PDA

View Full Version : sebae loosing its color

khoaadams
07/29/2009, 08:29 AM
Hi guys
I have (1) yellow sebae anenomes (1) purple tip sebae and(1) rose anenomes set up in (2) tanks (1tank) a 90 gal. and(1tank) 30 gal ,plumbed together.The yellow and purple tip is housed in the (30gal. tank).The yellow sebae use to be bright yellow and opened to approximately 8" around .For the last 2 month it is not opening as large and now its color is very pale yellow and some of its tenicles are even showing some light brown to it. The purple tip has no color lost but it is only opening a 1/4 of it size(nornally 10" around).The rose anenome is in the main (90gal.tank) seems to be fine. lights-14,000k 250watts MH.
back ground info-----
I change my lighting about 1 1/2 month ago from coral life (2) actinic and (2) 10,000 t-5 to Aqua traders a 10,000k 150 watt fixture with (2) actinics in hopes that better lighting would help.
no help!!!!
I feed the anenomes (2) times a week with (1)krill each and alternate with 1/2 of a silver side for each anenome.
water parameter- phos-20ppm, nitrate-10 to 20 ppm, cal. kh. and ph. and temp. are all within range.
all other tank inhabitants are normal ( leather coral, colt coral,birds nest,bubble coral and fish are all normal.
i am dosing Vodka at 3ml. a day for the whole system as they are plumbed together.
i have some red slime algae on the back wall of the 30gal tank.
water movement and flow is good.
please advise if anyone has any suggestions.
thank you

jasonrp104
07/29/2009, 08:40 AM
Got a pic of the yellow? I've never heard of a yellow sebae that wasn't dyed that color. They usually don't make it but the brownish tan color is actually the color they are supposed to be. (unless it's a malu)

I know my sebae hates any sign of phosphate and any sort of light change (even bulbs) ticks it off and it wont expand fully. It seems to deal with some nitrate, but in the 20ppm range, it shows stress.

Also: How did you acclimate them to the new lights? If they are trying to hide from the light it could just be shock to the increase

Coral Hind
07/29/2009, 08:54 AM
Unfortunetly it is a very appalling practice where they dye the anemone with food coloring and that is the case of your yellow sebae. This usually ends in certain death because the zooxanthellae can no longer form within the anemone. If it is able to regain the zooanthellae then it will take on a brown appearance. A yellow sebaes should not be purchased.

Even though you have the sebaes and the BTA in different tanks they can still be affected by each other as they are sharing the same system and some warfare may still take place.

Coral Hind
07/29/2009, 08:56 AM
I recommend stopping the Vodka and doing a nice water change with filtered water to lower the nitrate/phosphate levels.

davocean
07/29/2009, 09:16 AM
Nothing wrong w/ dosing vodka in moderation.
Your sebae's actually sound like they are getting healthier.
Only issue is I think you have reverse setup for nems.
I'd have sebae's in larger tank w/ brighter lights, they need more light and space than BTA's