PDA

View Full Version : Why cant these ppl take the bulb out?

coral_lagoon
08/01/2009, 02:09 PM
I cant believe this. Now I have to return the whole unit back to Marine Depot because the loose broken bulb bouncing around scratched the reflector..:mad2:

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr197/rapid25_2008/IMG_0580.jpg

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr197/rapid25_2008/IMG_0579.jpg

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr197/rapid25_2008/IMG_0581.jpg

Toddrtrex
08/01/2009, 02:13 PM
Maybe it is just my eyes, but I don't see any scratches. Both my SunPod and Outer Orbit where shipped like that, and didn't have any issues at all.

coral_lagoon
08/01/2009, 02:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15455735#post15455735 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
Maybe it is just my eyes, but I don't see any scratches. Both my SunPod and Outer Orbit where shipped like that, and didn't have any issues at all.

You cant see the scratches in the picture..

Toddrtrex
08/01/2009, 02:17 PM
Not a one, if you are talking about the "hammertone" finish to the reflector, that is how they come. Both of my Current unit have that finish, and so does my older Hamilton fixture,

Here is a picture of my Hamilton fixture, the finish is slightly different, but pretty much the same,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Ushio.jpg

coral_lagoon
08/01/2009, 02:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15455753#post15455753 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
Not a one, if you are talking about the "hammertone" finish to the reflector, that is how they come. Both of my Current unit have that finish, and so does my older Hamilton fixture,

Here is a picture of my Hamilton fixture, the finish is slightly different, but pretty much the same,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Ushio.jpg

Theirs two long sratches on the left and right side of the reflector. The smooth mirror sides..

Mercer
08/01/2009, 02:19 PM
I feel your pain. I've had a few units shipped with the bulbs installed. Every time one has broken usually resulting in a few weeks waiting for a replacement. All the bulbs shipped separately have had no problem. Figures.

jbird69
08/01/2009, 02:21 PM
I cant see any scratches either. I think if the bulb bounced around enough to scratch the reflector, the bulb would break.

Toddrtrex
08/01/2009, 02:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15455759#post15455759 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coral_lagoon
Theirs two long sratches on the left and right side of the reflector. The smooth mirror sides..

Honestly I can't see them. Could you maybe circle the scratches? (( use "paint" for it )) From what I can see, it wouldn't be worth the hassle of shipping it back. Plus, those units are discoed, so you might not be able to get another one.

coral_lagoon
08/01/2009, 02:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15455767#post15455767 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jbird69
I cant see any scratches either. I think if the bulb bounced around enough to scratch the reflector, the bulb would break.

You cant see the scratches in the pictures. Again the scratches are on the left and right side of the smooth mirror sides. With that said, the 250watt bulbs have very sharp edges on the contacts..

coral_lagoon
08/01/2009, 02:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15455772#post15455772 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
Honestly I can't see them. Could you maybe circle the scratches? (( use "paint" for it )) From what I can see, it wouldn't be worth the hassle of shipping it back. Plus, those units are discoed, so you might not be able to get another one.

Im looking into getting a Hamilton system. Just waiting on some feedbacks on my other thread..

Shane Hoffman
08/01/2009, 02:25 PM
A couple scratches isnt going to negatively affect your light output....There is no way I would wait the time onvolved to return a working fixture because the reflector has a couple scratches in it.........

coral_lagoon
08/01/2009, 02:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15455761#post15455761 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mercer
I feel your pain. I've had a few units shipped with the bulbs installed. Every time one has broken usually resulting in a few weeks waiting for a replacement. All the bulbs shipped separately have had no problem. Figures.

Thanks..

I just dont understand why they cant pack the bulb seperately in a box. Just a little twist, knock from shipping will snap the end of the bulb..

sedor
08/01/2009, 02:32 PM
Probably because they put the bulbs in to test the units and are to lazy to take them back out and repackage. God bless corporations lol :)

Tadashi
08/01/2009, 02:45 PM
I had the same thing happen. However, the retailer I got it from is just sending me a replacement bulb. The scratches were not an issue for me. Their effect is negligible.

The double end bulbs are exposed to torsion during shipping breaking it. I sent a comment to their customer service that they should take the bulb out wrap it in bubble wrap and put it back in the lens chamber diagonally. This will protect it from the other components without torsion stresses while plugged in.

They said they would consider it. They stated that they have shipped both bulb in and out (I assume in a box with the other components) and still experienced high breakage. The transformers and ballasts are too big and heavy for the bulb to be outside the lens chamber.

Their website said this line of lights have been discontinued. Probably for this reason. Too bad these are pretty good lights. I think they are too used to shipping the old single socket MH bulbs which it is better to have it plugged in.

scapes
08/01/2009, 03:55 PM
i'm with todd on this one. i don't see anything---i'm not saying they're not there, i just don't see anything.

i would understand your frustration, but what effects would a few scratches on the reflector cause?

i wouldn't go through the hassle of shipping back either. i would just call them and say "how about knocking a few bucks off?"

rgrobe
08/01/2009, 04:46 PM
I understand your frustration. When you order something on-line, pay for shipping, and patiently wait it is a let down when it arrives damaged. In this case, since the scratches are not deep enough to see in the pictures, I doubt that there will be any less refraction as a result. I would not go to the hassle of shipping it back for a few scratches. I would ask for a few dollars off as suggested by scapes. I would also ask for a replacement bulb since that one bounced around during shipment. Marine Depot usually has decent customer service.

Ritten
08/01/2009, 05:04 PM
I'd be very frustrated for what we pay for our stuff, you don't want it scratched right off the bat. Having said that, I wouldn't want to return it either, too much hassle.

coral_lagoon
08/01/2009, 05:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15455881#post15455881 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tadashi

Their website said this line of lights have been discontinued. Probably for this reason. Too bad these are pretty good lights. I think they are too used to shipping the old single socket MH bulbs which it is better to have it plugged in.

That is a shame, and stupid on their behalf if that is the real reason why they are discontinueing this system. Its a real simple, common sense fix. With that said, Im surprised that the vendors arent doing this themselves. If I was selling these lights. I would open the box and remove that HQI bulb set it aside before shipping it out to my valued customers..

luther1200
08/01/2009, 06:43 PM
I would tell them to send me a new reflector and bulb.

coral_lagoon
08/01/2009, 09:56 PM
On this unit. Can someone tell me if the fans on the ballast are noisy? I ask because I saw some reviews where people were complaining how loud the fans were. Thanks..:beer:

Mercer
08/01/2009, 10:02 PM
I recall mine having a built-in ballast(?) The fans were definitely audible.

wrott
08/01/2009, 10:44 PM
What brand of "unit" is it. I really can't tell from the pix.
And I definitely would not worry about a scratch on a reflector.
You say 12yrs experience in your sig., how many reflectors have you gone through w/ out a scratch? The bulb is probably worth more than the entire fixture.
If it works, use it.

hillscp
08/01/2009, 10:54 PM
I got the 72" 150W from MarineAndReef about 4 weeks ago. They shipped the bulbs and timer in a separate box. The bulbs were wrapped in bubble wrap. I could tell they had opened the box and cut the plastic that covers the lights to take out the bulbs.

As for the fans, it has three and they are barely audible.

HTH

davocean
08/01/2009, 11:01 PM
I'm gonna guess that if bulbs were packaged seperately, there'd be people complaining about that too.
Seems to make sense to me to ship installed.
From what I've heard, broken bulbs are not reason for HQI discontinue, in fact they rarely get broken HQI's.
T5's do break more often, and those aren't discontinued.
For the number of fixtures shipped from China, and then going through our mail/fed ex/ups whatever, how can you not expect some to come broken?

coral_lagoon
08/01/2009, 11:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15457967#post15457967 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wrott
What brand of "unit" is it. I really can't tell from the pix.
And I definitely would not worry about a scratch on a reflector.
You say 12yrs experience in your sig., how many reflectors have you gone through w/ out a scratch? The bulb is probably worth more than the entire fixture.
If it works, use it.

Out of the 12 years. This is the 2nd time I used a MH HQI system. In the past I have used the screw on type MH bulbs. Which most of the time the bulbs are not included with the system..

lougotzz
08/01/2009, 11:04 PM
I had the same fixture, and I had the same problem. You dont have to return the whole unit. Just send them a photo of the broken bulb, and they will mail you a new one free of charge.