PDA

View Full Version : bubbles coming from sandbed

t4zalews
08/03/2009, 05:39 PM
my sandbed is producing bubbles and these bubbles then attach to my rocks. they are NOT from the sump, but cover certain patches of sand where there are some diatoms. tank is 3 years old, but only 8 months at the current place. I run rowaphos and carbon, all parameters are stable (alk 8, ca 460, no3 0, po4 0).

Are these bubbles just appearing because the sandbed is not aerated well enough? I have nassarius snails in the sandbed and a melanurus wrasse that divebombs at night. good flow all around the tank (sps).

I don't really want to get a sand sifter goby because I feel as if it would wipe out the pod population for my mandarin.

Any advice?

gooyferret
08/03/2009, 06:56 PM
I would not be to concerned over the bubbles I have had my sand bed do the same thing and only setup for 4 months. I have snails turning the sand and am not concerned.. I think its a natural process to happen, and I swear I have read it somewhere.

greenbean36191
08/04/2009, 07:47 AM
The bubbles are most likely oxygen produced by photosynthesis. The are not a problem in and of themselves, but they are an indication of lots of algae in the sand, whether it's apparent or not.

reefD
08/04/2009, 08:50 AM
yeah its normal.i remember years ago i asked this question and a chemist i know said the nitrification process may cause this in the sand

tydtran
08/04/2009, 02:16 PM
Most likely they are bubbles of nitrogen gas, produced when the beneficial bacteria in your sand bed convert ammonia to nitrogen.

evsalty
08/04/2009, 02:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15470191#post15470191 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by greenbean36191
The bubbles are most likely oxygen produced by photosynthesis. The are not a problem in and of themselves, but they are an indication of lots of algae in the sand, whether it's apparent or not.

Since you (op) mentioned diatoms in the sand where the bubbles are originating then this would be my thought too. Watch for cyno patches in the sand as they will do this big time.

sanchoy
08/04/2009, 04:34 PM
yep... when you see bubbles its a sign to get ready for cyno invasion.