PDA

View Full Version : Brown Algae taking over...What do I do?

maites
08/03/2009, 06:34 AM
I am just running my first salt tank. All was clear and perfect up until a few days ago. I had to replace my eheim canister filter with a new one (prior 30 yr old on died). A few days after the replacement, my water was all set and good to go for fish. I bought my first 2 fish (clown, porcupine puff). Anyhow, I'm not sure where this algae came from. I may have left the blinds open one day which could have sparked growth (some direct sunlight), or could it be from introducing fish, or the new filter? The crushed coral and fiji live rock is all getting covered by a brown hairy algae. What is the best way to treat this? It appears to be spreading...Can I just take out the rocks and scrub them down then vaccum the crushed coral? I do NOT want to compromise my new fish. Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance.:confused:

Michael
08/03/2009, 06:45 AM
you have diatoms, its very normal for your tank, when your ammonia and nitrite levels are 0 for 2-3 days introduce 6-8 turbo snails, they will help, and it will eventually burn out and disappear anyhow, we all usually get it with new aquaria, can take a month or so to completely disappear, also make sure any water introduced to the tank is pure, this will ensure nothing else starts to appear as well

maites
08/03/2009, 07:02 AM
you think my porcupine puffer will eat those snails up? From what I have read, they wont stand a chance....Although my puff is pretty small

Michael
08/03/2009, 07:09 AM
yeah he will, sorry i forgot about him, well the diatoms will eventually go anyhow, providing you keep the params and water quality in the right place :)

maites
08/04/2009, 09:15 AM
This brown algae is continuing to multiply...its hairy and floating around off the live rock... it is also all over the crushed coral...i should just continue to let it go? Test my water etc?

mullinsd2
08/04/2009, 10:44 AM
You should be testing your water anyways; especially since it seems like you are just setting up your tank. You need to know that the nitrogen cycle has happened. Also, you can just keep the actinics on your tank on for viewing pleasure for a couple of days, or better yet, just don't turn them on if you don't have corals. Also, add a few jumbo turbo snails (they are only like 3 bucks and clean up that stuff REALLY quick) I put three in my 75 gallon, and they literally cleaned up almost all of the rock by their selves. Granted, you do need more cuc, but those three are quick to get rid of any diatoms. If you have a refugium set up, you can add some chaeto in it..... Honestly, I set up my refugium with chaeto and some rubble, put in those three turbos, and within 2 days all of my diatoms were gone.

mm949
08/04/2009, 11:33 AM
if its a new tank >3months..... the diatoms will go away on their own.....best bet is reduce lighting to a few hours till cycling is done

spw4949
08/04/2009, 11:45 AM
I agree with MM, minimal light until otherwise necessary should help. So just a heads up, u will go through algae blooms for awhile possibly, it's all part of the maturation process of your tank. It doesn't mean your not doing things right(although sometimes it can). Definately keep a close eye on your H20 parameters, it will help. What lighting do you have on the tank? Is the bulb old? I saw you were initially using an old canister filter that's why I ask. Older bulbs can add to algae growth.....

badwrasse
08/04/2009, 11:59 AM
I don't think he has diatoms I though diatoms was dusty looking his problem is hairy.

yes test water nomatter what, even more if there is a problem.

how old is your tank?
how much flow do you have? any powerheads?

weekly water changes and lights off for 3 days

FirstContact
08/04/2009, 12:16 PM
Probably a silly question, but are you using RO (Reverse Osmosis) water? It sounds like you're cycling, but using normal tap water will encourage algae growth too.

maites
08/04/2009, 02:55 PM
To begin, the tank has been up and running for at least 2 months. Live rock has been in for about 3 weeks. I am now using a brand new eheim canister filter with 180 gal/hr flow (i am beginning to realize that is not enough after reading up on what everyone else does). I also bought a brand new coral lite fixture with bulbs. It was like $70 new. Since I am not doing any live corals, I was told that is all I needed. I am fairly sure I can NOT use snails bc my porcupine puffer will eat them for breakfast lunch and dinner. Although he has not eaten too much yet (got him last friday). I think part of the problem could be running a new canister filter with new types of substrate etc inside of it (not sure). I have also been lookins into getting a powerhead but I have no clue what size I need?? 54 gal corner. I plan on doing a water change next week, once my fish have settled. I didnt want to rattle them too much their first week in the tank. I appreciate everyone's input on this. Even though I ran fresh water for 15 years or so, I know absolutly nothing about salt...It's like starting all over again with a million new variables. Thanks again for all input

badwrasse
08/04/2009, 03:50 PM
ok first take all pads out of the canister they will collect detritus and you will have nonstop nirtate problems, for flow at least 10X's volume you can go more but thats rule of thumb, so get a pump that will do that or two that will do half of that. Thats alot of your problem is not enough flow and I would bet your nitrates are high an that would be another problem, algae uses nitrates to help it grow and it loves slow flow. Tap water is merical grow for algae if your not using at less RO water you will never get rid of it. The only things the same about salt and fresh is the cycle and add aggressive fish last

maites
08/04/2009, 08:14 PM
ok here's my test results...
Nitrate: between 5-10
Nitrite: 0
PH: 8.4
Ammonia: .25

For flow, I want somewhere around 500 gph? Just buy a powerhead that meets that requirement? Do I need to worry about any of my readings? I know ammonia should be zero and it was before I put the fish in... More input the better. This forum is great!

badwrasse
08/04/2009, 09:01 PM
two power heads are better than one it lessens the chance for dead spot (area's with little or no flow), an do a water change 25-30% and run carbon in your can take out filter pads for ever. soak carbon for a day in RO/DI water befor you use it so it dont leach phosphate AND TEST PHOSPHATE:D

its alot to take in i know but it will work