PDA

View Full Version : Key West - Where is BEST snorkeling spot?

iamwhatiam52
08/03/2009, 04:30 PM
We are going to a family wedding in South Florida in Mid August and are planning a 2 day stop in Key West.
We will be stopping at Pennykamp on the way down, but want to know where to snorkel at or near Key West.

jdhuyvetter
08/04/2009, 07:29 AM
Go out on one of the snorkel boats. Best spots are about 7 miles south of Key West (outer reef). Not a whole lot to see off of the shore in Key West.

One spot I go to from time to time is easy to get to by car. If you go past the NAS (Naval Air Station) heading north from Key West, you will come to a Circle K gas station on the right. Turn right on Boca Chica Rd and follow it to the end. At low tide, there will be some exposed rock about 0.25 miles SW of the end of the road. Swim to those and then head straight out. There are scattered patch reefs. FYI, you definitely must have a dive flag. You will be in 6-8 feet of water and boats do run along the coast. Best spots are about 0.5 miles from shore, so not for the weak swimmer.

iamwhatiam52
08/04/2009, 08:51 AM
I'll try that shore dive!

Anyone have specific information on a particular dive operation to go with, or the name of a reef to take a boat trip to?
My time there will be short, so I want to avoid jumping on some random boat and going to a mediocre spot.

jdhuyvetter
08/04/2009, 09:07 AM
For Pennekamp, just go with one of the companies at Pennekamp Park on Key Largo.

For Sombrero, go out of Marathon.

For Looe, I like Underseas out of Big Pine

For Key West, I alway went on one of the boats out of Mallory Square (behind the hotels on the west end of the dock). Ask if the boat is heading out to Sand Key. Make sure you take a camera. Nice big lighthouse out in the middle of nowhere!!

Most of the head boats will take you to the better reefs.

jdhuyvetter
08/04/2009, 09:07 AM
Oh yeah, some of the Key West boats will take you to 2 or 3 spots on a longer trip. If you have the time, do that!

200mfromocean
08/04/2009, 01:43 PM
There is two shore dive spots one in front of white street pier and another in front of the airport. You want to go when the tide is coming in for best visibility. Thre are many drunk idiots on waverunners and etc so be sure to bring your dive buoy.

The outer rref is probably your best bet.