PDA

View Full Version : can't get rid of ammonia.

langtudatinh01
08/02/2009, 09:36 PM
hi everyone,

i have a nano tank (30 gallons). this was an old tank that i received from a friend. the tank came with all the rocks, one clownfish and some corals. i was succesful to relocate the tank to my place, and since then i added a 3" new sandbed, one more clownfish and one sixline wrasse. i have been follow my water quality very closely.

the recent reading as of Aug 02,2009:
PH: 8.4
Alk: 1.7-2.8
ammonia: .025
nitrite: .05
nitrate: 0
calcium: around 400.

i did water change but my ammonia is still the same. i could detect any nitrate. the rocks are also cover with a lot of turf algae and macro algae as well. Can someone explain to me why the ammonia is still exist and no Nitrate found. i have the tank for more than 2 weeks now. thanks.

badwrasse
08/02/2009, 09:48 PM
did you do all of this at one time?
sounds like its going to cycle and if so ammonia and nitrates wont be present at the same time

langtudatinh01
08/02/2009, 10:01 PM
i moved all the existing stuffs all together. i only added 2 fish after 2 weeks. all of the corals are doing fine. the star polys are spreading quickly. but i do have a lot of existing algaes came with the rock, that may be the reason i could not detect nitrate.

badwrasse
08/02/2009, 10:05 PM
I would say double check your test first and formost what brand and how old is it

did you do the sand and both fish @ the same time? two fish is alot to add at once in a tank this small

langtudatinh01
08/02/2009, 10:11 PM
well, i use a red sea test kit (brand new). I added the clownfish first almost a week before the wrasse.

badwrasse
08/02/2009, 10:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15462652#post15462652 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by langtudatinh01
well, i use a red sea test kit (brand new). I added the clownfish first almost a week before the wrasse.

thats still close together IMO but not likly the cause
did you remove the sand and replace it all at once.
and just because you just bought the test don't rule it out yet

langtudatinh01
08/02/2009, 10:22 PM
yeah, i replace all the sandbed because i want to have white powder sand. that could be the cause of ammonia

badwrasse
08/02/2009, 10:32 PM
yep in combo with adding fish to quik. you should replace sand a little at a time. did you replace the sand the same time you added any fish? or did you replace when you moved the tank.

langtudatinh01
08/02/2009, 10:33 PM
i replace the sandbed 2 weeks prior to the fish arrival.

badwrasse
08/02/2009, 10:45 PM
did you run tests during all of this. how long ago did you move the take

langtudatinh01
08/02/2009, 10:55 PM
i have been testing the tank from beginning and twice a week since. i moved the tank 3 weeks ago

badwrasse
08/02/2009, 11:06 PM
when did ammonia show up? and how big of water changes are you doing?when did you add your last fish?

nmbeg
08/02/2009, 11:09 PM
Here's my guess:

you moved a tank -- this causes a "disturbance in the force," release of lots of detritus, and a re-cycle.

you replaced the sand -- this means that all the beneficial bacteria that were on the sand are now gone, so even with the one clownfish only, there would be a re-cycle as the new sand picks up bacteria.

you added two fish, somewhat apart -- each fish you adds causes a "disturbance in the force," and a re-cycle as the bacteria pick up the pace to keep up with the new bioload. You might not notice it in a 125 gallon tank, but you will in a 30.

My suggestion - keep doing what you're doing in terms in maintainence, data checking. Hold back on any further additions. Each re-cycle may take several weeks, and you've done like 3 re-cycles in less than a month. But overall I think you'll be fine.

Patience, young padowan. nothing good in this hobby happens quickly. And welcome.

badwrasse
08/03/2009, 08:49 AM
what nmbeg said is true, but what I dont understand is your timeline, it really doesnt add up and if you have been checking you levels why would you add a fish if you knew ammonia was high?

Alaska_Phil
08/07/2009, 12:24 PM
I doubt very much that it's cycling since we kept the live rock submerged the whole time during the move. I'm betting your test kit is a little off, I've never been very fond of the Red Sea test kits, they're not very precise. I prefer the Salifert test kits.

Phil

JLAURIA751
08/07/2009, 01:10 PM
Its probally a cycle your coral should be fine they deal with ammonia and nitrite better than fish if your fish are doing bad see if your LFS will hold them for you.

JLAURIA751
08/07/2009, 01:12 PM
I accidently killed alot of the benefical bacteria with a red slime treatment and my nitrites spiked, the tank balanced itself out if 3-4 days, almost killed my clown fish

langtudatinh01
08/07/2009, 02:00 PM
yeah, it has been 4 weeks. all the fish are doing fine (get more chubby). all the corals are out nice and growing. maybe because of the test kit, all the parameter i have are either nothing or next to nothing. i have about 4" sandbed for a 30 gallons tank. is it consider as DSB? thanks.