PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here know alot about Bangai Cardinals?

90GalFOWLR
08/05/2009, 07:39 PM
So only being 1/2 informed on the subject I went out and got a 2nd Bangai over the weekend. Turns out is was a male and my HUGE established male in my tank harrassed it. The new one hid behind a powerhead until I put him in a breeder untill I could get back to the store.

Today the store let me exchange him for another. This one is my last chance without costing more money. The new new one is in the tank and kind of has the same reaction, but a lil different.

As soon as the new one got put in the water it went straight to my established bangai and stayed next to him. The est. one tollerated that for a few seconds and then turned and looked like he bit the top/rear fin of the new one. Didnt take any off though.

Now the est. one chases the new one pretty aggressively if they get near each other. But other times they will get right next to each other for a few seconds before the chasing begins.

One time they got next to each other my est. one did a quick quiver top movement for a few seconds before he began chasing the new one around the tank again.

Did I end up with another male?

IFbettas
08/05/2009, 08:23 PM
Often times when you keep a banggai alone for long enough they won't tolerate any other banggais anymore, whether male or female. Most likely the established one will never get along with any others. The best way to get a pair established is to introduce a group of 4-5 at the same time and once you end up with a pair get rid of the others before the pair kills them.

90GalFOWLR
08/05/2009, 08:45 PM
Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks! :(

NexDog
08/06/2009, 04:08 AM
I started with 3 small ones. Two paired and killed the third. The pair now spawn regularly and I have 6 babies in my tank from 4 spawns this year. Three I just found last week in my overflows.

Wolverine
08/06/2009, 07:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15482000#post15482000 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NexDog
I started with 3 small ones. Two paired and killed the third.

That's very common when you have 3 of them.

Stanley-Reefer
08/06/2009, 07:36 PM
I have 3 and some in the overflows too that are getting good sized.

I have 2 males and one female in my display. They pair until the male has the babies then she pairs with the other male.

She gets around.:D