PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Pyramid Butterflyfish

IFbettas
08/01/2009, 06:00 PM
Hello. I'm going to be placing an online order sometime soon and what I am wanting to order is 1 or 2 yellow pyramids and 1 powder blue tang. They will be going into my 180 gallon reef which currently has a few small fish, a yellow tang, and a sailfin tang. What I'm wondering is can I keep both the butterflies and the tang in the same 55 gallon quarantine tank? I'm planning on treating the butterflies with Prazipro to make sure there are no flukes going into my DT. Does anyone think it would be better to order only one butterfly, or would they appreciate having a "friend" in the big tank with them? Would getting two help them acclimate to the reef? Thanks.

NexDog
08/01/2009, 07:52 PM
I have a 50g QT and would have no qualms about QTing those 3 fish together. Get the 2 butterflies - I would. I like to try and add pairs where possible.

rendogg
08/01/2009, 11:12 PM
Add the butterflies first and give them time to get settled before adding the Powder Blue. Powder Blues are beautiful but can be relentless. Good idea on the Prazipro, butterflies almost always have flukes.

IFbettas
08/01/2009, 11:21 PM
I ordered the 3 fish tonight, so I should be getting them on Tuesday assuming they ship out Monday. rendogg, when you say add the butterflies first do you mean to the display or to the QT? I could add them to the display first, but then the 2 tangs who are in there might harass them instead of the powder blue. My thoughts are that if I add the powder blue w/ the butterflies to the display that the existing tangs will go after the powder blue and leave the butterflies alone... or so I hope.

As far as the Prazipro goes I know it is necessary with the butterflies. I got flukes in my display tank before through some anthias and it wasn't fun.

rendogg
08/01/2009, 11:32 PM
Good question. I guess if you're getting all 3 at the same time, might as well add them to the display at the same time. The PBT will probably not be so aggressive until it gets comfortable and by that time the Pyramids should be settled. You'll find out in quarantine what will work best, you might have to partition the QT if the PBT starts acting up. It should be OK.... just in case have a partition handy.

IFbettas
08/01/2009, 11:46 PM
Sure, that makes sense. I'll go get one of those plastic aquarium dividers from petsmart if it is necessary. I'm not too worried about the powder blue, but rather the established tangs. They seem to be pretty docile, but you never know what will set them off. Thanks for the help!