PDA

View Full Version : Calcium 500 ppm

Meyeronfire!
07/31/2009, 06:42 PM
Just checked my params. Im a little worried about the cal. I know its a little to high. Anything I should do. Here the complete params.

pH........8.1
Nitrite...0
Nitrate..0
Phos.....0
Alk.........8.4 DKH
Cal........500
Mag.......1300
Sg..........1.025

kkdoughboy
07/31/2009, 07:18 PM
I'm interested too. My calcium is at 650 and is always high! Anybody out there with any opinions for us?

tmz
07/31/2009, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't consider 500ppm high. I run mine at 540ppm. Looks quite good with your other numbers. Certain salt mixes may contain high calcium levels,check the thread atthe top of this forum for detais on various salt mix contents.

650 ppm is high but without the other parameters and more information it is hard to offer an opinion . It is unlikely to be harmful though if your alkalinity is ok.

Meyeronfire!
07/31/2009, 09:53 PM
ok thank tmz. I think it is my salt. I just recently switched from instant ocean to red sea coral pro. Its an awesome salt by the way!

NeveroddoreveN
08/01/2009, 07:40 AM
Your mag seems a little low for 500 CA. It should be about 3.00-3.25x your calcium. For you that means 1500-1625. I don't know if this is an outdated school of thought or if it even applies if your cal is that high. Just a thought...

tmz
08/01/2009, 08:10 AM
There is no need to manage magnesium beyond 1285ppm which is nsw. There is no 3 to 1 rule as long as calcium mannesium and alkalinity are maintained within the acceptable range for each you should be fine.

crazymnkeyman77
09/05/2015, 11:25 AM
Same my calcium is at 500 anf my magnesium is at about 1600. Im worried!! My alkalinity is also at 14

shifty51008
09/05/2015, 11:41 AM
Same my calcium is at 500 anf my magnesium is at about 1600. Im worried!! My alkalinity is also at 14

are you doseing anything to the tank?

crazymnkeyman77
09/05/2015, 04:41 PM
are you doseing anything to the tank?

No im not dosing anything.. I wonder if my results are just wrong or something like that? Or is this normal?

Reefvet
09/05/2015, 04:54 PM
I wonder if my results are just wrong or something like that? Or is this normal?

None of the posters in this thread have said what test kits they're using.

The margin of error on most hobbyist level test kit's is +/- 20%. Then there's the human error factor which can easily contribute. I've been in this hobby for 40 years and I make mistakes with test kits. Double checking your method is the first thing you want to do.

Checking your numbers against another test kit is the second step to verifying you're getting a valid value.

bertoni
09/05/2015, 08:56 PM
I agree that the magnesium level is fine. I think the calcium level is fine, too. Lots of salts come out of the package at that level. The accuracy of hobbyist test kits is always an issue, although 20% seems rather large. The Salifert magnesium kit was supposedly about ± 8 ppm or so in the reasonable range, and I seemed to be able to reach that limit if I was careful. In any case, I would leave well enough alone. Are any animals having trouble?

tmz
09/06/2015, 11:06 AM
I think the alk is high at 14 dkh assuming an accurate test. A salt mix with less will help.

The magnesium at 1600 is high but harmless at that level; it will come down slowly overtime especially if you use a salt mix with less of it.

FWIW, my system at 1.026 sg runs at dkh around 9 per Salifert and hanah checker; magnesium is now around 1450ppm per Salifert with calcium around 450 per Salifert.

bertoni
09/06/2015, 07:24 PM
Okay, there are two people posting in this thread, which I missed. I agree that 1600 ppm magnesium and 14 dKH are on the high side. I'd probably double-check the test kits, and work from there.

tmz
09/06/2015, 08:29 PM
Confusing when two posters play in ; especially, on a 6 year old thread. I thought you were probably responding to the OP's nos.

crazymnkeyman77
09/07/2015, 06:31 PM
None of the posters in this thread have said what test kits they're using.

The margin of error on most hobbyist level test kit's is +/- 20%. Then there's the human error factor which can easily contribute. I've been in this hobby for 40 years and I make mistakes with test kits. Double checking your method is the first thing you want to do.

Checking your numbers against another test kit is the second step to verifying you're getting a valid value.

I agree that the magnesium level is fine. I think the calcium level is fine, too. Lots of salts come out of the package at that level. The accuracy of hobbyist test kits is always an issue, although 20% seems rather large. The Salifert magnesium kit was supposedly about ± 8 ppm or so in the reasonable range, and I seemed to be able to reach that limit if I was careful. In any case, I would leave well enough alone. Are any animals having trouble?

I think the alk is high at 14 dkh assuming an accurate test. A salt mix with less will help.

The magnesium at 1600 is high but harmless at that level; it will come down slowly overtime especially if you use a salt mix with less of it.

FWIW, my system at 1.026 sg runs at dkh around 9 per Salifert and hanah checker; magnesium is now around 1450ppm per Salifert with calcium around 450 per Salifert.

Okay, there are two people posting in this thread, which I missed. I agree that 1600 ppm magnesium and 14 dKH are on the high side. I'd probably double-check the test kits, and work from there.

Confusing when two posters play in ; especially, on a 6 year old thread. I thought you were probably responding to the OP's nos.

Im sorry about the confusion.. Ill recheck my parameters with my test kit. I use the Red Sea Pro kit. What salt should I change to then? Iam currently using Red sea salt.

tmz
09/08/2015, 10:37 AM
If the slat you are using is high in magensium and alk,you'll have to check a few salts to find one with lower alk and magnesium specs. Manufacaturer's change their formulas from time to time . There are a number of threads on salt mixes you can browse.