PDA

View Full Version : Toadstool Leather weirdness

jb61264
07/28/2009, 07:41 AM
Hi...I have a 75 with a few smaller frags of SPS, some nicer LPS and also softies...water params are all normal and every other coral and a LTA all doing amazingly. I have a couple of toadstool leathers however that seem to be "shrinking away"...over the last month they seem to have been getting smaller and retracting.

Are toadstool leathers sensitive to something that all my other corals might not be? I don't have much experience with them and am just wondering what else I can look at to fix before they shrivel away to nothing.

LegendLand
07/29/2009, 08:05 PM
maybe too much light, other than that..nothing can kill them

singold
07/31/2009, 02:15 PM
Toadstools like good flow on them.

jb61264
07/31/2009, 02:48 PM
strange....i have them both in good flow. I am using a TEK 6 lamp T5 fixture that is about 4-5" above the water..the leathers are midway up on one that is attached to a piece of big rock I have, the other is towards the bottom.

mikejrice
07/31/2009, 03:00 PM
I would move them both to the bottom for now and see if that helps. Toadstools will shrink up and act almost like there going to die once in awhile. Usually they are just shedding and return bigger and looking better than ever.

singold
08/01/2009, 08:29 PM
What are you dosing, if anything, outside normal water changes?

RyanSweatt2004
08/23/2009, 06:20 PM
Ive had many toadstools and very few have ever done well at or near the bottom of my tank. I've always had 250 10k or 14k metal halides and most of my toadstools do the best and grow the best up near the surface of the tank closest to the light. A local soft coral aquaculture facility called aquacorals here in ME has a 220 display with a green crown toadstool in the top center of her tank and about once every month or so she has to cut it nearly in half because its growing so well directly under 250 watt 10k halides. More light the beter if you want your corals to do well and grow. I would check your water quality before you go shifting the coral around in the tank and potentialy stressing it out even more. Good luck