PDA

View Full Version : Pairs, Trio or Group that you have, planning to setup or waiting to pair up

flameangel88
07/29/2009, 07:48 PM
I've always enjoyed seeing fish in pairs or harem and started to pair them over time. The focus of this thread is see what others have, planning on getting or already have one and looking to pair up in the future. I would like to see discussions on challenges they had, things to avoid and ways to improve.

Have
2 Meredithi--added May and Oct 2008. both started out at 3". chasing here and there but nothing serious.
2 Blue Line angel--added 3/09 (4.75") and 5/09 (7"). both gets along fine.
2 Watanabe--started with 2 females in 11/07 and one transformed in 11/08.
3 Flame angels--started out with 6 in 11/07 and lost 3 recently due to velvet after adding the first BL. Back in 2007 they were mostly 2-2.5" and the male is now 3.5-3.75". With all six of them I never saw spawning but now with only three I see pretty often.
Blue Boxfish pair--received the pair on 7/15 so not enough time to evaluate yet but no problem getting them to eat prepared food (both frozen and pellets) and the pair swims close to each other.
2 Indo Regal angel (June 13th) and 2 Potter's angel (June 5th) in QT--both pairs had chasing in the beginning but has subsided since. Size difference is about 1/2 to 3/4" with each pair. The Potter's are eating pretty much all small items including NLS pellets but the Regals are much more selective especially the smaller one which only touch very small pieces such as brine. I'll have to keep the Regals in QT till they eat more aggressively before transferring them to DT.
2 Cream angels--got them back in June and both are eating everything. Both are small so will see if they form a pair. The larger one seem to be growing pretty fast.

Had problems
2 Semilarvatus--the two got along fine and hunted for corals the first 6 months then all of a sudden one started chasing the other. I didn't see the aggression to be that serious but the weaker one stopped eating and within couple of days died. Someone here mentioned if it's not a true pair the aggression arises as they mature. I don't think I'll a pair again unless it's a true pair.
2 Cuban Hogfish--both 3" and lot's of chasing and I separated them.
4 Borbonius--I find similar size have more aggression then different sizes. Not enough time to know for sure if this is true or it's just happens to be M/F issues as I couldn't differentiate the sex.
2 Female Crosshatch trigs--WWIII. Wouldn't try that again.
Wrasse pairs--I don't have luck when it comes to getting wrasse pair. I've tried Scott's Fairy--the male never settled in and died around the 3rd week, Exquisite pair--twice the male died within the week, Flame Wrasse pair--male died after only a week. I don't know if the problem is my tank or the males seem to suffer from shipping stress.

Planning to pair
I've a 5.5" and 3" Bandits in separate tanks and looking forward to pair them when the female gets bigger. Both eats pretty much everything.
I've a Flagfin and Scribbled angel, 3" Wrasse Bass and 2 1/4" Candy Hogfish looking to find then a partner after a tank upgrade.

AquaKnight
07/30/2009, 12:04 AM
I think it would be pretty useful if everyone was to divide, or at least mentioned in their lists, the ones where they had intent to form a 'true pair or harem,' (flame wrasse harem, male and female crosshatch), and fish they just wanted to 2 or more of, with no real intent towards breeding/further pairing up, the fish just tolerated each other (yellow tangs).

Hogfish77
07/30/2009, 12:47 AM
I would love to have a Scribbled Angel pair. And for a big enough tank... like the one in Colorado...a pair of Blonde Nasos would be sweet too.

yukonblizzard
07/30/2009, 07:28 AM
I have a trio of Purple Tangs. I bought them from the rescued section of Blue Zoo Aquatics for only $20 each, because they had lateral line disease, but in the first week to my surprise they all completely healed from all the lateral line scars! The largest Purple is about 4.5", the second largest is about 3", and the smallest is about 2". There was a little aggression for the first week, but now they all follow each other around grazing on the live rock. To feed, I used three algea clips placed as far apart as possible from each other so there would be less compition for food, but now I just use one, and it seems to be working well.

flameangel88
07/30/2009, 07:39 AM
yukonblizzard: Great job and a wonderful story to hear.

Can you also let us know how long you've the fish?

jnc914
07/30/2009, 08:33 AM
I currently have a Blue Line pair and a Bandit pair. I also have a pair of Semilavartus that have just started to not get along. I used to have a Tinker's pair but one passed during a suprise ich attack. I passed on a pair of Indo Regals back in December of last year and am kicking myself ever since. The pair went to a friend and they are doing really well.
I will likely attempt a pair of Potter's, and if their success rates were not so dismal I would want a Venustus and Colini pairs. And if we are really dreaming here I would love an Interuptus pair, but I would have better luck being struck by lightening.

flameangel88
07/30/2009, 09:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15442810#post15442810 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jnc914

I will likely attempt a pair of Potter's, and if their success rates were not so dismal I would want a Venustus and Colini pairs. And if we are really dreaming here I would love an Interuptus pair, but I would have better luck being struck by lightening.

I know, my experiences with Colinis and Venustus were poor and not looking for them anytime soon especially seeing RareAngel's recent experience with Colinis.

LOL on the Interuptus. But if want them bad enough we will eventually. :)

btw--sorry to hear about your lost of the Tinker. It was such a beautiful pair. How's the surviving one doing without the partner? I know some fish don't do well after losing their partner.

jnc914
07/30/2009, 04:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15443011#post15443011 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flameangel88
I know, my experiences with Colinis and Venustus were poor and not looking for them anytime soon especially seeing RareAngel's recent experience with Colinis.

LOL on the Interuptus. But if want them bad enough we will eventually. :)

btw--sorry to hear about your lost of the Tinker. It was such a beautiful pair. How's the surviving one doing without the partner? I know some fish don't do well after losing their partner.

The surviving Tinker's is actually doing really well. It is extremely healthy and eats like a pig. It tends to only swim with the Bandit pair.
I forgot to put a Joculator pair in my list of wants. I was just offered a pair and they did not appear to be getting along and did not look all that healthy so I passed.

namxas
07/30/2009, 05:34 PM
H. borbonius trio: fish are similar in size, no "real" aggression other than a bit of "pecking order" incidents.

D. brachypterus: we currently have have what we hope is a pair (one is a juvie), but would ultimately like a M-F-F trio of "fuzzies" in different color phases. Renee (seahorsedreams) would LOVE to figure out how to rear the fry!

P. rubripinnis: we currently have a pair of different-sized red-finned waspfish. we're not sure, but the larger specimen might be a male based on a difference in its dorsal spine shape. they are housed together with some other smaller scorps, and don't seem to pay much attention to each other.

FMarini
07/30/2009, 05:39 PM
Greg--
"don't seem to pay much attention to each other."

They never do until its "showtime"

aznepydna
11/20/2009, 05:50 PM
I have a trio of Purple Tangs. I bought them from the rescued section of Blue Zoo Aquatics for only $20 each, because they had lateral line disease, but in the first week to my surprise they all completely healed from all the lateral line scars! The largest Purple is about 4.5", the second largest is about 3", and the smallest is about 2". There was a little aggression for the first week, but now they all follow each other around grazing on the live rock. To feed, I used three algea clips placed as far apart as possible from each other so there would be less compition for food, but now I just use one, and it seems to be working well.

I purchased a trio of 2 inch purples two years ago for my 180. They got along fine for about six months. That is when two of them started attacking the third. I removed the third and the remaining pair got along fine for another year. Then one started attacking the other and killed it. Now I only have one. It seems that as they mature the aggression grows stronger. The trio was neet to watch when they got along.

Andy

anbosu
11/20/2009, 07:06 PM
I have clarkii clowns in my reef that I recently paired up. After a few days of posturing the dominant clown now allows the baby to inhabit the same general part of the aquarium, so hopefully they will truly bond and start spawning eventually.

yukonblizzard
11/20/2009, 07:16 PM
I purchased a trio of 2 inch purples two years ago for my 180. They got along fine for about six months. That is when two of them started attacking the third. I removed the third and the remaining pair got along fine for another year. Then one started attacking the other and killed it. Now I only have one. It seems that as they mature the aggression grows stronger. The trio was neet to watch when they got along.

Andy

Yeah I was afraid of that...but I do have many tanks through out the house incase aggression arises. I am also in the planning stage of a 1000+ gallon tank that should be able to house all three of the them as well as other fish for their lifetime.

anbosu
11/20/2009, 10:05 PM
I also want to set up a harem of dwarf fuzzies for my male. Just need to find some females in an lfs.

s.reef
11/20/2009, 10:17 PM
Ive done a pair of Watanabes in my old reef tank. I would love to do a pair of Queens when I get a bigger tank

michael_cb_125
11/21/2009, 09:04 AM
I recently bought Megan a C. colini. It is doing very well, and I plan on trying to pair it up with another C. colini from the DD when I get our new tank setup.

I also are considering the following pairs for the new tank:

A. arcuatus (pair)
P. venusta (Pair)

~Michael

sean A.
11/21/2009, 09:24 AM
I haven't got them yet but I would love to do a pair of Powder Blue Tangs for my 240.

rachenbrazil
11/22/2009, 08:37 AM
my pair of brazilian flame pigmy (C. aurotanatus) is nice and spawn from time to time(water collum spawn). Also have flame hawk pair.

myerst2
11/22/2009, 10:11 AM
Would love to see some pics everyone. I have a 3 1/2" conspic I have had for about 2-3 months and would love to pair her up. We'll see. T

flameangel88
11/22/2009, 09:21 PM
Would love to see some pics everyone. I have a 3 1/2" conspic I have had for about 2-3 months and would love to pair her up. We'll see. T

A pair of Conspic would be awesome.

I've three Cuban hogfish in 3 different tanks and would like to combine then when I upgrade but not sure even if the upgrade would work. Does anyone have a pair or more in a tank?

I recently added a pair of Bodianus sepiacaudus (intend was a pair of Bodianus masudai) but according to pg 76 of Wrasses & Parrotfishes by Scott W Michael I have a pair of B. sepiacaudus. I already have a B. sepiacaudus from couple of months back and this larger and establish fish is not playing too nicely the first week with the new comers. Things have subsided a bit and the 2 new one appeared to stick together so at the very least I've a pair.

here's a pic of the three
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/DSC_4715.jpg

I've a Venustus that's eating and would like to pair him up but he's doing so well that I'm afraid to disrupt anything right now.

myerst2
11/23/2009, 05:32 AM
Regardless of what they are, they look great. Is that a L. mombrayi under the "cave"? T

flameangel88
11/23/2009, 05:55 AM
Thanks Tim. The red with yellow stripe fish is Liopropoma eukrines.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/DSC_4659.jpg

ocello
11/23/2009, 07:45 AM
One pair I'd like to get is French Angels. They would be the main attraction of a 2500 gallon biotope tank.

Chihuahua6
11/29/2009, 12:07 AM
I have had four Royal Grammas for almost a year. They were originally introduced all together in a 280 gallon tank. One was 2.5" and I had him/her for 2 1/2 years. The other four were around 1.5" each.

Within a couple of months one of the newer Grammas grew larger than the rest, even the 2.5" one that I already owned. This larger one displayed courting behavior to some of the others and started collecting small rocks in his mouth and depositing them in one area.

That tank was set up for only six months and then I took it down because I moved. The fish are now in a temporary 55 gal tank since June. The larger Gramma is now 3 inches! They all hang out together and get along very well. I'm thinking maybe the largest is a male and the rest are females but I don't know anything about their sexual traits so this is just a guess on my part. If anyone knows please educate me.

Now I originally had five in the large tank but some time after I moved them to the 55 one disappeared but I still have my original Gramma. Don't ask me how I can tell them apart but I can ; ) Since I added a bunch of rock to that tank, changed things around a bit and did a long overdue large water change all of the fish seem happier and Big Dude has started to collect Chaeto and deposit it into an area behind a rock.

The Flame Angel is close to 3 inches now and becoming a bit bossy so I don't think the Grammas feel as comfortable as they did in the much larger tank.

Early 2010 I will be moving into my new house where I will have my 367 gallon tank set up. I plan to add the four Grammas plus at least four more at once, more if I can find the quarantine space.

Oh and one last note. My original Gramma "Pish" had lost his magenta color and was a light purple. Within a month or so of adding his friends his color came back. I thought this was interesting.

ptan
02/22/2010, 01:57 AM
sorry for a noob question... just want to ask if in pairing up angels or other fishes, is we just take the chance of having them in one tank... i mean for example i just need to buy one bigger specimen and the other is smaller and assume that the other one will transform and become male or female? i'm very interested in pairing up flames... and other fishes like royal gramma... i have one flame angel in my qt tank for a month now and planning to add one more to have a pair hopefully... (finger crossed)... thanks again guys for the great help... specially to flameangel88 for directing me here...

flameangel88
02/22/2010, 09:29 PM
Try adding a smaller Flame angel then the one you've now and allow them to sort it out. The bigger one will most likely emerge as the male unless the one you've is a male.

Here's a pic of the male
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/DSC_4856.jpg

ptan
02/23/2010, 04:11 AM
Try adding a smaller Flame angel then the one you've now and allow them to sort it out. The bigger one will most likely emerge as the male unless the one you've is a male.

Here's a pic of the male
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/DSC_4856.jpg

so flameangel88 you mean that angels are like anthias... they morph into male when there is no male around them? whats the difference between a male and female flame sir? thanks

flameangel88
02/23/2010, 05:43 AM
Yes. Take a look at the thread posted by Jaken on 'FlameAngel Group' which has wealth of info on pairing flame angels (or angels). It may take some time to read it all but it's a very good thread to read and plenty of pics and video. The dorsal fin is pointy on the male and more round on the female.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903963

flameangel88
03/23/2010, 07:48 PM
From the first post under 'Planning' my intend was to pair the Bandits and Wrasse Bass (Liopropoma eukrines) and this is finally done.

The Bandit pair has been together for about 3.5 weeks now and getting better with each other with each passing week. The male is a bit over 5.5" and the other one is about 3.5".

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/DSC_5469.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/DSC_5441.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/DSC_5447.jpg

getting some afternoon sun
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/DSC_5512.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/DSC_5509.jpg

flameangel88
03/23/2010, 07:53 PM
I lost the original Wrasse Bass that jumped a few months back and when I saw they were available again I got both right away without hesitation. I see them available about twice a year.

The bigger one is on the left
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/New%20Addition/DSC_5650.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/New%20Addition/DSC_5658.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/New%20Addition/DSC_5654.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/New%20Addition/DSC_5659.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/New%20Addition/DSC_5653.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/New%20Addition/DSC_5662.jpg

Next up is pairing the 2 Flagfins I already have.

rachenbrazil
03/24/2010, 08:36 AM
update...
now pairing emperor angels...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgepnc0DYj0

just for an insight of both in same tank ...

Brazilian flameback and flame hawk still together... plus picasso clown pair ( that's not count ...)

roktsintst
07/15/2010, 01:52 PM
I've got a Trio of Multibars and a pair of Rhomboids! Working on a pair of Venustus as well!

LukFox
07/15/2010, 03:28 PM
I tried to get lucky with buying two yellow longnose butterflies (hoping for a pair), but it seems I got two of the same sex. They tolerate each other, but there is some aggression at feeding time.

I have a m/f pair of McCosker's flasher wrasses, and they get along wonderfully. There was never much aggression between them, even when both were female because there was a significant size difference I suppose. The larger female would dart at the smaller sometimes, but nothing serious. Very easy to pair.

Today I added 3 small cherub angels to go with my established male cherub. I've had the male for 7 months and he's about 4x the size of the small ones. I worried about this introduction since my friend has tried to add females with his established male cherub several times in the past, and it has only ended with dead females. His male is very aggressive.

So far my male does not seem to be a wife beater, fingers crossed. I had the 3 smalls in a closed kritter keeper for a couple hours, and my male didn't really pay much attention to them. They noticed each other, but the male quickly went back to eating afterward. The container has been opened for 6 hours now and two small cherubs have exited, while one still hasn't figured it out.

Upon exiting, my male circled one of the smalls a few times as if checking it out, and then went back to picking at the rocks again. All four cherubs are currently picking on the rocks peacefully (there is a rock in the container for the cherub still in there), so things look really mellow so far. Hopefully they form a harem without incident. While in quarantine, the 3 smalls would bicker and nip each others fins, but I'm hoping now that there is a definite male present this will cease and there won't be a big fight to make this harem happen.

flameangel88
07/24/2010, 11:59 AM
Wonderful to all the pairs and trio in the work.

Here's my new trio (1 7/8", 2 1/4" & 2 3/4"):
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/DSC_6610.jpg

jnc914
07/24/2010, 11:26 PM
I added my 2" juvi Bandit Angel tonight to my display that already houses a 4" Bandit I received last year. I am keeping the lights out to get the little guy acclimated and to curb any aggression. I also received a 3.75" along with this juvi, but I am keeping it in QT. I have opted not to put it in the display as I feel that it is too close in size to the one that's in there now. I could take the dominant out of the tank and try and add them together, but I really don't want to tear my rock and corals down to do so. I will try and get some pics when the lights come on.

Kevin- Nice trio of Bluelines. It makes me miss the pair I used to have :(

flameangel88
07/25/2010, 03:34 AM
Jason,

Thanks. Congrat on your new Bandit additions. Wow, 2" that must be a wonderful sight. Bandits are aggressive but I don't think they're aggressive to the point where they would kill. However, I do think you're doing the right thing to give the 3.75" Bandit a chance to acclimate and strengthen before having to defend herself.

Good luck with the new additions and look forward to pictures after everyone setles in.

Kevin

xxtriggermanxx
07/25/2010, 08:02 AM
My current attempt isn't very fancy. but i really like this fish. so far they they aren't a pair but on a good note , they aren't trying to kill eachother. they are housed in a 265 with plenty of timeout spots !
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e71/xxtriggermanxx/Mobile%20Uploads/Photo0466.jpg

jnc914
07/25/2010, 02:38 PM
Jason,

Thanks. Congrat on your new Bandit additions. Wow, 2" that must be a wonderful sight. Bandits are aggressive but I don't think they're aggressive to the point where they would kill. However, I do think you're doing the right thing to give the 3.75" Bandit a chance to acclimate and strengthen before having to defend herself.

Good luck with the new additions and look forward to pictures after everyone setles in.

Kevin

Well, the lights came on about 9am and the larger Bandit immediately started to assert its dominance. Some chasing, some tail slapping, a lot of flaring. The smaller Bandit is lying low at this point.

skiprr
07/25/2010, 04:47 PM
Here is a short video of my tank with all my "paired up angels... Enjoy :o)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0iHYL4zjsI

flameangel88
07/25/2010, 06:24 PM
Jason, guess I've been very fortunate on my pairings upto this point.

skiprr, wonderful pairings. Very inspiring to those interested in pairing angels.

Kevin

LukFox
07/26/2010, 12:49 AM
Lovely pairings, everyone! Good luck to all.

As an update on my C. argi group, they are all doing very well. The aggression within the group is almost nonexistent. Sometimes one will make a quick movement that will cause another to zip a foot away, but that's about as severe as it gets. Hopefully I'll eventually see spawning behavior, but right now the girls are still too small I think (.5-.75").

Because everyone loves pictures, here's the male as he was back in May.
http://i46.*******.com/29prjmf.jpg

I also neglected to mention I may have seen spawning behavior in the wrasses a few times. I've seen them begin to swim very closely (maybe in inch apart or less) and dart quickly to the surface and then dive quickly back to the rocks on several occasions. This usually lasts for 30 minutes or so it feels, I've never timed it. It is very beautiful though, as the male's colors are fantastic. The female normally pays little mind to the male who constantly shows off for her except during these dances.

jnc914
07/26/2010, 08:05 AM
Kevin

Well, the little guy survived its first day, however he/she was pretty stressed. An interesting observation this morning. The lights had not come on yet and the tank was lit with just the natural light in the room. The larger Bandit was relentlessly chasing the juvi. I turned on the lights and the larger Bandit immediately stopped chasing and left the juvi alone. I am buying egg crate this evening and plan to separate the two. I also intend on removing the larger Bandit. I thought because of the significant size difference, there would be little aggression....boy was I wrong. :sad1:

jmaneyapanda
07/26/2010, 08:07 AM
I have a pair of armitage angels working their way through quarantine now.

skibum9884
07/26/2010, 08:25 AM
I have a pair of Joculator Angels coming. Will be sure to update once I have them.

skiprr
07/26/2010, 09:00 AM

skiprr, wonderful pairings. Very inspiring to those interested in pairing angels.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin...

small alien
07/26/2010, 09:47 AM
Pair of "naked" ocellaris: Got two juvis the same size. There was very little fighting to determine sex. They get along great in their nem.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/smallalien/clownfishspot3.jpg

Pair of purple firefish: Got them from DD. They sometimes give each other "the look" but no fighting.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/smallalien/firefish.jpg

Trio of scooter dragonets: Had the female. Added a pair. The original female chases the new female some but no biggie.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/smallalien/dragonet.jpg

Pair of orange spotted filefish: Just got these from DD. They are in QT and eating well. Very peaceful pair it seems.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/smallalien/filefish/IMGP1908_resize.jpg

Pair of leopard wrasses: Bought two juvis the same size. They were very peaceful together for a couple months. Then one started chasing the other very relentlessly. After a couple weeks of this, it seems they sorted it out and the chaser is getting bigger and brighter than the other and seems on its way to becoming the male.

Trio of yellow-tailed damsels: Have these in my daughter's 20. Not sure but I think I have a m/f pair plus one. They get along dandy. Just minimal sparring now and then.

I think having pairs and trios is really great and I always try to stock multiples if possible. The behavior is just so much more interesting and visually, it's cool too!

alprazo
07/26/2010, 06:39 PM
I caught my pair holding hands tonight.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt289/alprazo/holdinghands.jpg

michael_cb_125
07/27/2010, 10:24 AM
Here is my little pair!

IN QT
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t118/michael_cb_125/th_MVI_0386.jpg (http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t118/michael_cb_125/?action=view&current=MVI_0386.flv)

IN THE DT
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t118/michael_cb_125/th_SANY0634.jpg (http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t118/michael_cb_125/?action=view&current=SANY0634.mp4)

~Michael

jmaneyapanda
08/02/2010, 06:50 AM
bad phone video of the Armitage pair.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gzMecb0Plwo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gzMecb0Plwo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

jnc914
08/02/2010, 11:30 AM
Very nice pair of Armitage angels. Did the other angels give any attention to the new additions, especially the Clarion?

xanthometopon
08/02/2010, 11:47 AM
I love some of the pairings here, something I always look for when choosing my fish

I currently have the following:

Banana Wrasse (Always spawn)
Choati Wrasse
Maroon Clowns
Longnose Hawks (QT at present)

I have also tried the following:

Cleaner Wrasse
Bluethroat triggers
Splendid leopard Wrasse

I think the interaction makes your tank look so much better

jmaneyapanda
08/02/2010, 03:47 PM
Very nice pair of Armitage angels. Did the other angels give any attention to the new additions, especially the Clarion?

The clarion very very slightly objected to the larger one for about 30 minutes, but it was only when he went to the clarions hideout. My clarion is (luckily) very very very docile.

LukFox
08/02/2010, 05:38 PM
Very nice angel pairings, you guys. They just look so good in pairs!

I am beginning a new pair experiment. I picked up two little regal angels today. One of my very favorite angels, and these are the first healthy appearing ones I've seen in person. I've been tempted by yellow bellies in the past, but they've all fallen under "swimming dead" :(. These guys were alert and outgoing in the LFS tank, and they even picked at food. The one that is more blue has a twitch, but I'm hoping it's an easy fix.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/lukfox/newregals.jpg

I'll get better pictures tomorrow. Upon being released they sized each other up a bit, but now they're quite calm. They're pretty similar in size, and I hope this won't make the pairing process too difficult.

LukFox
08/02/2010, 07:00 PM
I may have to put a divider in... I know it's soon, but the more yellow one still hasn't settled down, and the more blue one is showing it who the boss is. The blue-er one just ate a BUNCH of mysis, though, so that's awesome, but whenever the yellow-er paused at a piece of food the blue-er would chase it off. I think I can get them both eating and paired more peacefully if I put in a divider. :)

jnc914
08/03/2010, 08:37 AM
I may have to put a divider in... I know it's soon, but the more yellow one still hasn't settled down, and the more blue one is showing it who the boss is. The blue-er one just ate a BUNCH of mysis, though, so that's awesome, but whenever the yellow-er paused at a piece of food the blue-er would chase it off. I think I can get them both eating and paired more peacefully if I put in a divider. :)

Definitely put up a barrier until they get used to each other. I am currently doing the same thing with similar sized Bandit angels. I started with one that was in the display and then I received two additional Bandits. I tried to add the smallest Bandit (2") to the display with the original Bandit (4")and the aggression was so bad I had to remove the larger fish to my QT system. Since that move the small Bandit has settled into the display. Now I am left with the original Bandit and the other new acquisition (3.75"). They were in separate tanks but I moved them into the same QT tank with egg crate divider. I am going to wait about 2 weeks to remove that divider and see how they do.

Good luck with your Regals. :cool:

LukFox
08/03/2010, 01:40 PM
Definitely put up a barrier until they get used to each other. I am currently doing the same thing with similar sized Bandit angels. I started with one that was in the display and then I received two additional Bandits. I tried to add the smallest Bandit (2") to the display with the original Bandit (4")and the aggression was so bad I had to remove the larger fish to my QT system. Since that move the small Bandit has settled into the display. Now I am left with the original Bandit and the other new acquisition (3.75"). They were in separate tanks but I moved them into the same QT tank with egg crate divider. I am going to wait about 2 weeks to remove that divider and see how they do.

Good luck with your Regals. :cool:

I'll see how they behave in a couple weeks or so then! I put in an eggcrate divider soon after posting, and the blue-er one is still trying to get over to the more yellow regal. Hopefully this aggression calms down soon enough. They're very curious of each other though, but the blue-er definitely spends more time looking through the divider.

Good news is BOTH regals are chomping mysis today. The blue-er is even chowing down on NLS pellets, but this isn't related to pairing so I won't dwell on this too long. :)

As promised, better photos:

This is the more yellow one. I'm thinking this might actually be a yellow belly now. Yesterday I thought it was just yellow because it's a juvenile, but the yellows along the whole body are just so much more vivid (almost orange) than the more blue one so it's hard to say. (Also yes, the photos show a little lymph grew on their fins overnight. Probably from the move.)
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/lukfox/yellow.jpg

This is surely a blue belly, and this is probably going to be my male.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/lukfox/blue.jpg

jnc914
08/13/2010, 09:13 AM
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o79/jnc914/DSC02927.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o79/jnc914/DSC02959.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o79/jnc914/DSC02926.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o79/jnc914/DSC02952.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o79/jnc914/DSC02957.jpg

skiprr
08/13/2010, 09:46 AM
very nice Jason!

Skip

LukFox
08/16/2010, 11:19 PM
REALLY nice looking bandits! I really wish all these cool fish didn't need colder water. :)

Saw this tonight:

The male fades a lot when displaying.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/lukfox/cherubs10pm_8-16-10_3.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/lukfox/cherubs10pm_8-16-10.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/lukfox/cherubs10pm_8-16-10_2.jpg

I am quite excited. This is the first time I've seen the females pay attention to the male's displays, and he spent time with each one no less.

LukFox
08/16/2010, 11:39 PM
Ooo I saw one release eggs :). Of course she did it right by a powerhead though, so they were scattered every which way before I snapped a photo.

skibum9884
08/17/2010, 02:02 PM
Jason,

Could you tell us a little bit about the conditions you're keeping the bandits in? Temp, etc?

I'd be very interested to hear!

Thanks,
David

jnc914
08/17/2010, 02:14 PM
Jason,

Could you tell us a little bit about the conditions you're keeping the bandits in? Temp, etc?

I'd be very interested to hear!

Thanks,
David

The Bandits are being kept in a mixed reef at a summer temp of 73-74 degrees. In the winter, temp will be around 71-72. I have some SPS frags and a bunch of LPS in the tank that don't seem to mind the cooler temps in the tank. I did notice that the smallest Bandit loves to nip at the LPS. The largest Bandit was the one I had for over a year. I then got two sent to me about 2 months ago. I attempted to add the smallest to the display, however the largest was very aggressive towards it despite the size difference. I then had to pull out the large Bandit and added it to my QT system with the other similar sized Bandit. I had to do a quick tank transfer to a different, smaller, "strange/new" QT tank in order to break the Bandits aggression towards each other. Once they were added to the display, I have had no issues with them in regards to aggression. These fish eat everything I put in the tank now. They especially like PE Mysis and frozen mussels. They are very active and love the amout of flow I am pushing with the 3 Tunze's on the back wall. They also love extremely clean water. I do bi-weekly water changes and run Ozone.

Recty
08/17/2010, 04:01 PM
Your regals look good, Lukfox. I hope that works out, I really like the regal angels.

LukFox
08/17/2010, 08:11 PM
Your regals look good, Lukfox. I hope that works out, I really like the regal angels.

I hope so, too, but the regals still want to tear each other up. I almost wish I could feed the blue one more just so he'd get bigger faster haha. The similar sizing has me a bit nervous, but I think it'll work out eventually. :)

flameangel88
08/17/2010, 09:00 PM
Here are some of my recent/latest pairings.

May
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/DSC_6353.jpg

Aug--new Orangepeel to pair with Lemonpeel
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/DSC_6913.jpg

added this one to the one I received last October
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/DSC_6954.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/DSC_6964.jpg

easier on vid than pics
http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/?action=view&current=101_0019.mp4

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/?action=view&current=101_00142_2.mp4

LukFox
08/17/2010, 09:36 PM
LOVE the fox pair. They're just so interesting looking!

LukFox
08/25/2010, 08:42 PM
Well I lost my m/f pair of McCosker's flashers... No one died, I just have two males now! Huge bummer, and I'm not sure why the female changed in the presence of a full male. :/ I noticed they stopped courting a couple weeks ago, and gradually the female's coloration has been getting more vibrant, and today she has an obviously longer filament. Clearly a sub-male at this point. Will probably sell it I guess. Wanted a pair of these for 6 years (could never find females), and I'm sad the experience was so short lived. So, pair of flasher wrasses: failed.

LukFox
08/27/2010, 09:47 AM
I feel like I'm spamming this thread a bit but here's my last pair attempt for a good long while:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/lukfox/pleasework.jpg

Finally something more my usual style, with the added fun of there being two. There was some bickering for the first half hour, but it settled down quickly. Fimbriated eels are protogynous hermaphrodites.

My regals are getting along decently now so long as food is not involved, as an update to that.

bullitr
09/05/2010, 05:34 PM
I have a large adult and a large juvenile getting along ok because I have mutliple angels in the tank. Can they pair up or even just get along with each other long term I will be very happy!
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab276/seancastor12/IMG_2467.jpg
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab276/seancastor12/IMG_2473.jpg

also i was told when the juvenile becomes adult it will most likely be killed!
Thank you

tcmfish
09/05/2010, 05:49 PM
I have a large adult and a large juvenile getting along ok because I have mutliple angels in the tank. Can they pair up or even just get along with each other long term I will be very happy!

If they live a few months!

Dang dude, you have no hiding spots, and juvi forms of fish that get big and bad, not a good recipe. You will probably learn a lesson or two real quick. No offense, that is one of the worst tanks I've seen in a while. If you want some pointers I'm sure people (including me) would be willing to help, but get a bigger tank or re-think your current fish! Also give them some security!

TheH
09/05/2010, 05:52 PM
bullitr, is that one of your 70/75g quarantines?

tcmfish
09/05/2010, 06:00 PM
Well hopefully it is, and if you put a new fish in QT all the fish go back to day 1.

LamboBoy
09/05/2010, 06:49 PM
If they live a few months!

Dang dude, you have no hiding spots, and juvi forms of fish that get big and bad, not a good recipe. You will probably learn a lesson or two real quick. No offense, that is one of the worst tanks I've seen in a while. If you want some pointers I'm sure people (including me) would be willing to help, but get a bigger tank or re-think your current fish! Also give them some security!

That must be a QT tank, look at his signature.

bullitr
09/05/2010, 07:44 PM
Sorry if you feel that my tank is the worst but It will be on 435 gallon tank! Its on my qt tank right now but to bash my tank like that is not very polite!j/k.lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullitr
09/05/2010, 07:47 PM
I am just QT right now because it will be easier to catch and separate them there and I have ick issues on my main tank!

bullitr
09/05/2010, 07:51 PM
<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wEHp7RGZZCU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wEHp7RGZZCU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

TheH
09/05/2010, 08:01 PM
See, that is what I thought there was no aquascape in that tank. Very nice display bullitr.

bullitr
09/05/2010, 08:04 PM
See, that is what I thought there was no aquascape in that tank. Very nice display bullitr.

thank you
do you guys there is a chance?
btw i had a pair of flame angel before but the nip on my corals so they have to go!

Sardaukar
09/05/2010, 09:44 PM
Bullitr, I think the issue is that pairing up of fish like that is likely to be more successful if the fish have a way to hide/break visual sight of each other. Trying to pair up two fish like that is hard enough, but doing it in a tank where the fish have no place to hide is adding an extra level of risk to the proposition.

bullitr
09/05/2010, 11:42 PM
Bullitr, I think the issue is that pairing up of fish like that is likely to be more successful if the fish have a way to hide/break visual sight of each other. Trying to pair up two fish like that is hard enough, but doing it in a tank where the fish have no place to hide is adding an extra level of risk to the proposition.
They don't fight what so ever for 3 days because I have 5 angels in the QT. They will be on the tank where they can hide later on.
It seems easier to find out if they can tolerate each other on a small tank than catching them on the big tank after someone already beat up.

bullitr
09/07/2010, 12:10 AM
Day 4 they still very friendly but I am worried about my adult emperor he still yet to eat after moving form display tank to QT.

jonathansruelas
09/07/2010, 12:32 AM
very nice tank bullitr 450 is massive, i bet your very happy with your selection of fish you keep

bullitr
09/07/2010, 10:19 AM
Thank you
day 5 no aggression noted

jonathansruelas
09/07/2010, 02:39 PM
so u just bought all that batch u had in the qt ?

Cantonesefish
09/07/2010, 03:44 PM
I love some of the pairings here, something I always look for when choosing my fish

I currently have the following:

Banana Wrasse (Always spawn)
Choati Wrasse
Maroon Clowns
Longnose Hawks (QT at present)

I have also tried the following:

Cleaner Wrasse
Bluethroat triggers
Splendid leopard Wrasse

I think the interaction makes your tank look so much better

Which banana wrasse?

bullitr
09/07/2010, 06:05 PM
so u just bought all that batch u had in the qt ?
Some of them
I separated my passer , large blue tang, and sailfin and give away my dwarf yellow angel but replace with asfur and powder brown!

Baldwin
09/08/2010, 11:30 AM
Ok quick question for anyone who may have experienced this. i just ordered 2 flame angels. They are not a pair, but I hope to pair them. I have 2 20 gallon quarantine tanks, should I quarantine them seperate or together?

skibum9884
09/08/2010, 12:12 PM
I would keep them in one 20 gallon, but put in an eggcrate divider. Once they're eating well, you can remove the divider for a few minutes, and then separate them again. Keep doing this and extending the amount of time their together (unless the fighting is very bad), and with a bit of work they should get along.

Also, if it isn't too late, I'd recommend ordering them so they're slightly different sizes, that should minimize the fighting to see who is the dominant angel.

Good luck!

Baldwin
09/08/2010, 01:32 PM
That was my original plan so thanks for the reassurance.

skibum9884
09/08/2010, 01:53 PM
I tried that with 2 blueline angels (3.25" and 2.5"), and they get along great now! Took just a few tries.

seahorsedreams
09/09/2010, 12:22 PM
Trio of red saddled anthias that is now a pair.... a separated pair. They HATE each other.

NexDog
09/09/2010, 09:15 PM
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab276/seancastor12/IMG_2467.jpg
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab276/seancastor12/IMG_2473.jpg

Thank you
I did a similar thing - semi-adult Emp and a juvi Emp. Got on fine in QT and then the bigger one killed the smaller one once in the DT. I heard it was best to get an adult plus a semi-adult so the smaller fish can stand up for itself more when the aggression comes, and it invariably will. Think your juvi is a bit too small.

bullitr
09/09/2010, 11:11 PM
I did a similar thing - semi-adult Emp and a juvi Emp. Got on fine in QT and then the bigger one killed the smaller one once in the DT. I heard it was best to get an adult plus a semi-adult so the smaller fish can stand up for itself more when the aggression comes, and it invariably will. Think your juvi is a bit too small.
My problem really is my adult emperor are too nice! It never chase anyone on the tank and still don't eat as well . I think my passer shock him although they been separated for a while it's still not aggressive enough to stand up for the mean passer when i put them back on the display.It's been almost a week I think but they are very happy without the mean passer angel in the tank with them. Asfur angel is doing really good too!
Now if i can only catch the 4 wrasse remaining from my display I will be happy!