PDA

View Full Version : feeding question one last time!

neupane00
07/29/2009, 09:27 PM
i am tired of brown and green algae on my tank. And everyone else has crystal clear clean tank. I am so frustrated. I am using ro/di water, i am using ro/di water for top offs. What could be doing wrong? Only thing that comes to my mind is i must be over feeding. So here is the question.

i have follwing in my 40 gallon tank:

a) 2 clown fish
b) 9 hermit crabs
c) 1 olive snail (the one that goes under the sand)
d) 2 nass snail
e) 3 turbo snail
f) 1 margarita snail
g) 2 cerith snail.
e) 2 feather duster

just starting so i have few corals:

a) 3 frags of diff polyps
b) 1 torch coral

Now what and how much should i feed. while feeding should i also consider food for crabs and snails?

Please give me some sense of how much should i be feeding them. Currently i feed 1/5 cube of hikari frozen food (of that 3 oz pack) like brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, marine cusine.. etc. i rotate. But i feed like 1/5 cube once a day. is that too much for above list of livestock?

( btw, i have chemipure and phosban running to absorb any phosphate and nitrate.. reading of both shows 0 but i am sure thats cuz i have algae... also i have cheato macro algae in refugium.. i have 14000k MH running 6 hrs a day, and 2x24w actinic running 8 hrs a day)

loyalrogue
07/29/2009, 10:03 PM
How long has your tank been up and running?
It may just be a case of not being established, stable, and in it's biological groove yet.

Btw, algae is natural even in very old, established tanks, and most of those "crystal clear" tanks you've seen have probably just been cleaned right before being photographed. ;)

scuba guy ron
07/29/2009, 10:08 PM
Sounds like your tank is new and still cycling. Have you tested all your perams? I see you'v tested phos but how about nitrates? The phosban reactor will take prob aprox 6 mos to do the job it is intended for. Remember, in this hobby things happen very slowly. For that tank size you should add a stronger clean up crew. my 37 has a dozen blue legs and 4 nerite snails and 4 astrea snails. When i started my tank I was very naive to the cycling and final curing process and It took over a year to get rid of my algae problems. As for feeding, I use flake every other day and only feed a tiny bit. watch the animals eat. you can see when they have had enough. For the filter feeders like feather dusters I feed Oyster eggs 1x per week

thegrun
07/29/2009, 10:10 PM
The general rule of thumb is don't feed more than the fish can eat in 3 minutes maximum, if you feed every day (which I think is a good idea although many feed every other day) go with 2 minutes maximum. You don't need to worry about the snails, but the feather duster will need special food 2 or 3 times a week (I use liquid oyster egg). Looks like all your parameters are good along with your lighting durations which are if anything slightly short (I go 7 hours and 12 hours actinics).

badwrasse
07/30/2009, 02:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15441337#post15441337 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scuba guy ron
Sounds like your tank is new and still cycling. Have you tested all your perams? I see you'v tested phos but how about nitrates? The phosban reactor will take prob aprox 6 mos to do the job it is intended for. Remember, in this hobby things happen very slowly. For that tank size you should add a stronger clean up crew. my 37 has a dozen blue legs and 4 nerite snails and 4 astrea snails. When i started my tank I was very naive to the cycling and final curing process and It took over a year to get rid of my algae problems. As for feeding, I use flake every other day and only feed a tiny bit. watch the animals eat. you can see when they have had enough. For the filter feeders like feather dusters I feed Oyster eggs 1x per week

a three weeks to drop my phos from .4 to 0 and nope never came back

scuba guy ron
07/30/2009, 07:43 AM
The phos shows 0 due to the fact the algae is using it. the phosphate media will slowly out compete the micro algae for the phosphates over time.

badwrasse
07/30/2009, 03:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15442511#post15442511 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scuba guy ron
The phos shows 0 due to the fact the algae is using it. the phosphate media will slowly out compete the micro algae for the phosphates over time.

I havn't ran phosban in my tank in months it would have came back by now
Its not like took it of a week ago and my macro doesn't grow with 100watt 65k bulb and wouldnt it grown with phos.nitrates and excessive nutrients? I dont have excessive aglae or any diatoms

Not traceable is none to me