PDA

View Full Version : canister filter necessary?

waywaywest
08/06/2009, 10:08 AM
Hi, I've read the great posts for newbies re filtration, and am wondering if there are alternatives to canisters for mechanical filtration? Due to space limitations and aesthetics (less junk in the tank) I'd prefer not to have a canister filter running 24/7.

Is this stupid and irresponsible of me or can my small 60 gallon tank survive just fine with the biological filtration and occasional mechanical (i.e. run a hang-on filter to suck out the floating stuff periodically?).

Thanks!

stingythingy45
08/06/2009, 10:11 AM
A canister filter is probably the worst thing you can put on a SW tank.
I'd look into a good HOB skimmer.

guinness0514
08/06/2009, 10:12 AM
I am sure you will get a mixed bag of responses here. I too wonder this question. I have a 4 part canister filter sitting in a box waiting to be plugged up. I have heard some people say that if you setup is right (skimmer/live sand/live rock) you should not need to use mechanical as sometimes it can filter too much. Also the pads, if not cleaned regularly can cause nitrate issue. I will be following this thread further to see how other people chime in...

der_wille_zur_macht
08/06/2009, 10:18 AM
The answer to this question is: it depends.

If you are planning on using your canister filter in the "traditional" manner - that is, putting biological and mechanical media in it, then sure - it'll work, but there are better ways of accomplishing the same end result. Most biological and mechanical media traditionally used for aquariums is considered inappropriate for a modern reef tank, because it basically just traps waste and lets it decay into less harmful waste. This is all fine and good, but the problem is that you don't really want this "less harmful" waste in your tank, either.

Hence, the "modern" approach to reef keeping dictates that mechanical and biological media in a canister filter is a bad idea. Instead, people use protien skimmers to physically remove waste from their tanks, and rely on live rock and/or sand for the biological filtration component.

Even assuming this modern approach, a canster in itself isn't a terrible thing - it just depends on how you choose to use it. For instance, many people choose to run a canister filter on their reef tank with nothing but chemical media (GFO or carbon) in it. This is a great idea, and won't cause any problems at all.

All of that is assuming you want the standard modern mixed reef aquarium. If you are just going to do a few hardy fish, then a canister filter is totally fine, and the "less harmful waste" won't be a big problem.

So, in summary, canister filters are neutral - wether they will help or hurt depends on how you use them, and what your goals for your tank are.

waywaywest
08/06/2009, 10:19 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15483269#post15483269 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stingythingy45
I'd look into a good HOB skimmer.

Oh yeah, sorry, I'm running a Ramora skimmer and have recently replaced the crushed-coral substrate with nice white sand (live? Not sure).

der_wille_zur_macht
08/06/2009, 10:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15483323#post15483323 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by waywaywest
nice white sand (live? Not sure).

It will be in short order (a few weeks).

waywaywest
08/06/2009, 10:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15483320#post15483320 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by der_wille_zur_macht

So, in summary, canister filters are neutral - wether they will help or hurt depends on how you use them, and what your goals for your tank are.

Thanks for the very informative response. The problem with asking your local reef store is that you're never sure whether they're advising you based on your best interests or theirs. The guy I talked to was adamant that I needed a canister filter ($500 retail).

In that I've decided to stick to LR/LS/skimming alone, would using a small hang-on filter with carbon in it helpful? I'd prefarrably use it regularly but periodically, and also after instances where there's a lot of floating particulate (disturbed sand bed, algae removal, etc.). Does that make sense?

der_wille_zur_macht
08/06/2009, 10:39 AM
That would be a fine thing to do, but I wouldn't call it critical. Many reef keepers get by with *only* a skimmer, so if that fits your budget and plans, go for it.

Keep in mind that all these decisions are a trade off. If you use a hang on filter to run carbon, you get the benefit of the carbon, but it's also one more thing to maintain. And, in a smaller tank, it's often the case that slightly more frequent water changes solve a lot of problems, and make this sort of ancillary equipment unnecessary.

IslandCrow
08/06/2009, 11:42 AM
Personally, I like canister filters, but tagging onto the very good points der_wille_zur_macht brought up, I have a caveats. First, although I agree canister filters work very well for running carbon, I also use mine with a micron filter for water polishing. What I mean by that is I remove some of the very fine particles (mainly inorganic) that my protein skimmer may not get. It makes my water noticeably clearer. Now, here's the caveat. I only use my canister filter occasionally for this purpose. . .in my case, about one week out of the month. Not only does it ensure I don't allow the "less harmful waste" to accumulate, but I don't believe any more than this would be particularly helpful.

So, in short, if you have a canister filter already, you may as well get your money's worth and use it with either carbon or a micron filter for water polishing. If you don't have one already, although it can be useful, there are probably better places to spend your money.