PDA

View Full Version : Anthias fish for reef tank

AquaWave523
08/06/2009, 08:24 AM
I've read up on this fish but want personal experiences. Have anyone kept these fish in a 90 gallon? Whats your take on them?

What are they not compatible with?

I plan on having 3 of them....

current stock:
2 clown
1 royal gramma
3 blue/green chromis

plan to get:
1 blue hippo tang
1 jawfish
1 angel

Fizz71
08/06/2009, 08:32 AM
Which ones? Some Anthias are easier than others. Some like the Purple Queen are d*mn near impossible to keep for more than a few months and only for the"experts" IMO.

The only thing you have to watch with Anthias is they prefer to eat only a little bit but often (several times a day) rather then one big meal.

Get one male and 2 or 3 females for a nice shoal.

BCreefmaker
08/06/2009, 08:34 AM
my personal experience with them, im not sure if it had to do with the fish it self or our suppliers at the LFS i worked at, but i noticed even healthy looking specimens quickly deteriorated, even bad looking large tangs that were stuffed into 25G tanks had a better chances in my opinion. in never kept them or heard or them successfully being kept other then online in less then a 120G, but if you have lots of swimming room and fewer tank mates it might work out. but i tend to believe the tank restrictions for this fish much more then others, its not just a water quality thing for them. hopefully having 3 will help since they are a social fish. good luck on whatever you decide.

HotHotHot
08/06/2009, 10:05 AM
I have some Bartletts, but I have a 225.

Unfortunately, I'd expect some initial losses. Once they acclimate though, they should be ok.

My clowns got territorial when they saw similar sized fish, but that abated.

They're a nice fish, pretty and well behaved. They do like live food but will also take pellets and flake. They *really* like ArctiPods.

Nanz
08/06/2009, 12:06 PM
Lyretails are my favorite, I have one male and 1 female but they prefer a heram of females. I only bought one because of my tank size. I dont think these fish ever get full of food though, hehe

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/158010TankRight.jpg

Korrine
08/06/2009, 12:13 PM
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-04/ac/index.php

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/anthiina.htm

I plan to have a harem of probably Lyretails when I get a 180g up and going.

192clark
08/06/2009, 07:08 PM
I have Lyretails also they seem to be a bit stronger than say the squareback Anthia. I did learn once an anthia starts downhill that may very well likely be the end. No trouble with Lyretails.

KillerReef
08/21/2009, 12:59 AM
any issues with lighting? I've read that they can be sensitive to strong lighting and possibly lose color. Thanks, just doing my research...

nanshaw2001
08/21/2009, 05:09 AM
So the lyre tails are a little easier? I've not had much luck in my 150 but it's still kind of new...only being set up since may. Thinking of an anthias for my birthday present next month!

mikid
08/21/2009, 08:23 AM
ive had lyretails twice and without any long term success.....a few months,ive had bartletts now for 6 months,they appear to be easier,but one note,they might be a little aggressive to each other until the domiante male is formed,get at least 5 to start with...they are a little more expensive but i believe its worth it....

EnglishRebel
08/21/2009, 10:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15567204#post15567204 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by KillerReef
any issues with lighting? I've read that they can be sensitive to strong lighting and possibly lose color. Thanks, just doing my research...

I think that refers to the Square spot Anthia where the square spot will fade under intense lighting. I have (or had) four females and one male Lyretail (in a 190). The one female who was the smallest and shyest died a few weeks ago. The male "bullies" (well chased the females to let them know he is the boss) from time to time -- especially during feeding time and can be agressive (although not to my Jawfish as they spit sand in his face :lol: ) so I would put them in towards the end.
They do feed all day and if I throw any food in they go crazy so make sure all your other fish are getting their fair share as the will try and eat everything that goes in.

KillerReef
08/21/2009, 11:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15568628#post15568628 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EnglishRebel
so I would put them in towards the end.

Good tip, thanks...

They do feed all day and if I throw any food in they go crazy so make sure all your other fish are getting their fair share as the will try and eat everything that goes in.

This is the part about Anthias that worries me. I have had nitrate issues in the past and it worries me to overfeed. I'm bolstering up my CUC so I'm hoping this won't be an issue, especially if they eat everything quickly...

Grassroots
08/21/2009, 11:45 AM
Lyretails are my favorite fish. In my experience they are easy to keep and have long term success. I am currently keeping a single lyretail in 40 breeder and am having no problems.

Once they are established I find them extremely hardy and they are only fed once or twice a day and I havent seen any issues. Unfortunately I lost my "old" lyretail 5+years old because I made a mistake and it jumped from the tank. My current fish is very young and is male. My tank is semi aggressive with a couple of damsels (that I bought for show not to cycle), a wrasse and himself currently but I plan on adding one more fish.

My young male seems to be fine with 2 feedings a day like my old one and is getting a little on a the chunky side and he holds his own against the damsels and wrasse. I believe that these fish are easy to take care of once they are established.