PDA

View Full Version : Seachem Stability and testing

Aquarist007
08/01/2009, 09:35 PM
I had problems with temp fluctuations in a 24 gal nanocube
A coral died overnight and took out a coral banded shrimp and a good size anemone. Since I only had 5 gal of salt water in the car I changed that out of the tank and then added seachem stability.
Seachem stability has been very effective for me in establishing biolife in fresh water tanks/canister filters and I was told it should be equally effective in salt water---however I still realize that the water change is the best and swiftest measure to take---I just didn't have the nsw with me.
Later that day I did another 50 per cent water change and today another 50 per cent change.

However the chemical tests for ammonia and nitrates still read very high--so high that I would assumed that tank fully crashed by now. I was told by a supplier that the stabilizer locks the ammonia and nitrate in solution so it is no longer harmfull to the fish corals and inverts but it still gives high reading on the test kits
Is this correct information?
If so how long till I get a lower reading of ammonia and nitrates

Billybeau1
08/02/2009, 06:24 AM
Some test kits will give false readings when using these products.

I would continue with water changes and quit relying on these so called miracle products until your tank cycles again.

Aquarist007
08/02/2009, 07:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15458517#post15458517 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
Some test kits will give false readings when using these products.

I would continue with water changes and quit relying on these so called miracle products until your tank cycles again.

thanks Billy
Yes, my first response to high ammonia readings is the water change.
I am curious though why after changing out over 30 gal of water in a 24 gal cube the tested ammonia and nitrate levels remain unchanged---super high. I have never had this situation before where doing a 50 percent water change doesn't budge the level of ammonia in a tank. This is why I started questioning the test kit results
At the same time there are hermits, leather corals ,polyps and a brain coral in there all doing fine.
To check the kit itself I used it on three of my tanks at home and it came out zero for nitrates and ammonia
Really puzzling this one:confused:

Billybeau1
08/02/2009, 10:47 AM
Is that the only tank you used the Seachem on ?

Aquarist007
08/02/2009, 10:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15459471#post15459471 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
Is that the only tank you used the Seachem on ?

clarity---I was using Seachem Prime on that tank not Stability

I only use prime and stability for water changes and canister filter changes on my fresh water tanks. The stability to dechlorinate tap water and the prime to reestabish the bacteria bed in the changed filter media.

For salt water----water changes or cycling the old fashion way--live rock--3-4 weeks left alone. :)

bidny
08/04/2009, 03:18 PM
Just wanted to clarify...

Prime detoxifies ammonia. Stability adds bacteria.

Many test kits will still show ammonia after using Prime. Check the Prime info and FAQ on Seachem's site for more details.

Aquarist007
08/04/2009, 04:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15472907#post15472907 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bidny
Just wanted to clarify...

Prime detoxifies ammonia. Stability adds bacteria.

Many test kits will still show ammonia after using Prime. Check the Prime info and FAQ on Seachem's site for more details.

thanks bidny---yes I figured that one out.
After 50 per cent water changes 5 days in a row and adding post prime and stability I found the problem with the high ammmonia each day was someone was pouring fish flakes into the tank and who knows what else.
Since this tank was put into the lobby of a busy restaurant I have to find a way to lock that lid on the biocube;)
Its amazing in this hobby that sometimes the answer to a problem is so basic and simple that it alludes you