PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbate) dosing

Atomikk
07/31/2009, 06:07 PM
Please delete this or move this thread to the archives immediately if this has been talked about before.

Since there is some positive results in dosing sodium ascorbate, I wonder if anyone has thought of automatically dosing it to their system?

If you use the given formula of (using the iHerb product):

1/4 tsp=1112 mg.

For every 100 gallons:

5 ppm —– 1892 mg VC
10 ppm —- 3785 mg VC
15 ppm —- 5677 mg VC
20 ppm —- 7570 mg VC
25 ppm —- 9462 mg VC
30 ppm —- 11355 mg VC

How would you calculate the amount of liquid that is needed to dose to maintain, say, 5ppm in a 100 gallon tank?

Maybe we can get some sort of a guide for those who want to automate this for themselves.

Genetics
07/31/2009, 07:03 PM
Atom, liquid forms do exist and it should be easy to figure out. First you need to find the max volume of VC that would dissolve in solution. Wikipedia has it listed for water I believe. Then make sure the solution you make is under that amount. Next find a dosed that will dose the ppm you want in your tank.

I will suggest that you don't use as much as what is listed in that chart. Those numbers are for treatment of fish and have made the way over to reef systems. There are ppl tha can dose that amount but others it will cause issues.

Atomikk
07/31/2009, 07:19 PM
I currently use about 2tsp per day in my 600 gallons of saltwater. So I am on the low side of things, and haven't seen any negative effects. The dosing part is easy if you have a dosing pump and a controller (or a self controlled pump).

I was just wondering on the measurement of SA that dissolves in solution. I guess you would take that amount and figure out the ratio between the amount dissolved to the amount you need. Then that would determine how much of liquid to dose per day.

Mattdren15
08/01/2009, 09:29 AM
I just go with the recomended dosing. Probable half a TSP every other day is what I do in my 55 gallon tank. I have yet to see if this hurts or helps my tank but I havnt had a fish die and quite a while

Whisperer
08/01/2009, 10:37 AM
Not sure but AFIK, ascorbic acid is very labile molecule and is easily degraded by UV light.

Atomikk
08/02/2009, 09:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15454985#post15454985 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Whisperer
Not sure but AFIK, ascorbic acid is very labile molecule and is easily degraded by UV light.

Could anyone confirm this?

Jeff
08/02/2009, 09:36 AM
It's true. It only lasts for a short time when exposed to light or water when using pure sodium ascorbate.
There is a 100+ thread about it: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1602494&perpage=25&pagenumber=7

Genetics
08/02/2009, 11:02 AM
Jeff doesn't SA oxidize when in the presence of water? No one has demonstrated the oxidized version is any less effective for our aquariums. Also, don't manufactures sell SA in solution?

Pufferpunk
02/04/2010, 05:49 PM
I know this is an old thread but I was just doing a search on VC threads here. Products are also sold, claiming to contain: "live bacteria in a bottle" & we all know live nitrifying bacteria can't stay viable without ammonia to feed it & air. Yet Nutrifin Cycle & other garbage in a bottle products are sold by the thousands every year!