View Full Version : dendophiliia

Darrin
07/29/2009, 08:13 PM
best way to feed em?

d

bunzaroo
07/30/2009, 08:18 AM
Couple of ways:

1) Turn off all flow and w/ a turkey baster squirt some mysis, blood worms, cyclopeeze etc onto the heads.

2) You can feed them larger pieces of chopped shrimp , squid, silversides, etc by placing the food w/ tweezers on the tentacles. Either way has been effective for me. I have used this method w/ suncorals, balanophylia, and rhyzo. If you have fish in the tank, they might want to steel the food so you might have to distract them or do what others have done by placing a small strawberry basket over the corl so the fish can't get at the food. Good Luck. For best growth feed them 2-3 times a week.

Darrin
07/30/2009, 09:58 AM
can you remove the coral and put it in a bowl to feed? its only one polyp..

d

pan_natan
07/30/2009, 11:04 AM
no u cant, it will stress him.

BonesCJ
07/30/2009, 12:43 PM
not always true, I have seen several posts with people who do exactly that with large NPS colonies of sun corals and the like. Put them in a container and create a snowstorm of food for them to eat.

stunreefer
07/30/2009, 01:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15443298#post15443298 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Darrin
can you remove the coral and put it in a bowl to feed? its only one polyp..

d
Absolutely yes you can.

When you take it out I recommend transfering it into a small tupperware so it never makes contact with the air. Place small amount of food in the tupperware and wait for the dendro to open. once it does... feed it! A lot! Let the polyps fully consume the food and let it sit for about 15-20 mins. After that gently return it to the tank the same means you removed it.

Peronally I only do this with damaged Tubastrea colonies that absolutely will not open their polyps at first in the display tank. This coaxes them out as you can douse them with tons of food and not polute your tank. After a while they begin to open on their own in the display and you can feed them there.

As pan_natan stated though, any time you move any coral around it will stress them, so I only recommend feeding it like this initially. Plus over time it will encrust onto a rock (if you let it) and continue to grow.

I always feed my fish heavily, then my NPS coral after that. Generally the fish leave them alone, if not I'll put a lil more food in for the fish. If worse comes to worse and the fish is being a PITA I chase it around with my Kent SeaSquirrt (which is what I use to feed my NPS coral).

Darrin
07/30/2009, 02:45 PM
i just cant shut off my flow without flooding my office... my sump is too small...

d

stunreefer
07/30/2009, 03:00 PM
If the polyps are out you can spot feed them with the flow on - I do everyday. I rarely shut my flow off for feeding, really only when I want to look top-down.

Be carefull with that sump Darrin, you don't want to come into a flood because of a power-outtage! I'm sure you know that though ;)

BTW, is this dendro in your gorgeous SPS display?

pan_natan
07/30/2009, 03:17 PM
sorry my mistake, i thought it was aboute Dendronephthya :)

so yes u can feed dendrophillia in some cup or bowl :)

bunzaroo
07/30/2009, 03:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15444674#post15444674 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stunreefer
Absolutely yes you can.

When you take it out I recommend transfering it into a small tupperware so it never makes contact with the air. Place small amount of food in the tupperware and wait for the dendro to open. once it does... feed it! A lot! Let the polyps fully consume the food and let it sit for about 15-20 mins. After that gently return it to the tank the same means you removed it.

Peronally I only do this with damaged Tubastrea colonies that absolutely will not open their polyps at first in the display tank. This coaxes them out as you can douse them with tons of food and not polute your tank. After a while they begin to open on their own in the display and you can feed them there.

As pan_natan stated though, any time you move any coral around it will stress them, so I only recommend feeding it like this initially. Plus over time it will encrust onto a rock (if you let it) and continue to grow.

I always feed my fish heavily, then my NPS coral after that. Generally the fish leave them alone, if not I'll put a lil more food in for the fish. If worse comes to worse and the fish is being a PITA I chase it around with my Kent SeaSquirrt (which is what I use to feed my NPS coral).

I have a yellow tang that will not leave my NPS corals during feeding time. I use your approach as well. I chase them with the SeaSquirt, sometimes I even have to push them aside and into the rockwork!!

Darrin
07/30/2009, 08:17 PM
i just bought a single polyp for $15 at t lfs... thought i would give it a shot... It's in my 300,,'

I wold love to try dendronepthias, i even had some last a while, long time ago, but I'm just getting back into tanks.... My system crashed 2.5 years ago when a tornado took out my office.

d