PDA

View Full Version : Aquacontroller jr VS. ReefKeeper Lite

kikireef
08/05/2009, 11:22 AM
I have been looking at both of these units carefully and I am torn between the two of them. Does anyone have any experience ore recommendations from past experience with them? I like that the Reefkeeper lite can control up to 16 devices whereas the aquacontroller jr only can control up to 12. Otherwise many functions seem the same. Am I wrong in believing this?

dave2184
08/05/2009, 02:17 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1600902

kretzkiller
08/05/2009, 02:24 PM
personal preference...are you really going to hook 16 devices up to it?

Amoore311
08/05/2009, 02:52 PM
The link provided in the second post is to the Digital Aquatics forums. You are more than likely to get a fairly biased response there.

I answered your post in the General Forums you posted this identical thread in. I'll see it here too just in case.

You have web support now with the AC JR. The RKL does not. I can effectively monitor and my equipment and system online, or even on my cell phone. It gives me every control I would have standing in front of the controller, quite literally from anywhere in the world with internet access.

That is the biggest, and only real difference, between the two. If you are really going to use 16 outlets, then you really have no choice as to what controller you need lol. I highly doubt you would use 16 outlets though.

For my 180 I will have the following plugged into the AC JR, amount of recepticles they take up I will put in "()":

Return Pump (1)
Halides (1)
Actinics (1)
Heater (1)
Fan (1)
Calcium Reactor Solenoid/Recirc Pump or Dosing Pump (haven't decided on 2 part or reactor yet) (2)
Skimmer Pumps (2)

That's 9, and I really wouldn't have to have the Skimmer Pumps plugged into the controller at all, as they would always be turned on. Should I need more than 1 fan to cool the tank, that would put me at 10.

My powerheads are Vortechs, so they have their own controllers.

Amoore311
08/05/2009, 02:54 PM
Here is the link for the Web Interface Program for the ACJR

http://sites.google.com/site/acserial2web/

tcfab
08/05/2009, 03:28 PM
I have a reef keeper and I don't think I would ever purchase another one.

solitude127
08/05/2009, 04:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15479003#post15479003 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tcfab
I have a reef keeper and I don't think I would ever purchase another one.

Because it fulfilled everything you need or because you don't like it?

tcfab
08/05/2009, 04:35 PM
I don't like it. I had one that the ph value was alway way off, I calibrated the probe and it was showing my ph was at 7.5 so I first thought maybe it did'nt calibrate right so I recalibrated it and it said the same thing 7.5. My brother had a reef keeper also (not anymore because he had problems to) so i borrowed his head unit and as soon as I plugged it in it said my ph was 8.1 (same probe all I did was change head unit). My brothers was sticking on some channels that were supposed to turn off and on, on the wavemaker setup after about 3 months channel 2 was just stuck on the "always on" no matter how you programmed that channel it was always hot, even if you programmed it to off. So that is 2 reef keepers that I have seen fail I don't think I would purchace another one, I am saving for a aquacontroller 3 pro.

dave2184
08/05/2009, 05:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15479383#post15479383 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tcfab
I don't like it. I had one that the ph value was alway way off, I calibrated the probe and it was showing my ph was at 7.5 so I first thought maybe it did'nt calibrate right so I recalibrated it and it said the same thing 7.5. My brother had a reef keeper also (not anymore because he had problems to) so i borrowed his head unit and as soon as I plugged it in it said my ph was 8.1 (same probe all I did was change head unit). My brothers was sticking on some channels that were supposed to turn off and on, on the wavemaker setup after about 3 months channel 2 was just stuck on the "always on" no matter how you programmed that channel it was always hot, even if you programmed it to off. So that is 2 reef keepers that I have seen fail I don't think I would purchace another one, I am saving for a aquacontroller 3 pro.

The channel 2 sticking on is because that is an electronicly switched channel and a low power factor device pugged in to it or channel 3 will some times cause it stay on it is not because the unit is defective.

As for the ph issue, are both head units running the same firmware and is it the newest one out? are all the modules running the newest firmware?

tcfab
08/05/2009, 06:31 PM
As far as I know they are both the same firmware, we bought them at the same time. So how do you get channel 2 "unstuck"?

dave2184
08/05/2009, 06:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15479998#post15479998 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tcfab
As far as I know they are both the same firmware, we bought them at the same time. So how do you get channel 2 "unstuck"?

Run your pumps on either channes 1 or 4. Try putting your lighting or heater on 2 and switch it on and off to see if that fixes the issue. Low power factor devices can force channels 2 or 3 to leak power when they're supposed to actualy be off, making them appear to be stuck on.

I had my aqualifter on chnnel 3 for my ATO, and it would do this switched it to 4 and put my heater on 3 and it fixed the issue of the aquaifter staying on.

tcfab
08/05/2009, 06:45 PM
I will give it a try.

kikireef
08/06/2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I was doing more research last night and just read everyone's posts and I will be purchasing the Jr today. As far as needing more than 12 outlets of control. I will not need them currently however my plan is to upgrade to a 200-300 gallon tank in a few years when I move out of my condo into a house which is why I was semi-concerned with the outlets but I am realizing that I don't actually need to "control" 12 devices since many are running 24/7 such as skimmer and return pump.

jcovercash
08/06/2009, 10:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15479769#post15479769 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dave2184
The channel 2 sticking on is because that is an electronicly switched channel and a low power factor device pugged in to it or channel 3 will some times cause it stay on it is not because the unit is defective.

As for the ph issue, are both head units running the same firmware and is it the newest one out? are all the modules running the newest firmware?

IMO this is a crock.... This is my biggest complaint about the RK... I have 3 PC-4's and I can't seem to hook my stuff in any configuration that doesn't put a low power device in a 2-3 spot.... Why wouldn't they put mechanical relays in all spots?

Also one of my PC-4's came with a channel that continusly turns on and off rapidly and DA's solution was "ohh you must have it set on a timer". Even though it was brand new and I even reset everything, no matter what I hook to that outlet it turns on and off rapidly....

Also whenever my ATO comes on, or my Display lights come on (3 different outlets), my stupid Fuge light flickers on and off, and its not even on the same PC-4 as the Display lights, and I know it has to do with a fault in the PC-4 because I have used this light before on regular timers and it never did this.

Overall I am very disappointed in the ReefKeeper and honestly couldn't recommend it, and IMO their service sucks as they just kind of blew away my problem as user issues. Hell their instructions just plain SUCK too, I was able to figure it out, but someone without a lot knowledge on electronics would just be lost.

If I got another one i wouldn't look at any product DA's offered.......

dave2184
08/06/2009, 11:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15483466#post15483466 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jcovercash
IMO this is a crock.... This is my biggest complaint about the RK... I have 3 PC-4's and I can't seem to hook my stuff in any configuration that doesn't put a low power device in a 2-3 spot.... Why wouldn't they put mechanical relays in all spots?

Also one of my PC-4's came with a channel that continusly turns on and off rapidly and DA's solution was "ohh you must have it set on a timer". Even though it was brand new and I even reset everything, no matter what I hook to that outlet it turns on and off rapidly....

Also whenever my ATO comes on, or my Display lights come on (3 different outlets), my stupid Fuge light flickers on and off, and its not even on the same PC-4 as the Display lights, and I know it has to do with a fault in the PC-4 because I have used this light before on regular timers and it never did this.

I wish they had all the channels with relays it woud make things so much easier for alot of us.

The on and off rapidy is not a low power factor issue that is deffinaty a bad outet if the channel was not progrmmed as a wave maker on accident.

The Light fickering issue was being discussed on thier forum. They are working on an update for this, has something to do with the firmware.

PrangeWay
08/06/2009, 11:37 AM
I'd go reefkeeper just becasue I remember how Neptune tried to gouge us when they had no competition... (in the days before DA, Profilux, etc etc).

jcovercash
08/06/2009, 11:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15483748#post15483748 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dave2184
I wish they had all the channels with relays it woud make things so much easier for alot of us.

The on and off rapidy is not a low power factor issue that is deffinaty a bad outet if the channel was not progrmmed as a wave maker on accident.

The Light fickering issue was being discussed on thier forum. They are working on an update for this, has something to do with the firmware.

I mean don't get me wrong. it works good for me, but I think it has some quirks that are the kind that need to be worked out before something is released.... I just wish the outlet deal wasn't an issue.

I would heavily look at other options if I was looking at another controller though.

dave2184
08/06/2009, 02:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15483819#post15483819 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jcovercash
I mean don't get me wrong. it works good for me, but I think it has some quirks that are the kind that need to be worked out before something is released.... I just wish the outlet deal wasn't an issue.

I would heavily look at other options if I was looking at another controller though.

I hear ya for the price it's a good entry level controller, not the best and has a few minor issues that should get fixed as they roll out new firmware updates. With how many of them they pushed out the door at $99 I'm not suprised to see a few bugs. It does what I need it to and can expand (to an extent) if needed. I could have spent 2-3 times as much buying timers, temp controller, ATO unit, and a PH controller, so I'm happy with it.