PDA

View Full Version : Are Echinatas very fragile/difficult?

jcgso
08/04/2009, 01:08 PM
On Saturday two friends and I found a new LFS which had a very nice blue Echinata colony. We decided to split it three ways. The LFS owner fragged it for us and the 3 pieces looked pretty good. We all acclimated properly and the next day they looked a bit lighter in color than they were in the store. This morning about 1/2"-1" of the base was bleached and the top part was a pale blue with lots of pink at the tips. I checked with my friends and one piece is in th exact same condition as mine and the other seems to be doing well. I checked all my params and all is good. Are they very difficult to establish and any thoughts on what we can do. Each piece was about 6" x 3" when fragged. I hate to have to frag into a bunch of tiny frags.

surge19us
08/04/2009, 01:12 PM
The area on the base my just be damage from the fragging. it sounds like they are coloring up with the purple tips. They are not fast growers but not the slowest either.

sanababit
08/28/2009, 10:44 PM
some are difficult and mostly fragile, but are not by anymeans impossible to keep, they have a really nice structure and colors

sana