PDA

View Full Version : 250 gal reef aquarium build

nim
07/30/2009, 11:08 AM
Hello everyone,
I have this build from scratch plan about a reef/fish tank, the tank will be 48'' length 48" with and 30'' deep made from 1/2 inch acrylic, flow adjustable bulkheads at 5 different levels mounted in the bottom of the tank and hidden within the rock work, directional flow arms 2 each side in the upper rear of the tank, a surface skimmer in the middle, waste inlets mounted also in the rear at placed levels for efficient gathering of waste. this idea was formulated to reduce the need to run electric flow pumps having electric cords, inlet and outlet tubes draped over the sides and ultimately ruining the view of the reef,lighting will be 600.36 watts fully automatic day/night fade w/moon canopy subject to change amount of watts for healthy corals. a sump tank,reservoir,skimmer, complete hands out biological filter reducing the need for replaceable media that expires in a few months I've had a lot of store bought tanks and get discouraged about the limited layout availability, with one spectacular layout in the plan that will astound novice's and new combers to the hobby, sorry no fair peeking, I will provide pictures of step by step build and the ultimate finished picture and video when completed. I want to thank you all for your discussions, trials,success and builds that has helped me over the past months for this build,i look forward to your comments and ideas for anything i have missed.....Thank you again.

troylee
07/30/2009, 11:52 AM
sounds like a cool tank but 1/2" acrylic aint gonna cut it....3/4" min. on that depth and a min. of a 3 or 4" euro brace is requried...........;)

nim
07/30/2009, 12:01 PM
thank you troylee 3/4" with brace got it,making changes to the sketch up

nim
07/30/2009, 12:12 PM
troylee, what brand of adhesive would you recommend for strong hold? as this is my first tank build especially acrylic.

troylee
07/30/2009, 12:24 PM
weldon 3 or 4.......not really a good tank to learn on imo....thats a big boy also look into weldon 40.......click my red house and you can see how it's done.....practice practice practice on scraps for awhile before going gung ho!!!!!!!!!!

nim
07/30/2009, 12:29 PM
I am currently using my 12 gal bio cube to grow coralline algae to seed new rock work 4 species for now but i will order more while rock work is cycling, I completely love the stuff for vibrant rock color and texture and all the biological benefits... õ¿~

troylee
07/30/2009, 12:36 PM
im talking about learning to build with acrylic......:) lol

TODDVICKI
07/30/2009, 12:59 PM
Where is a good place to purchase acrylic for a tank... What kind specifically is best??

troylee
07/30/2009, 01:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15444333#post15444333 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TODDVICKI
Where is a good place to purchase acrylic for a tank... What kind specifically is best??
acrylite "gp" or plexiglass "g" both good quality cast materials.....