PDA

View Full Version : Residue im water or tanks in basement.

kaylo
07/29/2009, 06:31 PM
I was wondering if any of you who keep a tank or ro/di water in your unfinished basement have issues with any residue of any sorts collecting in your water?

I ask this because when I make my ro/di water, if I leave it in the brute trashcan for too long (over 3-4 days) I get a cat pee smell to the water and there seems to be a powderish substance in the water and the unfilled parts of the container.

I don't know if because it's a basement that there is something in the air or seeping in through the walls that is getting into my water. For this reason I am unable to keep much water in reserve outside of sealed camping containers from wal-mart full of salt water.

I was thinking about setting up a really large tank in a finished portion of the basement, but I am hoping whatever this is doesn't make it's way into my tank.

Anyone else have or heard of this problem?

sedor
07/29/2009, 06:35 PM
You could always run a pump or powerhead in your brute. It doesn't have to be to strong just enough to keep it circulating.

sanababit
07/29/2009, 06:54 PM
put a lid on the container, get a little pump in there for circulation, make sure no pets or rodents get close to the water, good luck

sana

kaylo
07/29/2009, 07:14 PM
I have a lid on the brute and a powerhead as well to stir the salt when i'm making it for a water change. I still get the smell and i'm guessing it's because the lid isn't air tight. I don't get it in my storage water that is in air tight containers and that is stored in the same area.

My fear is that if I set up a tank down there something will get into my water and pollute it.

spamreefnew
07/29/2009, 08:31 PM
my make-up water has been in the basement for years without an air-tight lid or circ pump and no smell..sometimes i will get an inscect or spider that falls in:) the make-up tanks will become coated in mineral deposits witch are chalky and can be orange,white,and black in color.