PDA

View Full Version : 8 bulb on 75

mullinsd2
07/29/2009, 08:57 AM
new tank... new light fixture... 8 bulb current usa no ind. reflectors and I am glad..... I think I have way to much light going on.... diatoms immediately kicked in on cured rock, and I have had to go out and get a big boy (jumbo turo) and I picked up 10 more ceriths to try and help out. I have 4 actinics and 4 10,000 k bulbs I believe.. they might be 12. Would I be helping the tank if i switched out two of the white lights for two purple ones? I think itd give me a nicer look, but would it help with algae or no.

patsfan1130
07/29/2009, 09:10 AM
Diatoms are normal for a new setup. It's not necessarily the lighting. How old are the bulbs? FWIW, I run an 8 bulb fixture (one reflector) over my 75 and I do not feel it's too much (this is due to it not having ind reflectors.

mullinsd2
07/29/2009, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I understand that I am going to get diatoms, but this was an established tank and it was all moved to my house; including the sand bed. What is your bulb set up; I really think I want to change mine (stock bulbs). Two of them have been replaced recently, and the others have about 2 months left I believe.

jimsplace
07/29/2009, 10:32 AM
Even though the tank was established, moving and setting it up at your place will cause it to go through a short cycle period. It may take several weeks before it settles down. Do you have the current readings for ammonia, etc.? Could be getting some spikes on basic readings.

I wouldn't wait too long to replace the "old" bulbs either.