PDA

View Full Version : Lost my Flame Angel this morning:(

slider162
08/01/2009, 08:24 AM
I have a 150G display with a 30G sump. Probably 150G total with sand and rock. My stock is as follows:

2 Clowns in anemone
1 Foxface Lo (medium size)
1 Regal Tang (medium size)
1 Flame Angel (3" maybe)
2 Cleaner Shrimp
2 Pepermint Shrimp
Bunch of snails.
A few corals and richordia.

Temp was 73F when I got up. Normally 78F or better.
PH was 7.87, normally 8.0 or better.

Sometime last night the GFCI tripped. I'm not sure when and I can't say if the tank was running when I went to bed last night at 2am. So lets say the tank was without power for 12 hours (worst case).

It looks like everything else is going to pull through. But my flame didn't make it. They ship these fish all the time. My stock is hardly borderline too much. What killed my flame? Temp or oxygen?

I have an airstone now and will monitor closely throughout the day.

Thanks

slider162
08/03/2009, 09:34 AM
Everyone else is fine. Corals, shrimp, all other fish. I did a 40G water change yesterday just for the heck of it and hooked up a battery backup to the return pump. At least the UPS will beep if the GFCI trips again. No idea why it tripped to begin with. Everything has been plugged back in for two days now. Are Flame Angels that sensitive?

sedor
08/03/2009, 10:00 AM
I have only owned one flame angel and he lasted about a week. That was when I was quite new to the hobby so it could have been my ignorance, but I have since found most angels to be somewhat fickle. In fact, a bi-color angel is the only fish I lost when I upgraded my tank a few months back.

On a side note it sucks your GFCI tripped and caused a problem, but you probably saved your house from burning down.

romsoccer12
08/03/2009, 12:36 PM
srry about your loss. ryan makes a good point, at least your house isnt burnt to the ground. funny the gfci killed your "flame" angel

slider162
08/03/2009, 12:51 PM
We had her for over two years. Never a problem. I switched to the 150 a month ago and she took it well. Always active and eating.

The thing that gets me is, everything is still plugged in and still running. It hasn't tripped again in the last two days. Everything is relatively new and of decent quality. No coralife timer strips here. I have had them trip in the past just starting and stopping return pumps when doing water changes. I have most everything plugged into the surge protection sockets of the UPS and the return pump on battery backup now. I'm going to run some other tests this week. I also have an old laptop sitting in the closet that isn't being used. I am going to leave it plugged into the UPS so that I at least get an email if I am not home. If I am home, I will hear the beeping. Not sure what else I can do.

I have the quarantine tank set up and letting the wife pick out the next one. I also want to get a Mandarin and a goby. So I see some new fish in the near future. Still mad at myself for not noticing it though.

wooden_reefer
08/03/2009, 05:21 PM
May be from now on a light close to you where you most likely be should be connected to the GFI. It should be on all the time.

A normally open relay connected to an audio alarm would do as well.

nmbeg
08/04/2009, 12:35 AM
i have similar problems with power-trips. it's from salt creep. I have high flow in my sump and lots of spray. everything in my fish room is salty, and the salt gets into the power strips too. I replace the powerstrips often.