PDA

View Full Version : Q: for Sulphur Denitrator Users

mmotown
07/31/2009, 09:18 AM
Just wanted to ask you guys a question about my sulphur denitrator. I have a 150 gallon tank that I started over. I cooked my rock and went with less rock in my tank and I fully changed my sand out to a larger grain that I vacume on a regular basis. I have plenty flow in my tank. In my 150 I have the following for live stock: 1~ 6" vhalmingi tang, 1~ 3.5" vhalmingi tang, 1 yellow tang , 1 powder blue tang, 3 anthias and 3 blue/green chromis.

My Q: is my sulphur effluent is 0 N03 but my tank N03 per ELOS is: 1 with 5 being deadly (this was last week) and last night my tank NO3 was 2.5. My drip rate is about 2-3 drips per sec. I thought my tank N03 was supposed to fall or do I have too many fish? the last time I sped my effluent drip rate I detected NO3 when I tested it a couple of days later. Will you please advise of what I need to do? I know eventually all of my tank water vol is supposed to pass through the reactor but at a few drips per sec that would take forever and the feedings etc is still contributing to the making of N03. I am happy with the reactor but I want my tank at 0 before I start adding alot of SPS. Thanks

cmart28
07/31/2009, 12:12 PM
You need to remove both Vlamingi Tangs a 150 is not large enough for one, let alone two. Removing those two and you are stocked fine, you could even add a few more fish.

What kind of denitrator did you get? I know with mine, I had to increase the effluent until the nitrates coming out of the reactor read 1. Then I had to lower the effluent until the nitrates coming out of the reactor went back down to zero. Did you follow the instructions that came with your unit? You need to seed the denitrator before you start seeing a reduction in nitrates in your tank.

mmotown
07/31/2009, 01:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15450216#post15450216 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cmart28
You need to remove both Vlamingi Tangs a 150 is not large enough for one, let alone two. Removing those two and you are stocked fine, you could even add a few more fish.

What kind of denitrator did you get? I know with mine, I had to increase the effluent until the nitrates coming out of the reactor read 1. Then I had to lower the effluent until the nitrates coming out of the reactor went back down to zero. Did you follow the instructions that came with your unit? You need to seed the denitrator before you start seeing a reduction in nitrates in your tank.

It's been running for about two months. Even though my tangs aren't big you are saying they are the cause. I know full grown a 150 is too small but right now for their size that 150 is like 500 gal to them. Just trying to understand...

mr. pluto
07/31/2009, 02:10 PM
I used to use one & if the effluent was 0ppm & i have nitrate in the tank i would bump the drip rate a bit more till i tested @ 1ppm. btw how much media are you using?

mmotown
07/31/2009, 02:35 PM
I follwed the instructions and I am using all of it. I guess from memory 2/3 media and 1/3 rx media. So I need to bump my SD effluent to 1 and leave it there or what? thx

mr. pluto
07/31/2009, 02:45 PM
till it reads 0 again or start to smell like rotten eggs & repeat process.
which unit is this btw?

mmotown
07/31/2009, 03:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15451027#post15451027 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mr. pluto
which unit is this btw?

Did that process but will do it again. Midwest

mmotown
07/31/2009, 03:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15451027#post15451027 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mr. pluto
which unit is this btw?

Whenever I smell the rotten egg, I increase the flow until it goes away. When it goes away do I just leave it there if it's still reading 0? Pluto could you give me a quick call? 817-707-6315 thx

DarG
07/31/2009, 03:26 PM
mmotown ... You stated that 5 was deadly ... are you assuming that 5 mg/l nitrate is deadly?

mmotown
07/31/2009, 04:46 PM
If I am not mistaken on the Elos color chart 5 wasn't in the safe zone. I normally use Salifert but just tried Elos. On my last reading I was at 2.5. Sorry I can't be clearer right now. I am not at home.

DarG
07/31/2009, 06:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15451697#post15451697 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mmotown
If I am not mistaken on the Elos color chart 5 wasn't in the safe zone. I normally use Salifert but just tried Elos. On my last reading I was at 2.5. Sorry I can't be clearer right now. I am not at home.

I have an elos and salifert kit. On my elos kit, the lowest measurable reading is 5 mg/l. It's often suggested that nitrates be kept below 10 mg/l in a reef although there are certianly reefers with tanks having higher nitrates than that. And zero nitrates would be ideal but 5 mg/l certianly isnt deadly. There are reefers who have battled nitrates far above the 10 mg/l point in their reef tanks. Keep working on adjusting the Midwest Sulphur Denitrator but while you are working on it, dont freak out about your 2.5 mg/l reading and dont worry about 5 mg/l being deadly.

mmotown
07/31/2009, 09:16 PM
You're right in the reading of the chart ( I am at home now). The reason it's a concern for me because right now I am having to get rid of my tangs that I am not ready to get rid of but I am starting to fill my tank with SPS frags and I don't want to lose anything.

DarG
08/01/2009, 07:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15453014#post15453014 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mmotown
You're right in the reading of the chart ( I am at home now). The reason it's a concern for me because right now I am having to get rid of my tangs that I am not ready to get rid of but I am starting to fill my tank with SPS frags and I don't want to lose anything.

I understand. But dont freak out about the 2.5 mg/l or it going up a little bit. You're ok. The Midwest will work, keep tweaking it and you'll get a hold of things, but you are fine. 5 mg/l is not deadly if you should hit that level before the Midwest is fully doing its job. Relax a little, take it in stride, your not in trouble, and 5 mg/l isnt "deadly". And remember, water changes drop nitrates proportionately so if trates jump up some, do some more frequent partial water changes. But again, you are more than ok.

mmotown
08/01/2009, 12:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15454283#post15454283 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DarG
I understand. But dont freak out about the 2.5 mg/l or it going up a little bit. You're ok. The Midwest will work, keep tweaking it and you'll get a hold of things, but you are fine. 5 mg/l is not deadly if you should hit that level before the Midwest is fully doing its job. Relax a little, take it in stride, your not in trouble, and 5 mg/l isnt "deadly". And remember, water changes drop nitrates proportionately so if trates jump up some, do some more frequent partial water changes. But again, you are more than ok.

if you were running for office, I would vote for you. I am completely at ease now. To think i put my fish up for sale when i know they will eventually out grow my tank but to me they have plenty room right now. i was doing wc every two weeks. i will start doing them weekly now. So in my case what is an acceptable level with my bio load? Also thx for everybody's input :)

DarG
08/01/2009, 06:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15455330#post15455330 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mmotown
if you were running for office, I would vote for you. I am completely at ease now. To think i put my fish up for sale when i know they will eventually out grow my tank but to me they have plenty room right now. i was doing wc every two weeks. i will start doing them weekly now. So in my case what is an acceptable level with my bio load? Also thx for everybody's input :)

Maybe I should run for office, how much worse could I be :D

Youre fine. You dont even have to increase your water changes.
With the sulphur de-nitrater, I would be shooting for zero. I mean, you bought the thing and thats what it's supposed to do. I dont own one but have heard plenty of stories about users having to reset the drip rates and taking a while to get them dialed in. So I think you are doing fine with it. But they can take some time to cycle and also for you to dial them in. In the meantime, your 2.5 mg/l is great. Again, if it creeps up a little, dont fret. Do a water change if you are really worried about it. But I really thing that once the Midwest is running consistently for a little while, you will be down to zip.