....nothing inside the tank

runninstix's tank is an excellent example of this & the thread is a great how-to....

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=13900111

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee29/runningstix/Stand%20Build/58%20Oceanic/DSC_0805.jpg

james3370
07/27/2009, 03:20 PM
you could do the overflow boxes taller & have your durso/standpipe inside the box (like a reef ready internal overflow box) & pluming out the bottom, or make them shallow like this & then plumbing out the rear of the box llike bean's design

JTL
07/27/2009, 03:42 PM
I obviously didn't explain this very well, but that is exactly what I am considering. Now what to do about the return.

insane
07/27/2009, 04:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15426002#post15426002 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JTL
I obviously didn't explain this very well, but that is exactly what I am considering. Now what to do about the return.
You ever consider coming up with you return through the bottom glass at the far end?

Well if you still have your receipt, you should be able to RETURN it.
As long as it wasn't a custom special order. :D

What glass thickness you doing out there? You will probably have a little tensioning going on out there due to the pipes attached and hanging. Make sure you strap them up down under so the weight isn't pulling down on the bottom where your bulkhead will be. Using thinner glass on the OFs means less OF glass to silicone to Tank glass wall contact in the seam for 1/4". If you went a little thicker up to 3/8" glass on the OFs, the thickness would hold better to the outside wall of the tank.

Tranquilized ramblings from,
insane
p.s. What does UTE stand for? Can't find it online. Is a reefer thing.

JTL
07/27/2009, 04:25 PM
James, I think I would need to put the standpipe in the OF box and try to figure out how to hide. Insane, figured out that the OF boxes will need to be installed after the tank in in place due to the posts. It is going to be a logistic thing but I think I can get it all in and covered with black acrylic. Still looking for more comments, especially about where to put the return(s). They could go on the the same side as the weirs or the opposite side. I am kind of leaning to the opposite side with one bulkhead that would go into the post.The post is hollow and I can reach up from inside the cabinet as far as my arm will go, which is not to the top of the tank. I could split the incoming line in the tank and have two jets. That is the side that I plan on putting in a Vortech ,also in the center. I am going to make a hole in the post for the dry side and power cord so all you see is the wet side.

insane
07/27/2009, 04:53 PM
Make sure you have an access panel that is easily removable on the post. Maybe magnetic attachment. I have seen a lot of guys doing those lately. You will have to install the return bulkhead while tank is in position and work from inside of post....

I hope you are not planning on moving anytime soon!

Me be,
insane

insane
07/27/2009, 04:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15426215#post15426215 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JTL
James, I think I would need to put the standpipe in the OF box and try to figure out how to hide. Insane, figured out that the OF boxes will need to be installed after the tank in in place due to the posts. It is going to be a logistic thing but I think I can get it all in and covered with black acrylic. Still looking for more comments, especially about where to put the return(s). They could go on the the same side as the weirs or the opposite side. I am kind of leaning to the opposite side with one bulkhead that would go into the post.The post is hollow and I can reach up from inside the cabinet as far as my arm will go, which is not to the top of the tank. I could split the incoming line in the tank and have two jets. That is the side that I plan on putting in a Vortech ,also in the center. I am going to make a hole in the post for the dry side and power cord so all you see is the wet side.
You can actually put one OF on first then slide in tank then put on other one.

UR
insane

JTL
07/27/2009, 05:02 PM
Insane, you ARE a man with a plan. I think that I will need to put an access panel in the post. Who knows about moving, but if it happens then this will just be a mental exercise. I can assure you that I could rip it out in a couple of hours vs days to get it installed.

I see you are catching up to me with posts.

JTL
07/27/2009, 05:13 PM
If this weir ends up being a keeper I want to credit uncleof6 because he is the one who suggested it.

james3370
07/27/2009, 05:27 PM
for the returns do a line on each side of the posts....weir end & end opposite the weir end & build identical enclosures to cover them at each post for asthetic continuity
:)

JTL
07/27/2009, 05:31 PM
I really want to keep the end opposite of the weir unobstructed, at least on the corners. This is very visible and gives me another several inches of viewing from that side of the tank. That is why I don't care about anything in the post area. John

insane
07/27/2009, 05:32 PM
If you ever move, don't you dare pull that tank apart! Cut out that post first.

On the # of posts..Hmmmm...Let's do the math. 166 posts since june 2003 for you and...hmmmmm, where are my glasses....wow!...oh my! Well whatta ya know? Crazy guy has ahhhhh....oh, 144 posts since uhhhhhhh.... July 2009. LOL

Catching up with you, well, not exactly. LOL That was just too easy.

But once again I B CRAY Z N
insane

JTL
07/27/2009, 06:00 PM
Funny you should bring up the date I registered. Several years ago I wanted some info on marine fish so I signed up with RC. I would have to go back and look at my post dates but I bet it was only a couple in in 03 and the rest have been in the last 3 weeks. Just ask my wife!! I am now going to be a post whore.

james3370
07/27/2009, 08:01 PM
<- approx 3000 posts of incessant rambling in 11 months :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15426589#post15426589 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JTL
I really want to keep the end opposite of the weir unobstructed, at least on the corners. This is very visible and gives me another several inches of viewing from that side of the tank. That is why I don't care about anything in the post area. John
you could take a router & cut a trough in the post for a pice of pvc to fit into & run a locline fitting into the tank to get some flow coming from that end of the tank, yet keeping the viewing area unobstructed

insane
07/27/2009, 08:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15426563#post15426563 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by james3370
for the returns do a line on each side of the posts....weir end & end opposite the weir end & build identical enclosures to cover them at each post for asthetic continuity
:)

weir end & end opposite the weir end &....

STOP!
You are making me dizzy.
NO MORE ends , End and &.
I am crazy enough as it is and now you have made my brain hurt from reading that.

You helped in making me more,
insane

insane
07/27/2009, 08:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15426769#post15426769 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JTL
Funny you should bring up the date I registered. Several years ago I wanted some info on marine fish so I signed up with RC. I would have to go back and look at my post dates but I bet it was only a couple in in 03 and the rest have been in the last 3 weeks. Just ask my wife!! I am now going to be a post whore.

And your wife is now a lonely woman. LOL

I am not a post whore.
Whores charge.
I am a slutt for attention. LOL I give it away for free

We need to stop. You two are a bad influence on me.

uncleof6
07/27/2009, 08:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15425680#post15425680 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JTL
Mr. Z is gong back to the zoo. I am trying to stay away from any inside weir for appearance. I am giving up 7" of surface skimming which in my case is 30%. If I do the bulkheads and the 90's with 1 1/2' schedule 40 it means the weir extends into the tank 6". All options are open so thanks for the comment.

The weir will go into the tank ~5" , you only need enough room (front to back of weir) to turn the elbows, that is all that will be in the tank.

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/uncleof6/jtl.jpg

james3370
07/27/2009, 10:57 PM
i think he wants the overflow box external beside the post, on each side of the post (so 2 boxes) so nothing in the tank. then box in the area from the tank to the post to cover the boxes & their realted plumbing

uncleof6
07/27/2009, 11:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15428746#post15428746 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by james3370
i think he wants the overflow box external beside the post, on each side of the post (so 2 boxes) so nothing in the tank. then box in the area from the tank to the post to cover the boxes & their realted plumbing

ummmmmm, yeah I know that:)

JTL
07/28/2009, 03:14 PM
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/uncleof6/jtl.jpg [/B][/QUOTE]

Jim, that is a very nice silicone job.

It may just make more sense to do the coast to coast weir inside. I am really working with limited space and the additional surface area is a plus. I don't think I can even get two 1" bulkheads on each side. Don't they need to be about 2" apart and aren't the holes 1.75"? If I can only do one on each side then I may do the Bean thing without the "safety" pipe. Can't be any worse than a couple of Durso's and perhaps easier to regulate. Comments?

Thinking about the returns. As I mentioned I can get a return pipe in the post (I have 5" inside clearance). Doesn't the return need to be close to the top so that is can be drill for an anti-siphon? Also if I just put in a single return does it make sense to put it opposite the weir and opposing the Vortech or should they work together?
John

Skeptic_07
07/28/2009, 03:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15427899#post15427899 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by insane
weir end & end opposite the weir end &....

STOP!
You are making me dizzy.
NO MORE ends , End and &.
I am crazy enough as it is and now you have made my brain hurt from reading that.

You helped in making me more,
insane

AHAHAHAHHA that made me laugh so hard my boss just looked at me and asked what i was doing... :strooper: sorry.. carry on..

JTL
07/28/2009, 03:41 PM
It won't take much to put him over the edge......permanently. Oh Well, I guess it is too late. Come on Frank, tell us what is is like on the other side. This will get him a couple of more posts.

insane
07/28/2009, 05:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15432477#post15432477 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JTL
It won't take much to put him over the edge......permanently. Oh Well, I guess it is too late. Come on Frank, tell us what is is like on the other side. This will get him a couple of more posts.

You know you guys are going to get me in trouble.

I am being watched :worried: by the powers that be!

ok....... since you asked.

I'm just an average man, With an average life
I work from nine to five, Hey, how I pay the price
All I want is to be left alone, In my average home
But why do I always feel, Like I'm in the twilight zone

And (I always feel like)(Somebody's watching me)
And I have no privacy
Whooooa-oh-oh
(I always feel like)(Somebody's watching me)
Tell me, is it just a dream

When I come home at night, I bolt the door real tight
People call me on the phone, I'm trying to avoid
But can the people on TV see me, Or am I just paranoid

When I'm in the shower, I'm afraid to wash my hair
'Cause I might open my eyes, And find someone standing there
People say I'm crazy, Just a little touched
But maybe showers remind me, Of Psycho too much
That's why

(I always feel like)(Somebody's watching me)

Now rinse and repeat.

Courtesy of Rockwell circa early 1980's

I have an answer for everything!
Choose one answer from the following list and it will be the correct answer to your individual question. It never fails.

1) Yes
2) No
3) Maybe

and then you are,
insane

uncleof6
07/28/2009, 07:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15432305#post15432305 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JTL
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/uncleof6/jtl.jpg

Jim, that is a very nice silicone job.

It may just make more sense to do the coast to coast weir inside. I am really working with limited space and the additional surface area is a plus. I don't think I can even get two 1" bulkheads on each side. Don't they need to be about 2" apart and aren't the holes 1.75"? If I can only do one on each side then I may do the Bean thing without the "safety" pipe. Can't be any worse than a couple of Durso's and perhaps easier to regulate. Comments?

Thinking about the returns. As I mentioned I can get a return pipe in the post (I have 5" inside clearance). Doesn't the return need to be close to the top so that is can be drill for an anti-siphon? Also if I just put in a single return does it make sense to put it opposite the weir and opposing the Vortech or should they work together?
John [/B][/QUOTE]

As for the post count thing going on above, it only counts if what you say is worth while........:rollface: :lol:

You can get two 1" bulkheads on each side, just barely. Personally, I put three 1.5" inchers in there (one in the post) and call it a day. As far as function is concerned, that is the way to go, and of course the internal C2C. You could bring the return up inside the opposite post, and run the vortech under the overflow.... will probably mix things up pretty good.

Jim

JTL
07/29/2009, 07:24 AM
I really wonder how important that 3rd "safety" pipe is. What are the odds that you are going to plug up the two other standpipes? I asked how many people ever used the third pipe on Bean's thread and did not get a single answer. Maybe that is the answer.

I imagine the return, like the holes for the weir, should be as close to the top as possible. Is this correct?

uncleof6
07/29/2009, 11:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15436084#post15436084 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JTL
I really wonder how important that 3rd "safety" pipe is. What are the odds that you are going to plug up the two other standpipes? I asked how many people ever used the third pipe on Bean's thread and did not get a single answer. Maybe that is the answer.

I imagine the return, like the holes for the weir, should be as close to the top as possible. Is this correct?

If you want the return through the glass, 1 hole diameter down from top edge of glass.....

Two plugging up, perhaps not, but the possibility is there, and as soon as you say something will not happen--it will. But it won't take two drains plugging, sometimes the emergency kicks in on start up, but let's look hugo the snail (or what have you) clogs up your open channel. The open channel backs up, filling the overflow box, the full siphon is already at capacity, due to the valve partially closed. Where will the water go, without the emergency?

Jim

JTL
07/29/2009, 11:20 AM
I suppose anything can happen. Doesn't a Durso have the same with only a single standpipe.

Jim, on an unrelated subject. I just got a quote on 43"x23"x3/4 piece of glass for the bottom and the price was $240 for an unfinished edge and $304 for a "flat polish". That compares to $73 for an unfinished 1/2" piece that they previously quoted me. She also said that they will not guarantee that the glass won't be chipped therefore they recommend the polished edge. That sounds like a ridiculous increase in price, but I haven't purchased glass before so I really don't know. The price is for pick-up and does not include sales tax of 7%.

uncleof6
07/29/2009, 11:44 AM
Don't pay retail, so not really sure, however, going from 1/2" to 3/4" the price doubles. That seems a bit excessive to me, unless it is a much higher quality glass than the 1/2".

If you don't want to get into bean's S&FOS, get a gl*******s.com kit.

Jim