PDA

View Full Version : Picture of new LTA and also have question...

fasteddie99
08/02/2009, 09:55 AM
My question is...Do I have to place the LTA in the sand? I read that they prefer to anchor their foot into the sand but I tried holding him on the sandbed when I first introduced it into the tank, but the current would just blow it around and upside down before he could get his foot planted. So I held him against base rock and within 30 seconds he was firmly attatched.

Its been almost 24 hours and he hasnt moved which tells me that hes happy where hes at, but he has no sand where he is. Will this ever be a problem?

Ok, here is a pic, I couldnt pass it up. The nem is about 5" or so in diameter and has beautiful colors. I got him for $26:)

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu209/fasteddie99/IMG_6213.jpg

davocean
08/02/2009, 10:33 AM
I'd leave it be if it attached.
It will most likely move down to sand bed as long as light is good.
Looks nice, real similar to a pink I paid $120 for.

fasteddie99
08/02/2009, 11:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15459421#post15459421 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by davocean
I'd leave it be if it attached.
It will most likely move down to sand bed as long as light is good.
Looks nice, real similar to a pink I paid $120 for.

Thanks...As soon as I posted this thread, I walked by the tank and noticed he was almost completely loose from the rock, so I dug out a nice little hole in the sand and plopped him in it. Hopefully it will like it there. I also have a BTA that attatched itsself immediately when I brought it home, but this LTA doesnt seem to want to attatch. The LFS owner said the he hadn't settled down since he got him in, but the other 2 BTA's that were in the same tank were glued to the glass. I initially blamed this on the lack of flow in the tank at the LFS. It was a very mild flow.

I will post an update later on today, hopefully he will still be in the same spot instead of floating around the tank.:o

Eddie

davocean
08/02/2009, 11:07 AM
LTA's are on the sensitive side, moderate flow/light is best IMO.
It's true they prefer sand, so I'd tuck it between a couple rocks to help stabilize it till it attaches.
If it has probs attaching, there could be damage to foot, and that can be a serious problem.
Keep eye on it, and leave it be as much as possible.
I wouldn't even rush on feeding it except maybe a little mysis.

OrionN
08/02/2009, 01:52 PM
I would put him in the sand and put a small smooth rock on top of the column. This keep the anemone from blowing around and he can dig down into the sand. I do this for all my sand dwelling anemones

fasteddie99
08/02/2009, 03:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15460191#post15460191 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OrionN
I would put him in the sand and put a small smooth rock on top of the column. This keep the anemone from blowing around and he can dig down into the sand. I do this for all my sand dwelling anemones

I tried something that might have worked. I pushed the sand away down to the bottom of the tank to expose the glass. I gently held him there for a few minutes and it seemed to work so far. Its been in the same position for about 3 hours now. We shall see. :)