PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 inch gash on my clownfish

Lyfey
07/30/2009, 10:11 AM
Hello, I came home from work last night to find a 1/2 inch gash, clean cut on my ocellaris clownfish. The clown is almost 3 inches long, at least 1.5 years old. The gash is just above his pectoral fin on his right side, closer to the face and up to his dorsal (top) fin.

It looks like a clean cut and I think its from my only tang, A Dussemeiri that I have had since thanksgiving 2008. She has never caused any problems. The tank is healthy. Its only a 75 gallon and I think aggression was the cause. I do not have a qt tank set up. I moved 2 months ago and had to downgrade from a 125 gallon 6' tank to my 4' 75. Any thoughts? Feed a little heavier and keep a close eye?

Thanks for the advice guys!
-Chris

Amoore311
07/30/2009, 10:18 AM
A Duss in a 4' 75 is asking for trouble. Feeding more will only hide the fact that the fish is probably stressed and angry b/c of the size of the tank.

That being said, as long as the clown isn't getting picked on, the gash should heal pretty quickly. Keep an eye out for any infection. My powder blue put a nice gash in my Yellow Tang once. It went from my yellows tail base, almost up to the gil. It healed in about a week though.

Lyfey
07/30/2009, 10:39 AM
Yea I understand about the 4'.. Tang police woop woop!! :) Anyways, I am going to re-aquascape in the mean time to open up some more room for the fishes. The tang is over 4" I am just in a little jam. I had to leave my 125 gallon at the old apartment an hour away. I did not have transportation for it and I am sure everyone knows how difficult it is to transport a reef. I had to use what I had available. I do have a extra 75 gallon tank, that I could plum into the system. It would take some work, but that tank could be dedicated only to the tang.

rkelman
07/30/2009, 12:28 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the cut. Don't feed anymore just keep an eye on it. My male B&W survived a huge gash.