PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer keeps overflowing...help

vdhillon2
08/05/2009, 08:59 AM
I have a Coralife skimmer in my sump. It is in the same section of my sump that I have the water entering. The water then overflows the refugium and flows over into the return section. My return section is plumbed with a float valve which is directly connected to my RO/DI unit, which goes off twice a day for ten minutes. So the level in the return section rises and falls with evaporation and refilling.
The problem is my skimmer, it keeps overflowing. I'm thinking it has something to do with the return water level. I can leave the skimmer adjusted so that it is bubbling just to the bottom of the collecting cup and it will be fine for 2 days, collect a little skimate, and then on the third day the whole bottom of my stand is wet, because the skimmer is overflowing..

Any suggestions?

thanks

cobbobby
08/05/2009, 09:08 AM
Could be a few things. The venturi could be getting clogged with sw so check that and run some hot fw through it. Second could be additives or any sort of water conditioner, food...etc. And third could be that its just a coralife skimmer : )

sedor
08/05/2009, 09:17 AM
It takes time for a skimmer to break in as well. At first they generally have a couple overflows because they are skimming very wet. Once the grime and stuff builds up it will work better.

vdhillon2
08/05/2009, 10:43 AM
the skimmer is over a year old. I've only been having this problem more recently.
Its the wet skimate that just starts pouring over...
Does the level of the return chamber make a difference on the skimmer? I wouldn't think so, but its the only thing I can relate to it.

Coral Hind
08/05/2009, 11:36 AM
I "had" a coralife skimmer in my sump and it use to do the same thing. If the sump level increases just slightly it would overflow.

You might also need to clean your venturi. If not enough air is going into the pump it will pump more water and overflow. Make sure the output hose is not blocked and try raising it above the water to see if that helps.

tank41
08/05/2009, 11:46 AM
The first thing that came to mind before I had even read your post was this has to be a coralife super skimmer. I have the same model and what I have learned is you have to have it located in a constant water level without fluctuating. Even just a fraction can set it off and cause it to overflow. I even think it says that in the manual but have also read it in a few coralife threads.

cobbobby
08/05/2009, 12:07 PM
All in sump skimmers have to be in a consistent water level to work. If they change a cm it will screw them up. Most likely it overflows when your water level increases.

Mish1
08/05/2009, 02:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15477713#post15477713 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tank41
The first thing that came to mind before I had even read your post was this has to be a coralife super skimmer. I have the same model and what I have learned is you have to have it located in a constant water level without fluctuating. Even just a fraction can set it off and cause it to overflow. I even think it says that in the manual but have also read it in a few coralife threads.

+1

I have the 125 and these skimmers do not do well when the water level fluctuates. My advice would be to get an ATO system with a float sensor which will keep the water level in the sump at a more consistent level.

HighlandReef
08/05/2009, 03:06 PM
what these guys said, ato is needed for an in sump skimmer

Zach.Attack6
08/05/2009, 04:35 PM
same problem with mine don't even run it anymore