PDA

View Full Version : Help! Dart pump buzzing LOUDLY!

MargieInAZ
07/28/2009, 12:30 AM
Help! I've had my Dart pump running for about two months now, and it's been great. Took a few days to slime up, but it's been nice and quite since then.

Well, I just walked by the tank and heard this horrible buzzing noise. It was quiet as normal, this afternoon and evening. All the fish were even hiding in the rockwork because of the noise, so I turned it off. It's a closed loop, not the return, so I don't think it will hurt anything to shut it off overnight (I hope!). I have some extra powerheads I can drop in the tank tomorrow, if I need to.

What could be causing this? Does it sound like the impeller needs to be replaced? I've heard of people replacing impellers, but I don't even have any idea how to do that or where to get one.

What else could be causing this?

I purchased this as a used pump from another local reefer who was breaking down his system, so it wasn't new. But he's an active member here, and a very experienced reefer. He said the pump was in good shape when I bought it and I believe him. It ran perfectly until tonight.

Thanks!

rendogg
07/28/2009, 12:39 AM
Did you plug it back in again and see if it did it again? Im not sure how it is plumbed, but something may have made it's way into your pump. Sometimes a little jog is all it needs. Also, IME and experience of several friends and local reefers, Darts seem to have a limited life span. They are fixable if that is the case. Try jogging it a little.

sabodish
07/28/2009, 08:11 AM
could be a bad bearing..i know mine did this after about 2 years. im in the process of saving for a new one.

rendogg
07/28/2009, 10:56 AM
You could replace the bearing, probably the race as well and perhaps the seal. Go to your local machine shop, they should be able to help you for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

MargieInAZ
07/28/2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone.
I switched it on and off a few times and then let it run. Seems to have fixed the problem, but I'll be keeping a close eye on it for now.
Hopefully something got stuck in there, as pp suggested. That would be the quickest/cheapest fix...

BigJay
07/28/2009, 11:10 AM
Definitely back-flush the pump when it makes odd noises.

Contact Reeflo if it happens again, those guys are great.