PDA

View Full Version : fallow tank questions

blumoon reefers
07/28/2009, 10:49 AM
First, I will apologize for the long post. And I am really looking for some clear answers.

I am currently fighting a terrible outbreak of ich - I have already lost a yellow tang and the clownfish and PJ cardinals are not doing so well. We are doing our best to save them (removed from DT and in hospital tank) but I am not holding out much hope.

We were getting ready to transfer contents of our 75 to a 150. However, I believe we will use this opportunity (bad choice of words, but nothing else fits) to go fallow with the new tank. I have done a lot of research, but still have a couple of questions.

1. Can I still transfer my corals and inverts to the new tank?

2. What about the live rock?

3. If so, what should I do to ensure that the ich isnt coming with them? (yes, I just learned that corals can indeed bring ich into the tank) Dips?

4. My diamond goby doesnt seem to be showing any signs of ick. Could he be less suseptable?

Thank you

Shane Hoffman
07/28/2009, 11:10 AM
1. I would tranfer corals and inverts. ICH can be introduced to a tank via corals but the ICH will not survive if a fish isnt present soon. So assuming your corals will be in there for the same amount of time as the other tank is fallow (essentially both tanks will be fallow of fish) yes its ok to put corals in.

2.Same for live rock

3.Let tank sit fallow of fish and any ich on corals will die.

4. Yes. The most dangerous part of ICH is the part you cant see. Its probably on his gills or inside his gills. He is probably mor immune to it and that is why he isnt showing signs.

blumoon reefers
07/28/2009, 12:17 PM
Shane,

THANK YOU! You pretty much confirmed a lot of the things I read, I just needed so reaffimation that I was doing it the right way.

I will get the diamond goby out as well. My only concern with him is that I do not have sand in my hospital tank....he does eat frozen food......

blumoon reefers
07/28/2009, 03:04 PM
Any other thoughts? Appreciate all input as this will be the first time I have ever run a tank fallow....other than cycling and that doesnt really count.